Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846655 times)

ian

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #3725 on: 04 March, 2015, 09:35:10 pm »
Never underestimate the value of a good editor. A million self-published Kindle books agree.

The hyperdrive blew in 2010. But in 2006, there was the teleporter incident. While superficially similar, that malfunction didn't exactly turn crew inside out, it performed some kind of anatomical origami on them. They're still straightening things out. No one goes down to that subdeck any more either.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3726 on: 04 March, 2015, 09:37:30 pm »
But how many people remember Robinson stripping naked, swimming out to the sinking ahip and filling his pockets with Useful Things?  This seems unlikely for any non-marsupial life form.

Maybe his mother were a hamster.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #3727 on: 04 March, 2015, 10:05:34 pm »
But how many people remember Robinson stripping naked, swimming out to the sinking ahip and filling his pockets with Useful Things?  This seems unlikely for any non-marsupial life form.

Maybe his mother were a hamster.

I doubt that's plausible. Hamsters are terrible swimmers.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3728 on: 04 March, 2015, 10:25:18 pm »
The Bone Clocks - David Mitchell

Can't remember if I mentioned this already but it's so good it deserves to be mentioned again anyway. I love his determinedly middlebrow prose. He's the antithesis of Will Self, who I also love, as I may have mentioned, but for sheer readability, Mitchell takes the prize every time.

This is a fine example of a book that isn't spoiled by the improbability of its events, even though they can seem quite bizarre in the broadly naturalistic narrative.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #3729 on: 05 March, 2015, 09:54:49 am »
The Bone Clocks - David Mitchel

I'm going to read this, and I'm holding you responsible Citoyen (I just spent an entire £2.80 on it). I want to know what middlebrow prose is. I'm trying to better myself, as my prose is probably lowbrow enough to be mistaken for a moustache.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3730 on: 05 March, 2015, 10:00:03 am »
The Bone Clocks - David Mitchell

Can't remember if I mentioned this already but it's so good it deserves to be mentioned again anyway. I love his determinedly middlebrow prose. He's the antithesis of Will Self, who I also love, as I may have mentioned, but for sheer readability, Mitchell takes the prize every time.

This is a fine example of a book that isn't spoiled by the improbability of its events, even though they can seem quite bizarre in the broadly naturalistic narrative.

I loved that book.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

citoyen

« Reply #3731 on: 05 March, 2015, 10:09:19 am »
I want to know what middlebrow prose is.

Has a sense of style but is so readable that it's liable to get a recommendation on the Richard & Judy book club. Captain Corelli's Mandolin is the paradigm.

David Mitchell is an accomplished writer and you get the feeling that he is deliberately aiming for readability but would be very capable of Will Self style verbal pyrotechnics if he turned his mind to it.

« Reply #3732 on: 05 March, 2015, 10:43:07 am »
I want to know what middlebrow prose is.

Has a sense of style but is so readable that it's liable to get a recommendation on the Richard & Judy book club. Captain Corelli's Mandolin is the paradigm.

David Mitchell is an accomplished writer and you get the feeling that he is deliberately aiming for readability but would be very capable of Will Self style verbal pyrotechnics if he turned his mind to it.

Damn. David Mitchell? He was the author of that steaming  pile called Cloud Atlas, wasn't he? Had I realised I probably wouldn't have stumped up.

Isn't the Kindle a wonderous thing, click, click, read a couple of pages, buy, without ever being certain what the book is called or who wrote it.

You should be on commission.

So far, I'm enjoying it although I find it a little contrived, the characters a bit too two dimensional. Nobody said "Feck" in the 80's did they? and the female lead probably wouldn't have said "fuck" except with friends. I shall give it a chance.

ian

« Reply #3733 on: 05 March, 2015, 10:47:42 am »
Captain Corelli's Mandolin is the paradigm.

Oh shit. You could have warned me. If you'd been paying attention you'd know the kind of agitated state that even thinking of Louis de Bernières induces. My only attempt is the copy of Captain Corelli's Mandolin that likely still moulders in the undergrowth at the end of Frith Street W12 like forgotten nuclear waste.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #3734 on: 05 March, 2015, 10:55:28 am »
I'm glad I'm not clever enough to despise Captain Corelli. I got a great deal of pleasure from it.
Milk please, no sugar.

red marley

« Reply #3735 on: 05 March, 2015, 11:03:07 am »
Me too. I enjoyed his South American trilogy even more, which I believe could be described as 'Magical Realism', although I have never read any Gabriel García Márquez, so what do I know? But they did feature enormous cats, which was nice.

citoyen

« Reply #3736 on: 05 March, 2015, 11:05:46 am »
As with all recommendations here or elsewhere, caveat emptor. ;)

So far, I'm enjoying it although I find it a little contrived, the characters a bit too two dimensional.

That, I think, is deliberate and all part of the effect. For me, it only serves to heighten the weirdness when it kicks in.

Nobody said "Feck" in the 80's did they?

I did wonder about that, but she has an Irish mother so...

ian

« Reply #3737 on: 05 March, 2015, 11:44:01 am »
I will countenance they I may be odd. But I found Captain Corelli's Mandolin to be insufferably cloying and the pacing just lolled around with all the animation of a dead fish floating in the harbour. It was all terribly, terribly I'm Going to Write a Proper Book. But it wasn't a book I wanted to read. I mean, I can understand it being not a bad book. But I did throw my copy over a hedge in a fit of enough already. It was also used to stun the albino assassin in my alternate denouement of the fabulous Dan Brown epic Inferno (you probably don't recall, as I think everyone had bailed out on that thread, that it was a casually tossed copy of CCM that saved our debonair historic symbologist (trust me, it's a job) from being shot by the menacing silhouette of the albino assassin). We should all be grateful for this as it allowed Robert Langdon to go on and buy some name brand tweed jackets and have sex with enigmatic, athletically striding European ladies. Possibly in jaundice coloured tights. Them, not him. And not during the sex. Although maybe that's a Thing too. I'm not Googling.

But then there's stuff like The Martian (and what was the other one I complained about, oh, Brilliance) which come loaded with five star reviews and gushing praise, but I think, hold on, this is genuinely awful. Now, when choosing a book (and I'm not very clever, which I believe you should have established by this point), I only read the one and two star reviews. This is pretty good practice, because if I ever publish a book, it'll probably only have one and two star reviews.

citoyen

« Reply #3738 on: 05 March, 2015, 12:11:55 pm »
I always read the 1 and 2 star reviews - they're often more informative than the 5 star reviews, whether or not I agree with them.

Being liked by Richard & Judy is usually enough to put me off a book, but I make an exception for David Mitchell. I loved Cloud Atlas too.

fuzzy

« Reply #3739 on: 05 March, 2015, 01:51:15 pm »
Books are like films though aren't they. It doesn't matter what the Great and the Good of the critical circle think, they could wax lyrical about how the prose drips like nectar from the pages or how the characters are about as engaging as a severely irritating STI being scrubbed down with bleach, if the book grabs you by the imagination bone, you will enjoy it.

I've watched and loved many a filum or read and enjoyed many a book slated by the circle. Fuck em.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3740 on: 05 March, 2015, 06:56:52 pm »
I loved Captain Corelli, despite the first 50 pages being a total slog and the last 50 being utterly infuriating and rage inducing. I love the South American trilogy even more.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3741 on: 05 March, 2015, 08:34:38 pm »
Me too. I enjoyed his South American trilogy even more, which I believe could be described as 'Magical Realism', although I have never read any Gabriel García Márquez, so what do I know? But they did feature enormous cats, which was nice.

My favourite books in the whole world. :D
I tried a GGM book and it just got on my tits.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #3742 on: 05 March, 2015, 08:57:48 pm »
Books are like films though aren't they. It doesn't matter what the Great and the Good of the critical circle think, they could wax lyrical about how the prose drips like nectar from the pages or how the characters are about as engaging as a severely irritating STI being scrubbed down with bleach, if the book grabs you by the imagination bone, you will enjoy it.

I've watched and loved many a filum or read and enjoyed many a book slated by the circle. Fuck em.

I dunno. I asked my friend Jess, south London's only vampire librarian, and she grades books using this matrix. CCM falls into the upper left yawn quadrant whereas The Martian is entrenched in the lower left premeditated murder quadrant.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #3743 on: 06 March, 2015, 09:00:28 pm »
I look at rose in two ways. Good prose should either astonish the reader with its style and originality, or it should disappear into the background so smoothly that the reader doesn't notice anything other than the plot. Bad prose can do neither. Mr Donaldson, I wish to drag neither a thesaurus nor the OED with me when I read a book. Your prose is very clever willy-waving wank. Mr Brown, yours is just Janet and John level shit.

What I like, in the main, is style 2 but with extras. I am re-reading Ted Sturgeon's short stories at the moment (as my Black Dog has locked up my own writing) and he drops little extras in that are like small non-dreaming jewels. Writing of a man with what may be learning difficulties of an odd sort, he writes that his character understands well but hears slowly.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3744 on: 08 March, 2015, 11:52:18 pm »
The best bit about CCM was the pine marten :-)

Apart from when it died  :'(

tiermat

« Reply #3745 on: 09 March, 2015, 11:09:47 am »
This week's read is "Annihilation" by Jeff Vandermeer, the first in the Southern Reach trilogy.

Quite good so far.

Now onto "Authority", the second in the trilogy.

Still have NFI what is happening.

Now onto "Acceptance".

(click to show/hide)

I dunno....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3746 on: 09 March, 2015, 11:33:12 am »
(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

« Reply #3747 on: 09 March, 2015, 11:34:41 am »
I'd not thought of that one, Mr L, could be (as it is set, at least the first book and most of the second book, anyway in the Florida Everglades).

You have spoilt it for me now :)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3748 on: 09 March, 2015, 11:39:17 am »
ph33r my l33t r3m0t3 r3@d1ng 5k1llz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

« Reply #3749 on: 10 March, 2015, 10:31:05 am »
I like this review of The Bone Clocks - does a good job of picking out both what's good about it and its flaws - but be warned, it contains lots of SPOILERS...

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/08/soul-cycle

It is flawed, I'll admit that, but I still loved it. The big question is whether or not all this dazzling storytelling amounts to anything worth saying. Maybe, maybe not, but the corollary question is: does it really matter if it doesn't?