Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846710 times)

simonp

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #3850 on: 28 April, 2015, 01:07:26 pm »
The Price of Inequality by Joseph Stiglitz.

fuzzy

« Reply #3851 on: 28 April, 2015, 10:59:00 pm »
The Untouchables by Eliot Ness and Oscar Fraley

Written in 1957 and the prose reflects the era in which Ness operated and the book was written. The tag line is "Upon which is based tha fabulous, compelling television series". My copy was printed in 1968 and sold for 3/6 :D

When I consider the subject matter of the book and the target of the oeprations and reflect with my professional head on, I am quite humbled by the courage displayed by The Untouchables. Walking into gangland brew houses with no back up. Operating in an environment where knowing who you could trust was a luxury. Improvisation to overcome obstacles. So far, a cracking read.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3852 on: 29 April, 2015, 08:41:39 am »
The Flying Scotsman

No, not about the train, but about Mr Obree, written by the same.

I am liking it (enjoying it is the wrong word as it his harrowing at times, especially his early suicide attempt).

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3853 on: 29 April, 2015, 05:47:42 pm »
Sins Of The Father ~ Graham Hurley.  Third in the series featuring copper Jimmy Suttle, who was a sidekick in Hurley's previous DI Joe Faraday series.  I hope the opening chapters really are full of rose-tinted kippers as otherwise it's painfully obvious that the Mystery African doned the kilin'.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3854 on: 30 April, 2015, 10:39:51 am »
Old Filth - Jane Gardam

Reading this on my dad's recommendation. It's interesting, well written, though I'm not entirely gripped - a bit too much in the way of description and not enough in the way of plot for my liking. I like the poignant, nostalgic tone though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3855 on: 01 May, 2015, 09:22:06 pm »
Making my way through Eric Schlosser's _Command and Control_, a history of US nuclear weapons accidents. So far it's a cracker.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3856 on: 02 May, 2015, 08:30:40 pm »
A new Mark Billingham, you say?  Thorne?

(Reaches for shopping list)

Yep, new Thorne.

Now started.  Not a single killin' yet chiz, but I'm only on page 12.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3857 on: 03 May, 2015, 09:05:13 pm »
Sitting in a tent in a Wet Wales, I've just finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I didn't really get into it until fairly close to the end - I've enjoyed it overall but not as much as the others so far.

Moving on, back to The Great Tolkien Read with The Two Towers.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3858 on: 04 May, 2015, 05:58:37 pm »

Yep, new Thorne.

Warning: this book contains dead badgers...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3859 on: 10 May, 2015, 09:41:54 pm »
Terra by Mitch Benn and The Death of Bees by Lisa O'Donnell.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #3860 on: 11 May, 2015, 10:17:02 pm »
Just finished Kameron Hurley's "Gods War" trilogy.
Excellent SF that messes with traditional gender roles in a future offworld Muslim society. Plus it has iky bugs.
Recommended.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #3861 on: 12 May, 2015, 08:13:22 am »
Magnus Mills. The Field of the Cloth of Gold.
Half way through.  Typical Mills territory. If anyone out there has read him, you'll know what I mean.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3862 on: 12 May, 2015, 01:36:06 pm »
I keep meaning to catch up on Mills as I think the most recent one I've read is The Scheme For Full Employment. TCtF: the slim volumes of Mills' short stories were published by former flatmates of Miss von Brandenburg.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3863 on: 12 May, 2015, 05:59:34 pm »

Yep, new Thorne.

Not reading any of Mark Billingham's books, so starting with Sleepyhead. 4.5 killin's so far.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3864 on: 12 May, 2015, 07:07:21 pm »
Magnus Mills. The Field of the Cloth of Gold.
Half way through.  Typical Mills territory. If anyone out there has read him, you'll know what I mean.

I thought I'd read more Magnus Mills than just The Restraint of Beasts, but apparently I haven't. Are they all worth reading after that?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3865 on: 12 May, 2015, 09:49:49 pm »
I liked them; whether this is any recommendation, OTOH...

« Reply #3866 on: 12 May, 2015, 10:41:21 pm »
I think the standard phrases are 'unique voice', 'deadpan humour', 'fabulous', 'mythic', 'whimsical'. "Odd, endearing and disturbing" describes most of them. In my experience they can be infuriating to the point that sometimes you want to throw the book across the room (I did that once after a particularly deceitful reveal midway through 'Explorers of the New Age' ) but then rush across to retrieve and read on. They are very easy to read. The themes seem generally to be related to worlds of systems, routine, work, and threats to those worlds/societies from outside. There is usually a sense of impending doom as a crisis looms.The books are usually narrated by a protagonist who is trying to find his way in whatever society is being described, and struggling.

The Restraint of Beasts was the one most grounded in a world which is most recognizable as ours, give or take couple of gratuitous/accidental murders.

All Quiet on the Orient Express (my favourite) can be pinpointed in a modern setting and location but is starting to get a bit weird.

Three to See the King .Not recommended. Very weird. I've forgotten it apart from something about wanting to live in a house 'made entirely of tin'.

The Scheme for Full Employment.  A couple of laugh-out loud moments. It's mainly about a system of routes for vans which are carrying spare parts for those vans, and cakes, between various depots. It has the given the team I work in now the phrase 'An early swerve' (eg I've worked late this week twice already so I think I'm going for an early swerve).

Explorers of the New Century. A sort of skewed Amundsen v Scott tale to be the first to reach the 'Agreed Furthest Point'

The Maintenance of Headway. Where Magnus Mills draws on his experience as a bus-driver (I think he still drives buses in London).  The idea is to maintain the ideal gaps between the buses but the system that the inspectors are trying to impose doesn't always suit the drivers.

A Cruel Bird Came to the Nest and Looked In.  Set in the made-up world of Greater Fallowfields. A model society except that nobody seems to be in charge - the Emperor is away somewhere - and nobody is equipped to do the job they have. Still, a pleasant enough place to live, except that the next society along seem to be building a railway through the woods directly towards Greater Fallowfields.

The Field of the Cloth of Gold. Halfway through. So far it's reminding me strongly of my experience of camping in Loughton before LEL 2013. That and it being a metaphor for imperialism and the Romans in Britain.

All strongly recommended from me (except Three to See the King) but don't blame me if you find them nonsense. A Cruel Bird, I think, is the most purely distilled Mills, so if you only read one more after The Restraint of Beats, then that should probably be the one. Oh, and if you think you an get tasters by reading his short stories - don't. They really are crap.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3867 on: 12 May, 2015, 11:12:51 pm »
Well, you've sold him to me at least, Nuncio.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3868 on: 13 May, 2015, 09:32:21 am »
The Last Policeman, then Countdown City by Ben H Winters

The protagonist is a straight-as-a-die young policeman in a disintegrating world. An asteroid will destroy everything in 3 month's time, civilization is ripping itself apart.

I didn't expect to like this, but was pulled in. The disintegration is just a backdrop to the slow-burn detection. Old-school detective novel in a pre-apocalyptic world.

Can't wait to get my hands on the last book in the trilogy.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3869 on: 13 May, 2015, 10:17:46 am »
Started Petersburg by Andrei Bely, then put it down again.  This book was described as a forerunner of Joyce's modernism, and (by Vladimir Nabakov?) as one of the four most important novels of the 20th Century, but when the author repeats entire paragraphs word for word for the sake of effect he can take his modernism and shove it.

Moved on to All That Follows by Jim Crace, whose novels I usually enjoy, but I can't bring myself to care about a has-been jazz musician with a faltering marriage living in a security-dictatorship UK.  It feels as if it was all done before, probably on TV in the early 60s.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3870 on: 13 May, 2015, 12:42:29 pm »
I’m a big fan of Jim Crace but struggled to get to the end of that one. Although his books are so very different from each other their strengths, or what is in them that appeals to me (like Magnus Mills’, strangely enough), are strongly imagined alternative worlds (but not in an SF sense). All That Follows was not like that other than it being set a few years in the future. His latest one, Harvest, is a return to that. I also like the way he writes, almost poetic at times in his earlier novels; after a while you realize you’re reading along to a lilting blank verse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3871 on: 13 May, 2015, 01:11:10 pm »
Harvest was so intense it was like a punch in the gut.  Before that I read Arcadia, which was also good but felt like a slice of something else - one of Ian McDonald's, maybe.

Re blank verse, lilting is the word I thought of to describe Petersburg's repetitions. I could imagine it being read by someone like Lawrence Olivier or Richard Burton à la Under Milk Wood. But not for the entire 800-900 pp of the thing.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3872 on: 13 May, 2015, 07:58:10 pm »
I bought All Quiet on the Orient Express last night, purely on the basis it was the cheapest kindle book...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3873 on: 14 May, 2015, 08:12:09 am »
Harvest was so intense it was like a punch in the gut.

Quarantine is like that too. A version of Jesus in the wilderness. Bold subject matter, but one of those books which leaves you feeling breathless and which lives with you long after you finish with it.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3874 on: 18 May, 2015, 10:33:45 am »
Just about to start Black Moon by Kenneth Calhoun.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.