Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846637 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #4000 on: 03 September, 2015, 08:16:18 pm »
s'welp me I'm ploughing my way though Us by David Nicholls. His writing is ok in bits, often making me smile which makes the process acceptable. Unfortunately it's the bits in between the bits that make it rather turgid for me. Somewhat ironic that I'm reading it at Mrs Ham's behest.

« Reply #4001 on: 03 September, 2015, 08:23:49 pm »
(sorry to book-stalk you, Ruthie!)
Don't Point That Thing At Me by Kyril Bonfiglioli - the first Charlie Mortdecai novel.

Hilariously, whimsically violent and terrifying.  It's a story about art theft, but written in a style that owes more than a little to PG Wodehouse.  I adored it.  Apparently they made of a film of it, which was a massive flop, and I'm not surprised because the genius of this book is all in the writing.

Also, a bit of it takes place at Carnforth Station and Leighton Moss RSPB reserve, and I've bin there on m'bike, so I enjoyed that too.
This sounds bloody brilliant! I avoided the film (which sounds like that sad thing - a bad Johnnie Depp movie), but the books sound right up my street. My library elf has instructions for a trip tomorrow.

I appear to have the relevant epub & mobi files.....   if you'd care to drop me a PM with an email address I can save your elf a trip....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #4002 on: 03 September, 2015, 08:40:11 pm »
I've just read "The Martian" which is really very good.
Just someone's butler

ian

« Reply #4003 on: 03 September, 2015, 10:23:45 pm »
I'm taking down all your names.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4004 on: 03 September, 2015, 10:58:40 pm »
I've just read "The Martian" which is really very good.

I heard the Martian's favourite tipple is advocaat.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4005 on: 04 September, 2015, 10:38:44 am »
I'm taking down all your names.

I can assure you I have no intention of reading it.

I might re-read Captain Corelli's Mandolin.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4006 on: 04 September, 2015, 12:23:11 pm »
Birds Without Wings, citoyen?

citoyen

« Reply #4007 on: 04 September, 2015, 12:33:03 pm »

Any good? And more to the point, would it upset ian?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4008 on: 04 September, 2015, 01:00:46 pm »
More detailed appraisal once I have left the land that the Internet forgot, aka Morocco, but I have managed to read my way through all but 2 of the Man Booker prize long list.

My favourites, so far are The Chimes and A Little Life.

Still to read are The Year of the Runaway (half way through) and A Short History of Seven Killings.

OK, so there are three I haven't read (I have now finished The Year of the Runaways and have started A Short History of Seven Killings) as The Fishermen is not, currently, available as an ebook and I still haven't been able to find a copy of Did You Ever Have a Family.

Here are my brief notes:

Anne Enright - The Green Road A story of an Irish family, from County Clare, spread over 3 decades.  Mother, father, 2 sons, 2 daughters.  Well written, not over long and interesting.

Laila Lalami - The Moor's Account A (sort of) re-telling of Don Quixote, but the main character is (unsurprisingly) a Moor and a slave, and it is set, mainly, in North America.  Even though the book is quite long, I didn't, ever, feel like "I wish this book would just end so I can get on with the next one".

Tom McCarthy - Satin Island Basically it is a book about writer's block.  Sounds like a bundle of fun, doesn't it? Well it is better than you might expect.

Andrew O'Hagan - The Illuminations This is an interesting one, as it appears to be two seperate stories, but they merge about half way through the book and make an interesting story of love, scandal and loss.

Manilynne Robinson - Lila I hates this book, really really hated it. Imagine a "Misery Memoir" made into fiction (so you can, instead of telling the truth, just make shit up) and you pretty much have it.

Anuradha Roy - Sleeping on Jupiter Interesting, funny and insightful, I really enjoyed this one.  It's a story of two people, basically, a young girl who ends up in an Ashram after all her family are killed and the woman who took her in when she first escaped the ashram.

Sunjeev Sahota - The Year of the Runaways A story of two people who escaped India and came to England, separately and the stories of the people around them, family, friends and love interest.  Another insightful book and quite enjoyable.

Anna Small - The Chimes I LOVED this book, set in a post-apocolyptic England, the populace is controlled by The Chimes and memories re physical objects.  The hero, Simon, and his friend Lucien, set out learn the truth and to change the world.

Anne Tyler - A Spool of Blue Thread An enjoyable book but I don't think it has a chance of making it past the long list (some argue it shouldn't have made it this far!)

Hanya Yanagihara - A Little Life I haven't read a book this good, either in story, or in writing style in a long, long time.  An author that can mix first and third person so effortlessly that you don't really notice it has to be REALLY good at what they do.  I laughed, I cried and I felt a certain emptiness once I had finished it.

The one thing all the books have in common, this year, is that they really are all very well written.  There is no pretentious carp (no Will Self! YAY!) I am willing to go out on a limb and predict that "A Little Life" will win.  Then again I am ALWAYS wrong with my prediction.  Even if it doesn't win I would, if asked to recommend one book out of the long list, recommend that one.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

« Reply #4009 on: 04 September, 2015, 01:17:54 pm »
Quite likely. The list of things that upset me is long. Captain Corelli's Stupid Mandolin at least had the good grace to brain the evil silhouetted albino villain before he could put a bullet through our tweedy symbologist's head. I'm pretty sure his head is tweedy. Did that really happen in the Da Vinci Code?

I'm almost inclined to read the rest of The Martian just to be annoyed about it. I've never understood those people who watch entire TV series just to complain how bad it was and how much they didn't enjoy it, but I think I see where they are at now. The warm sensation of righteous complaint. That quietly smouldering atomic pile of resentment over the time a book, film, or TV show has stolen. Any moment it could flare back into furious life. Fucking fuckity fuck fuck. I think Righteous Indignation actually powers the internet. If we could channel this infinitely renewal resource, we could potentially replace all current power sources. Imagine, a world powered by Righteous Indignation. Every keystroke on the internet converted into pure clean, if somewhat foul-mouthed, energy. Every 'fuck', every 'shit', every word of furious complaint, every exclaimation mark, every CAPITALISATION. All that glorious, fuming Righteous Indignation. I can feel the heat. My driveway lights could be kept on by Mildred Barnstable's of Tunbridge Wells continued simmering contempt for the Great British Bake Off.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4010 on: 04 September, 2015, 01:25:59 pm »
Gate of Fire - Stephen Pressfield.  Story told by a Greek picked up by the Persians on the battlefield after Thermopylae. Excellent.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4011 on: 04 September, 2015, 01:26:34 pm »
I appear to have the relevant epub & mobi files.....   if you'd care to drop me a PM with an email address I can save your elf a trip....
That's very kind, but we're a dead tree based household, and she likes the fresh air.

EDIT: ooh, it's here - and a day earlier than I expected. Hoorah!
(and it appears to have been a donation to the library. Which is nice.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4012 on: 04 September, 2015, 01:53:46 pm »
And of course things like iPlayer and streaming generally allow one to be Righteously Indignant at a time of one's choosing.

« Reply #4013 on: 04 September, 2015, 02:06:40 pm »

Any good? And more to the point, would it upset ian?

If you consider Captain Corelli to be worth rereading: very, and probably.

I don't often reread books, but I recently revisited Birds after 10 years, and it got me just as much as the first time.  I didn't even skip the Mustafa Kemal chapters this time around.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4014 on: 04 September, 2015, 07:21:57 pm »
Ian, if you didn't finish The Martian, I think the ending will bring you exactly what you're looking for....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4015 on: 04 September, 2015, 10:30:24 pm »
Ian, if you didn't finish The Martian, I think the ending will bring you exactly what you're looking for....

Advocaat?

« Reply #4016 on: 05 September, 2015, 02:00:21 pm »
Quite likely. The list of things that upset me is long. Captain Corelli's Stupid Mandolin at least had the good grace to brain the evil silhouetted albino villain before he could put a bullet through our tweedy symbologist's head. I'm pretty sure his head is tweedy. Did that really happen in the Da Vinci Code?

I'm almost inclined to read the rest of The Martian just to be annoyed about it. I've never understood those people who watch entire TV series just to complain how bad it was and how much they didn't enjoy it, but I think I see where they are at now. The warm sensation of righteous complaint. That quietly smouldering atomic pile of resentment over the time a book, film, or TV show has stolen. Any moment it could flare back into furious life. Fucking fuckity fuck fuck. I think Righteous Indignation actually powers the internet. If we could channel this infinitely renewal resource, we could potentially replace all current power sources. Imagine, a world powered by Righteous Indignation. Every keystroke on the internet converted into pure clean, if somewhat foul-mouthed, energy. Every 'fuck', every 'shit', every word of furious complaint, every exclaimation mark, every CAPITALISATION. All that glorious, fuming Righteous Indignation. I can feel the heat. My driveway lights could be kept on by Mildred Barnstable's of Tunbridge Wells continued simmering contempt for the Great British Bake Off.

So perfectly stated
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4017 on: 05 September, 2015, 08:45:29 pm »
"Alexander At The World's End" by Tom Holt.  Again.  I'll probably re-read, "The Walled Orchard" (likewise T. Holt) next.  Which is arse about face, but that's me all over; a right wee rebel.  Yeah... right.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4018 on: 07 September, 2015, 03:22:42 pm »
BTW, in Gates of Fire, Pressfield uses the term "banty cap". I've seen it before but I've no idea what it means.

Any suggestions?

« Reply #4019 on: 07 September, 2015, 03:24:22 pm »
BTW, in Gates of Fire, Pressfield uses the term "banty cap". I've seen it before but I've no idea what it means.

Any suggestions?

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/banty+caps
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4020 on: 07 September, 2015, 03:46:48 pm »

Any suggestions?

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/banty+caps

Yeah, I tried Google too. Hardly suitable for an ancient  Greek.

citoyen

« Reply #4021 on: 10 September, 2015, 10:19:35 am »
The Sirens of Titan - Kurt Vonnegut

If I had to put the Vonnegut books I've read in order of preference, they would be as follows:
Cat's Cradle
God Bless You, Mr Rosewater
Slaughterhouse-Five
Mother Night
Breakfast of Champions

I haven't quite worked out where Sirens fits in this list yet, but it's somewhere near the top. I love them all, in any case.

ian

« Reply #4022 on: 10 September, 2015, 10:47:15 am »
I recently read a load of Vonnegut (probably all of them) because they were 99p on Kindle. I still dunno what he was on, but it was evidently very good.

citoyen

« Reply #4023 on: 10 September, 2015, 12:44:14 pm »
I still dunno what he was on, but it was evidently very good.

Yeah, I downloaded all of them when they were 99p on Kindle, but I've been dipping in and out rather than read them all at once - still have at least another 9 on my digital to-read pile. I think it was after reading Cat's Cradle that I came to the conclusion that he's the sane one, it's the rest of us who are mad/on something.

« Reply #4024 on: 11 September, 2015, 12:16:51 am »
"Be brave, be strong" by Jill Homer (as recommended by Interzen).  Riding the 2009 Tour Divide,   I've got the guidebook & have very vague ambitions of 2-3 months as a retirement trip.   She did it in 24 days...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark