Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846709 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #4025 on: 12 September, 2015, 08:38:50 am »
Though a certain strain of readers might appreciate this.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4026 on: 12 September, 2015, 06:41:42 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4027 on: 17 September, 2015, 07:41:43 am »
Just started The City & The City by China Miéville. Very promising start. Never read any of his stuff before (and yes, I'm aware this isn't regarded as a good choice for first-timers) but clearly the boy can write, which bodes well.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4028 on: 17 September, 2015, 08:39:17 am »
If I'd started China Miéville's stuff with Kraken I wouldn't have read any more.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4029 on: 17 September, 2015, 08:48:38 am »
Just cracked out The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas  :'(

(click to show/hide)

Rattling through Stephen King's On Writing at the moment.

« Reply #4030 on: 18 September, 2015, 11:44:35 am »
Slaughterhouse Five - cant believe its taken me so long to get around to reading this, so it goes.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4031 on: 18 September, 2015, 01:42:18 pm »
It must seem a daft thing to get excited about but I have just received
 an original (hardback) copy of Mrs Balbir Singh's "Indian Cookery" inside
 is a stamp from the original bookshop, "Krishan's Book Shop
  - Hotel Claridges  _  New Delhi India

;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4032 on: 21 September, 2015, 05:56:28 pm »
Just started Go Set a Watchman.  Too early to say if it'll be worth the read.  Scout is now called Jean Louise, which is so close to Jean-Louis that every time I read it I do a double-take.  Bad name.  Haven't yet met anyone particularly admirable or even likeable.

Taking occasional times out to read a freebie penny dreadful by the name of Butcher Bird, by a chap called Kadrey.  Nobody likeable here, it's all tattooists, demons, assassins and dire liver-for-a-liver retribution.  Really, it's the last time I go to San Francisco.

« Reply #4033 on: 22 September, 2015, 10:09:34 am »
Marie Kondo, The life changing magic of tidying up.

The wife bought it and gave it to me to read based on the recommendation of a friend. It's a self help type book for decluttering.

Basically if you touch one of your possessions and it doesn't bring you joy, bin it.

Kondo's method also forbids the use of worn out clothes to be worn around the house, she calls it "loungewear" so the other half has vetoed any implementation of any of her methods of decluttering.

ian

« Reply #4034 on: 22 September, 2015, 10:45:40 am »
Just started Go Set a Watchman.  Too early to say if it'll be worth the read.  Scout is now called Jean Louise, which is so close to Jean-Louis that every time I read it I do a double-take.  Bad name.  Haven't yet met anyone particularly admirable or even likeable.

Taking occasional times out to read a freebie penny dreadful by the name of Butcher Bird, by a chap called Kadrey.  Nobody likeable here, it's all tattooists, demons, assassins and dire liver-for-a-liver retribution.  Really, it's the last time I go to San Francisco.

Go Set a Watchman was pretty dull, more of a sketch than a novel. I wasn't sure of its purpose other than to bank some cash. Mind you, I always thought To Kill a Mockingbird was a bit overrated.

I do like Richard Kadrey though, what's not to like? Devils, demons, the undead, vampires, and an LA simulacrum of Hell (in the Sandman Slim series). Reminds me he's a got a new one out.

« Reply #4035 on: 22 September, 2015, 10:58:43 am »
Marie Kondo, The life changing magic of tidying up.

The wife bought it and gave it to me to read based on the recommendation of a friend. It's a self help type book for decluttering.

Basically if you touch one of your possessions and it doesn't bring you joy, bin it.

Kondo's method also forbids the use of worn out clothes to be worn around the house, she calls it "loungewear" so the other half has vetoed any implementation of any of her methods of decluttering.

Not a book to be put aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force.

(with apologies  to Dorothy)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4036 on: 22 September, 2015, 02:08:44 pm »

Go Set a Watchman was pretty dull, more of a sketch than a novel. I wasn't sure of its purpose other than to bank some cash. Mind you, I always thought To Kill a Mockingbird was a bit overrated.

I do like Richard Kadrey though, what's not to like? Devils, demons, the undead, vampires, and an LA simulacrum of Hell (in the Sandman Slim series). Reminds me he's a got a new one out.

Yeah, well, GSAW was her first novel that she rewrote into TKAM when the publishers turned it down.  A bit like those lacklustre early novels written by later-famous names under pen-names, e.g. "The Da Vinci Cod written by Damn Brown (now known to be Joseph Göbels)"  More a curio than a book.

Richard Kadrey is fun, and he has the chutzpah to put one of his books on gutenberg.org.  Gotta like that.

sprogs

• from your big sister, Steve.
« Reply #4037 on: 23 September, 2015, 08:12:50 pm »
Norwegian Wood by Haruki Muakami
I was loaned this book by Lucie at esquires in Ambleside, I don't think I've ever been so drawn in or so emotionally affected by any other book. As I read it I find myself going back to earlier parts to check I've remembered it correctly and reading the book again from there.
Thank you lucie, I hope you'll write something in it for me.

« Reply #4038 on: 24 September, 2015, 10:35:36 am »
That's on my list. I loved IQ84 and the Wind up Bird Chronicle.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4039 on: 24 September, 2015, 11:23:02 am »

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4040 on: 26 September, 2015, 06:46:17 pm »
Not a book, as such, but I'm currently perusing a very complimentary review of The Esteemed Dr Larrington's book in last week's New Statesman.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4041 on: 26 September, 2015, 07:21:12 pm »
All the Light we Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #4042 on: 26 September, 2015, 08:41:06 pm »
Time and Time Again by Ben Elton

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4043 on: 27 September, 2015, 09:28:52 am »

I liked that one!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4044 on: 27 September, 2015, 10:18:45 am »
Having finished The Girl With All The Gifts (meh,  zombies) I am now reading Kurt Vonnegut's Galapagos.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #4045 on: 27 September, 2015, 03:36:09 pm »
David Mitchell, The Bone Clocks.  Halfway through, and lovin' it (as I have all his stuff).

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #4046 on: 27 September, 2015, 05:50:12 pm »

I liked that one!
I'm loving it. I really loved About Grace too.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #4047 on: 27 September, 2015, 06:55:50 pm »
The Martian. Great read and all you need to know about survival on mars if you get left behind there.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #4048 on: 27 September, 2015, 09:13:06 pm »
The Martian. Great read and all you need to know about survival on mars if you get left behind there.
That's quite an audax.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4049 on: 30 September, 2015, 12:07:43 pm »
Not a book, as such, but I'm currently perusing a very complimentary review of The Esteemed Dr Larrington's book in last week's New Statesman.

Still waiting for my freebie copy which is a mouldy chiz considering the long list of suggestions, and fakts about the superstitions of Trent boatmen with regard to Pigs, I submitted to the Author this time last year.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime