Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846671 times)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #4325 on: 26 January, 2016, 09:10:28 am »
While I'm working away for a couple of days I've taken a break from the stack of to-be-read paperbacks, dusted off my Kindle and loaded it up with The Man In The High Castle. The trailers for the new TV series look pretty good, but as I don't have Amazon Prime I'll have to 'make do'  ;) with the original.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4326 on: 26 January, 2016, 06:14:19 pm »
Cold Granite by Stuart MacBride. It hasn't stopped raining yet.
Finished it. It stopped raining briefly before it started to snow.

Now moved onto book 2 - Dying Light. Set in the summer, it is only raining occasionally.

I am amused by some of the books set in the summer occasionally using words like sticky and sweltering. Did Mr Macbride get a bung from the tourist office?

Return to usual levels of Grim in the latest one; starts with rain and turns into SNO.  And a rather angry Rueben.

Nothing new there then....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4327 on: 26 January, 2016, 06:58:46 pm »
"Biggles of 266" and when I've finished that I shall read, "Biggles flies to work".
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #4328 on: 26 January, 2016, 07:14:13 pm »
...have now started "Bazaar Of Bad Dreams" by some unknown author with the unlikely name of Stephen King.
Does it get any better than Mile 81?  I enjoyed the characterisation but the storyline was really a bit pants.  In the preamble, Sai King says it's one of his favorites (sic), which, Constant Reader as I am, doesn't fill me with eagerness for the other 19 stories.  :-\

« Reply #4329 on: 27 January, 2016, 07:09:23 am »
"Biggles of 266" and when I've finished that I shall read, "Biggles flies to work".

Only about another 100 Biggles volumes to go then.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4330 on: 27 January, 2016, 10:17:48 am »
Cold Granite by Stuart MacBride. It hasn't stopped raining yet.
Finished it. It stopped raining briefly before it started to snow.

Now moved onto book 2 - Dying Light. Set in the summer, it is only raining occasionally.

I am amused by some of the books set in the summer occasionally using words like sticky and sweltering. Did Mr Macbride get a bung from the tourist office?

Return to usual levels of Grim in the latest one; starts with rain and turns into SNO.  And a rather angry Rueben.

Nothing new there then....

No there isn't. It's intermittently amusing, but seems to be getting ever more mired in caricature.  So, ok, but nothing more IMO.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4331 on: 27 January, 2016, 10:39:59 am »
Thing is with the sniper, he signed up to the army. He already knew how to shoot things and chose to surround himself with a 'family' who were being fired at. You don't chose your family, isn't that the adage? But these are people and a situation he chose, and then self justified his actions by describing his motivation as saving his family. How handy.
That last paragraph seems to me to be a pretty good summary.
I have known 3 long-term serving soldiers who ended up in war situations. Two out of the three managed to very carefully serve through conflicts without firing a shot at another person (the third went to vietnam and didn't like talking about it).
Anyone who chooses to be a sniper is very deliberately setting out to shoot people.

Something to consider; wounding enemy soldiers is more effective than killing them (the wounded soldier is a burden on resources). So a sniper who has the 'most kills in history' is not necessarily an uber-effective soldier. Maybe they just like killing.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4332 on: 27 January, 2016, 10:50:32 am »
Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie.  First of an SF trilogy recommended by nephew.  Good. Very.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4333 on: 27 January, 2016, 11:26:42 am »
...have now started "Bazaar Of Bad Dreams" by some unknown author with the unlikely name of Stephen King.
Does it get any better than Mile 81?  I enjoyed the characterisation but the storyline was really a bit pants.  In the preamble, Sai King says it's one of his favorites (sic), which, Constant Reader as I am, doesn't fill me with eagerness for the other 19 stories.  :-\

I liked them but then I have a low hokum threshold.  But the poems should be buried in an unmarked grave, at midnight, with a stake through the MS.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4334 on: 27 January, 2016, 07:57:31 pm »
Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie.  First of an SF trilogy recommended by nephew.  Good. Very.

Yes, good stuff, sequels are OK as well.  (thought the last one a little anticlimatic...)

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

« Reply #4335 on: 27 January, 2016, 08:37:32 pm »

Pah I thought it was an awful trudge. Wasn't the one with about 53 chapters dedicated to buying a gun? And the annoyingly brain-muddling s/he?

« Reply #4336 on: 28 January, 2016, 09:03:37 am »

I liked them but then I have a low hokum threshold.  But the poems should be buried in an unmarked grave, at midnight, with a stake through the MS.
Batman & Robin Have An Altercation is good  :o  Things are looking up  ;D

« Reply #4337 on: 02 February, 2016, 10:38:29 am »
Well after Stuart MacBrides latest, which was ok,  I gave Bernard Minier's second Commandant Servaz outing a go, but gave up half-way through (as I did the first I recall). Like books translated from Italian (I've tried Camilleris Montalbano's without much success for instance), I find those translated from French often too "wordy". Plus it wasn't terribly gripping. So, then I tried Peter May's latest "Coffin Road".  I enjoyed Entry Island, and, although the "flashback" device got increasingly irritating, I got through the Lewis trilogy.  However Coffin Road is written in the continuous first person present (for want of the correct grammatical term) - I really can't (see what I did there?) be doing with that, plus I felt the writing florid, so that was junked 1/3 of the way through. I doubt I'll give him another go.

Next up is Barbara Nadel's latest Cetin Ikmen story, which are generally reliable reads and have touched on the recent political upheavals in Turkey as well. A kind of Turkish Brunetti I suppose - I've just reserved the latest offering from Donna Leon.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4338 on: 03 February, 2016, 03:31:20 pm »
Ghostwritten - David Mitchell. Ever so slightly disappointed - it's very good but it's the first of his novels that I haven't totally fallen in love with, and I've read all of them except Slade House. Still, I'm only halfway through so maybe I'll change my mind.

Galapagos - Kurt Vonnegut. Very similar experience. I've read his first seven novels and this is the first of his later works I've tried. It's a good and faithful pastiche of 'A Kurt Vonnegut Novel' but it's missing whatever the magic ingredient is that makes it a Kurt Vonnegut novel.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #4339 on: 03 February, 2016, 04:18:40 pm »
I liked Ghostwritten, but I felt it tried a bit too hard and there's some overstretch, as a result some of the sections seem a little flatter, and it leans a little too heavily on contrivance. I did enjoy it though (it picks up the pace in the latter sections) and you can see how it sets up the style for future novels. My only gripe with his books is that some of his characters are too erudite, but that's a minor gripe, he has one hell of an imagination and way with words.

I felt a bit similar about Galapagos too. Probably not a book I'd read again.

citoyen

« Reply #4340 on: 03 February, 2016, 04:43:45 pm »
you can see how it sets up the style for future novels

It did occur to me that I've probably spoilt myself by reading his later books first - especially Cloud Atlas, which is an awful lot more cleverer.

Having said that, I also read number9dream recently and totally adored it.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4341 on: 08 February, 2016, 06:46:14 pm »
The Curious Map Book ~ Ashley Baynton-Williams.  100 interesting and/or entertaining maps dissected.  Too big and heavy to read in the bath though.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4342 on: 09 February, 2016, 01:24:23 pm »
I'm approaching the end of Monsterous Regiment (Pratchett). I find, these days, that I can get too much TP (time was when I could read Discworld novels back to back). A couple of (or more) years between works better for me now, and I've quite enjoyed this one. Nice to see Vimes back in action, and Angua. 300 pages in and Death has only had a cameo so far, and that more out of respect than plot necessity.

It feels like a continuation of the theme raised in one of the Watch stories (discrimination in the workplace), but it's none the worse for that, and handled in the usual, insightfully off-handed way he has/had.

3.5 Galleons (out of a possible 5).

I recently finished How to Build a Girl. I enjoyed Raised by Wolves when it was on, so risked a few £s on this, and was well repaid. I was genuinely shocked by some of the content, but in a good way. It was a funny, serious, rude story about being a (female) teenager. The femaleness did not make the story inaccessible to me. I don't know whether that is because - despite sex differences - the experiences are largely the same, or because it was just written in a way that made it feel so. And maybe it doesn't matter.

It may have helped that many of the cultural references resonated with me, although I'm a Brummie and a few years older than Moran, and I'm not sure how well the story would work for someone without those connections.

4 Bill Murrays (out of 5)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #4343 on: 09 February, 2016, 01:32:10 pm »
Joyland by stephen king

Really enjoyable, but not a stephen king horror/suspense novel.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4344 on: 09 February, 2016, 01:55:28 pm »
Well the Barbara Nadel was ok, it's always interesting to get the overview of the present political scene in Turkey. That was followed by the (nearly finsished) "Bruno, Chief of Police" story "The Dying Season". Nothing new, but nonetheless enjoyable.  That'll be followed by a new-to-me author Michael Koryta and his "Last Words". A mid-west set PI story.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4345 on: 10 February, 2016, 01:02:21 pm »

Yes, good stuff, sequels are OK as well.  (thought the last one a little anticlimatic...)

First one great, the others less surprising but meaty.  Agree re the last one but enjoyed the trip all the same.  I got the impression that there'll be a next one along the lines of the Empire striking back.

Currently reading the sequel to The Three-Body Problem, The Dark Forest.  Only a few pages in and struggling to remember who was who.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4346 on: 11 February, 2016, 01:10:28 pm »
Now on to the third Ben Aaronovitch "Whispers Underground"

citoyen

What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #4347 on: 11 February, 2016, 11:13:55 pm »
Number whatever in the series of books I really should have read years ago but have only just got round to, only to discover that they really are that good: Neuromancer by William Gibson

#chandleresque

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4348 on: 12 February, 2016, 12:51:05 am »
I, on the other hand, have just started reading Raymond Chandler viz. "The Big Sheep Sleep".

#gibsonesque.  Not.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4349 on: 12 February, 2016, 07:37:25 am »
The Naked and the Dead.

It's powerful stuff.

Finished it.

Immediately started reading it again.

At first, it was difficult to keep track of the characters - they're all American soldiers.  By the end I was right there with each of them.  Norman Mailer is a fine storyteller, writing about what he knows.  For me to make it to the end of a war novel he must be pretty good!  It reminded me of the film The Thin Red Line - also a story by someone who'd lived war. 

In the preface, Mailer is dismissive of his own writing at this point in his career.  Next has to be one of his Pulitzer winners, to see what the difference is.
Milk please, no sugar.