Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846668 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #4500 on: 12 June, 2016, 09:28:23 pm »
Flesh House - Stuart McBride
Logan McRae book 4

Must be one of the goriest books I've read. Mostly raining.
I'm on my third Logan McRae, (Blind Eye, previously read Flesh House and 22 Dead Little Bodies).
All borrowed from my local library.

Now, here's the thing: I've noticed that somebody has drawn a ring round the number of page 23 in each of them.  ???
Is this some secret to which I am not privy? Can't wait to check out the rest of them.

Drawing circles around page numbers seems to be a library system habit.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4501 on: 12 June, 2016, 10:06:40 pm »
The Essex Serpent - Sarah Perry

I only bought this book because of the cover, and it's one of the best things I've read.  Seriously. 

She's a writer who can write people, and life, and she puts the people in a place - and she can write place, too.  This book deserves to be kept on the 'classics' shelf, alongside Tolstoy and Penelope Lively and Hardy.  After reading some real dross lately it was like a glass of Perrier and some very good cheese with grapes, after a diet of nasty pizza and microwave carbonara. 

The Essex Serpent is a monster lurking under the waters of the Blackwater estuary.  As the monster breaks the water's surface change comes to the Blackwater people and they find themselves fearful and uneasy.  The presence of a newly-widowed bluestocking stirs things up even more.

Just read it.  I doubt you'll regret it.
Milk please, no sugar.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4502 on: 13 June, 2016, 12:23:47 am »
Logan McRae book 4

I'm on my third Logan McRae, (Blind Eye, previously read Flesh House and 22 Dead Little Bodies).

Now, here's the thing: I've noticed that somebody has drawn a ring round the number of page 23 in each of them.  ???
Is this some secret to which I am not privy? Can't wait to check out the rest of them.
Whenever I read the dialogue of DI Insch, in my head I can only hear it said by Gene Hunt.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #4503 on: 13 June, 2016, 02:28:53 pm »
Well I tried, I really did, but "six-four" by Hideo Yokoyama defeated me. I just couldn't get inside it.  Now onto "I'm Travelling Alone" by Samuel Bjork.  A new-to-me Norwegian writer, and so far, so good, but I'm easily pleased.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4504 on: 14 June, 2016, 10:21:11 am »
Now on Jonas Jonasson's Hitman Anders And The Meaning Of It All.  Promising start.  Upbeat for a Swedish author too ;D

This Unit hereby endorses this product and/or service.  That it took me so long to finish is entirely not the fault of Mr Jonasson.  Contains many a laugh-out-loud moment and is his best yet.

Die Of Shame ~ Mark Billingham

A not-Thorne offering from Mr Billingham, though I dare say the said DI will put in a cameo appearance.  His mate Phil Hendricks, the pathologist of multiple piercings, tattoos and boyfriends, has already shown up.

Not one of his better offerings, if you ask me.  Relentlessly grim; all the main characters except the coppers are recovering addicts bearing some remarkable resemblances to some of my fellow Zeks.  The coppers are pretty two-dimensional until, as predicted, Thorne rocks up on page 391.  Alas there are only twenty pages left by then.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4505 on: 14 June, 2016, 10:45:57 am »
Someone gave me The Girl in the Spider's Web for me barfday so I'm foot-slogging through it with no great enthusiasm. Lacks the zip and sparkle of the real Girl who... series.

Bloody Swedish krimis, I'm sick of them.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4506 on: 14 June, 2016, 11:47:45 am »

A not-Thorne offering from Mr Billingham, though I dare say the said DI will put in a cameo appearance.  His mate Phil Hendricks, the pathologist of multiple piercings, tattoos and boyfriends, has already shown up.

Not one of his better offerings, if you ask me.  Relentlessly grim; all the main characters except the coppers are recovering addicts bearing some remarkable resemblances to some of my fellow Zeks.  The coppers are pretty two-dimensional until, as predicted, Thorne rocks up on page 391.  Alas there are only twenty pages left by then.
[/quote]

I've not enjoyed any of the non-Thorne offerings thus far. And I gave up on this one too.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4507 on: 14 June, 2016, 08:05:31 pm »
Now on Jonas Jonasson's Hitman Anders And The Meaning Of It All.  Promising start.  Upbeat for a Swedish author too ;D

This Unit hereby endorses this product and/or service.  That it took me so long to finish is entirely not the fault of Mr Jonasson.  Contains many a laugh-out-loud moment and is his best yet.

Is that a sequel?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #4508 on: 14 June, 2016, 08:26:33 pm »
Sarah Hall, The Wolf Border.  No-one writes about Cumbria, or anywhere else for that matter, like Sarah Hall does.  Her phrasing and descriptions are completely engrossing, just a paragraph or two and you're right there with the countryside swirling all around you.  Fiction's Robert Macfarlane, in a way.  Only different.

Big  :thumbsup: for this one from me, as for all her previous ones (although I never did quite get How to Paint a Dead Man.  Must give that another go).  Haweswater, her first, has left an indelible impression on me.

« Reply #4509 on: 14 June, 2016, 09:03:09 pm »
O, I've had that one. It was OK. (13 hours- probably most of a 200, and a few bus journeys)

I didn't know she'd done anything else.

Hmmm. Apparently Haweswater is narrated by Jilly Bond. I'm not sure I can stomach that. (Sorry Jilly).

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #4510 on: 14 June, 2016, 09:24:04 pm »
You might try The Electric Michelangelo?

« Reply #4511 on: 14 June, 2016, 09:30:00 pm »
Narrated by Joe Jameson. We'll give it a go, ta.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4512 on: 15 June, 2016, 03:46:04 pm »

Is that a sequel?

No, 'tis a Thing in Its Own Right.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4513 on: 15 June, 2016, 05:43:51 pm »
 I see from Amazon that I have read another of that authors books. The Hitman reference was another author entirely:
The Hitman's Guide to Housecleaning by Hallgrimur Helgason
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4514 on: 15 June, 2016, 07:26:04 pm »
Mr Jonasson is responsible for The Hundred-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared (good) and The Girl Who Saved The King Of Sweden (not as good).

« Reply #4515 on: 16 June, 2016, 11:09:56 am »
Mr Jonasson is responsible for The Hundred-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared (good) and The Girl Who Saved The King Of Sweden (not as good).
Good to hear he's back on form.  I thought TGWSTKOS was hopelessly silly.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #4516 on: 16 June, 2016, 05:35:05 pm »
Logan McRae book 4

Drawing circles around page numbers seems to be a library system habit.

Mystery solved: apparently lots of library customers write their initials inside the back cover of a book - allegedly so they can see that they've read it before.  :facepalm:
And one of the staff in the Finest Public Library in All of Kirriemuir reckons that ringing page number 23 is his / her unique way of noting that they've already read the book.
It concerns me more than a little that they seem to have the same taste in authors as I have.  :-\
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #4517 on: 17 June, 2016, 11:46:28 am »
Just finished The Girl On The Train (yes, I know that was SO 2015).  Just bought me some more Stephen King (Needful Things).  I think my wife will start thinking I'm addicted to his books, à la Misery or Finders Keepers

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4518 on: 18 June, 2016, 08:37:05 pm »
Just started Mr King's End of Watch, having just finished Gavin Extence's The Universe vs Alex Woods.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #4519 on: 19 June, 2016, 11:50:30 am »
Just given up on Tim Weaver's "What remains". 600 pages is just too much to sustain for what is lightweight crime fiction IMO. And it still irritates that he refers to his car's "heaters". It's heater, singular. 

Now on to Parker Bilal's new Makana story.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4520 on: 19 June, 2016, 01:27:19 pm »
Unless it's a Rolls-Royce with separate aircon systems for driver & passenger ;D

« Reply #4521 on: 19 June, 2016, 01:34:33 pm »
Unless it's a Rolls-Royce with separate aircon systems for driver & passenger ;D

It's an "18 year old BMW".

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4522 on: 19 June, 2016, 07:45:17 pm »
You can't trust anyone who drives a pikey old Beemer.

ian

« Reply #4523 on: 20 June, 2016, 09:08:10 am »
You can't trust anyone who drives a pikey old Beemer.

You've met my father then.

fuzzy

« Reply #4524 on: 20 June, 2016, 03:36:05 pm »
Just given up on Tim Weaver's "What remains". 600 pages is just too much to sustain for what is lightweight crime fiction IMO. And it still irritates that he refers to his car's "heaters". It's heater, singular. 

Now on to Parker Bilal's new Makana story.

Are you sure that isn't a Glock 17 in the glove box, a sawn off under the drivers seat and an AK47 in the boot?