Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846630 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #4575 on: 03 August, 2016, 03:12:25 pm »
Well it won't be "The Hanging Tree" by Ben Aaronovitch anytime soon. A not from our library reservations system yeserday. My bold  :-\

"Reservation for The Hanging Tree by Ben Aaronovitch has been cancelled as we have been informed that publication has been delayed until at least September 2017. A new order will be made once we have a confirmed publication date."
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4576 on: 03 August, 2016, 06:14:54 pm »
Well it won't be "The Hanging Tree" by Ben Aaronovitch anytime soon. A not from our library reservations system yeserday. My bold  :-\

"Reservation for The Hanging Tree by Ben Aaronovitch has been cancelled as we have been informed that publication has been delayed until at least September 2017. A new order will be made once we have a confirmed publication date."

WTF 8)  I hope that's a mispring ???

Edit: Publisher's webby SCIENCE still says August 25th.  2016.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4577 on: 03 August, 2016, 08:57:50 pm »

I notice a tweet from the man from 4 days ago, consisting of many repeats of the word 'done'.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

fuzzy

« Reply #4578 on: 04 August, 2016, 08:25:04 am »

I notice a tweet from the man from 4 days ago, consisting of many repeats of the word 'done'.

'I've been done up like a kipper'- 'done in', 'done for'?

« Reply #4579 on: 04 August, 2016, 10:47:35 am »

Fantastic Fiction say "21st September 2107". They tend to be quite accurate. That's for Kindle and hardback. Oddly they have Jan '17 for paperback - but maybe that should be Jan '18.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4580 on: 04 August, 2016, 04:03:34 pm »
2107?  I'll be dead by then and so will Mr Aaronovitch, because I will have killed him utterly to DETH long before ;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4581 on: 04 August, 2016, 05:49:26 pm »
The Booker long list is out, so I have started on the first on my list, "My Name is Lucy Barton"
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4582 on: 05 August, 2016, 05:21:12 pm »

Damn and blast. 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4583 on: 09 August, 2016, 01:05:29 am »
A plane crashes in the Jura, leaving a sole survivor, a three month old girl.  Is she Lyse-Rose de Carville? Is she Emilie Vitral?  Do we actually give a shit?  If you are ever tempted to read After The Crash by Michel Bussi, do yourself a favour and read the Yellow Pages instead.  It may be just a piss-poor translation from the original French. Or not.  Oh, and the "delicious sting in the tail" that the Sunday Mirror's Deirdre O'Brien claims exists was so obviously telegraphed about a hundred pages from the end that Bussi might just have well have had one of the protagonists switching on a big neon sign reading "Guess which hackneyed thriller cliche he's gonna use next?"

Poor.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4584 on: 09 August, 2016, 08:16:57 am »
Black Swan Green, my third D. Mitchell in a row.  Might need to read the Adrian Mole canon for comparison, but DM's idea of how a 13-yr-old's mind works isn't far off how I spottily remember my early teens.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4585 on: 09 August, 2016, 08:34:03 am »
Now on to the second book on the long list, Hystopia by David Means.

If you like The Chimes, from last years list, you will probably get on with this.  Set in an alternative 1970's Michigan, where Kennedy wasn't killed, rather was re-elected for a third term, the Viernam war drags on and 'Nam Vets are treated to a process called "enfolding" to try to counteract PTSD.

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4586 on: 09 August, 2016, 12:43:09 pm »
The rather wordy titled 'The World at War: The Landmark Oral History from the Previously Unpublished Archives', condensed and edited by Richard Holmes. A great military historian and professor.

Condensed, it's still around 500 pages but very readable.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4587 on: 09 August, 2016, 06:28:02 pm »
A plane crashes in the Jura, leaving a sole survivor, a three month old girl.  Is she Lyse-Rose de Carville? Is she Emilie Vitral?  Do we actually give a shit?  If you are ever tempted to read After The Crash by Michel Bussi, do yourself a favour and read the Yellow Pages instead.  It may be just a piss-poor translation from the original French. Or not.  Oh, and the "delicious sting in the tail" that the Sunday Mirror's Deirdre O'Brien claims exists was so obviously telegraphed about a hundred pages from the end that Bussi might just have well have had one of the protagonists switching on a big neon sign reading "Guess which hackneyed thriller cliche he's gonna use next?"

Poor.

So, not a fan . . . ?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4588 on: 09 August, 2016, 06:30:32 pm »

Poor.

So, not a fan . . . ?

Whatever gave you that impression ;D

« Reply #4589 on: 12 August, 2016, 02:43:55 pm »
Titus Groan, Mervyn Peake...an old classic.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4590 on: 12 August, 2016, 04:16:41 pm »
The Leapard - Tomasi di Lampedusa

though I am in Florence not Sicily
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #4591 on: 13 August, 2016, 03:56:41 pm »
The rather wordy titled 'The World at War: The Landmark Oral History from the Previously Unpublished Archives', condensed and edited by Richard Holmes. A great military historian and professor.

Condensed, it's still around 500 pages but very readable.

Still have it to hand in a ...small...room to dip into now and again. I have the DVD set of the TV series, but I keep that elsewhere.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4592 on: 18 August, 2016, 09:51:18 pm »
Just finished The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber, about a man who goes to another planet as a Christian missionary. Really liked it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #4593 on: 18 August, 2016, 09:58:15 pm »
About 3/4 of the way through Kim Stanley Robinson's "Aurora" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_(novel)  which is a depressing tale of a failed attempt at interstellar colonization & should be mandatory reading for people who think we can fuck this planet up & then move elsewhere.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4594 on: 19 August, 2016, 08:41:01 am »
In any case, (time left to total fuck-up) << (time to develop interstellar mass transit) without a now-tell-me-professor-level event.

Black Swan Green continues droll but conventional by Mitchell standards, and my re-read of Carrion Comfort feels like eating slice after slice of boiled ham, i.e. pleasurable enough but somewhat flat.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4595 on: 19 August, 2016, 09:57:27 am »
Damn and blast Waterstones for not opening until 09:30.  Do I want to hang around a bleak shopping centre for twenty minutes before coming in to look for light fiction for my upcoming holibobs?  No.  No, I do not.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4596 on: 19 August, 2016, 11:14:50 am »
Just finished Tess Of The D'Urbervilles (again).  It doesn't get any better, does it?   :'(
Hmm, having just started this for the first time, and searched here for views, I wonder if -  having turned 50 last year (and therefore presumably having less time left than I've already had) - I should drop it now and read something else

I'm only reading it now because

1. it was one of the very small selection at the camp site;
2. it was 50p, and;
2. several people have recommended it to me over the years.

That said, it's okay so far (page 50 or so), and far better than I remember Hardy: I was required to read Far From The Madding Crowd at secondary school. What idiot thought that long descriptive passages of the countryside and weather would turn teenage boys on to literature? It's a wonder I ever picked up another book.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

fuzzy

« Reply #4597 on: 19 August, 2016, 01:15:08 pm »
The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell.

The tale of a young boy of noblish birth, captured by Vikings.

Not a bad read so far for an Amazon freebie.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #4598 on: 19 August, 2016, 01:36:06 pm »
Has that been televised?  I read the overview and thought I'd watched it on tv.

fuzzy

« Reply #4599 on: 19 August, 2016, 03:54:17 pm »
I understand that I has. Not seen it though.