Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846654 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #4650 on: 04 October, 2016, 09:40:53 am »
Here's a treble for you:

Yu-fang
Bao Qin
Yung Chang

Three names, one title
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4651 on: 04 October, 2016, 09:58:43 am »
That'll be wild swans. The author used to teach at SOAS, where apparently all the chinese language staff after reading her book thought her family had it easy. Chinese can get very competitive about suffering.

« Reply #4652 on: 04 October, 2016, 10:49:33 am »
 :D

Loved Wild Swans.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4653 on: 04 October, 2016, 11:04:58 am »
Akasha**

** thank-you.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4654 on: 07 October, 2016, 11:56:27 am »
Needing something to offset the relentless grimness of sixteen straight Discworld books today I are mostly reading Ann Cleeves' latest, Cold Earth, book seven of the increasingly inaccurately-named "Shetland Quartet".  A bit subdued so far - the only killin' to date has taken place off-camera - but I'm still liking it.  It's just confusing coz in the distascopic adaption Jimmy's daughter Cassie is a Penniless Student Oaf while here she's about seven and dressing up as a princess and making terrible jam tarts.  Of course there's no reason why Penniless Student Oaves shouldn't do that too, but has there ever been a TV adaption of a series of crime novels where the scriptwriters have sat down and said "no, we're sticking to the books?"
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4655 on: 07 October, 2016, 12:29:38 pm »
The nearest adaptation I have seen was Silas Marner (a few years back on tv) I so enjoyed it I read the book (a thing you should never do either way) I enjoyed the book as well and was surprised at the closeness.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #4656 on: 07 October, 2016, 12:34:34 pm »
P.C. Fox might be another.

Ooh, don't know that one.

Rather than drag this out, seeing as it's strictly OT, here are the answers in full:
(click to show/hide)
Ruth Cole
Rachel Watson

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4657 on: 07 October, 2016, 12:44:35 pm »
The TV version of Iain Banks' The Crow Road was also close enough not to have me shouting "Butbutbut that's WRONG" at the haunted fishtank but usually with a series based on a, er, series of books the first one is a reasonably faithful adaptation, the second one has a Several of (grating) tangents and the third is based on characters created by.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4658 on: 07 October, 2016, 12:49:24 pm »
Well do not watch "The Poison Tree" I found the book very good but my wife was actually ranting at the tv adaptation it was that far out.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4659 on: 07 October, 2016, 01:27:32 pm »
The nearest adaptation I have seen was Silas Marner (a few years back on tv) I so enjoyed it I read the book (a thing you should never do either way) I enjoyed the book as well and was surprised at the closeness.

I loved the book, but I don't recall any TV adaptation, so I just looked it up on imdb...

Ah, ok! When you said 'a few years back', I didn't realise you meant as long ago as 1985!  ;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4660 on: 07 October, 2016, 01:48:58 pm »
Sorry, time flys  :facepalm:

citoyen

What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #4661 on: 08 October, 2016, 01:36:15 pm »
Ruth Cole

I must confess I've never even heard of the book but it sounds intriguing. Not sure I've ever read any John Irving at all, come to think of it.

Rachel Watson

Another good one, and extra points for topicality. I've not read the book but I'm going to see the film this evening.

« Reply #4662 on: 08 October, 2016, 02:02:36 pm »
The Communist Manifesto, my aim is to try to understand why it all went so wrong, I do feel there is a big clue on the first page "Karl Marx born Prussia"  and
  " Freidrich Engels born Prussia".
                     William Shirer in his books explains the Prussian mentality of that period as being bred to command unswervingly or if a subordinate to obey unswervingly which of course leads to inevitable conflict. (I might well be wrong of course).

As Wolfie used to say "Come the revolution brother"

;)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4663 on: 09 October, 2016, 08:07:39 am »
P.C. Fox might be another.

Ooh, don't know that one.

Rather than drag this out, seeing as it's strictly OT, here are the answers in full:
(click to show/hide)

Smilla Jaspersen - MIss Smilla's Feeling for Snow

perhaps a little easy, but a great boook nonetheless
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #4664 on: 09 October, 2016, 02:38:51 pm »
Shut Up Legs, by Jens Voigt and Triumphs and Tribulations by Chris Boardman, back to back.

Jens' is stream of consciousness, dictated to a ghost writer, and unsurprisingly good fun, although in truth he doesn't reveal a great deal that isn't already known about most things. The Boardman book is generally better written and gives equal weight to the three main stages of his career, including some interesting insights into the early days of British Cycling and Team Sky. He's also refreshingly candid about his time racing in Europe and how hard he found it.  Both enjoyable reads and you can pick them up for well below RRP at the moment.

Next up is Nick Clegg's new book - once Mrs Redlight has finished it.

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #4665 on: 24 October, 2016, 12:13:47 pm »
Started reading Lolita in bed last night. Blimey. One of those books whose reputation goes before it, which is part of the reason I've never got round to reading it sooner, but initial impressions are that it probably is as good as everyone says it is.

Absolutely.  Just started reading this at the weekend - it's interesting reading so far.

citoyen

« Reply #4666 on: 24 October, 2016, 12:42:54 pm »
Started reading Lolita in bed last night. Blimey. One of those books whose reputation goes before it, which is part of the reason I've never got round to reading it sooner, but initial impressions are that it probably is as good as everyone says it is.

Absolutely.  Just started reading this at the weekend - it's interesting reading so far.

I still haven't finished it - up to about 80% on the Kindle. This is partly because I haven't done much reading at all in the last few months - well, not reading for pleasure. I've done plenty of reading for work, which is why I don't have the energy/enthusiasm for other reading.

It's also partly because I find it so uncomfortable to read. At times, it's even more uncomfortable than American Psycho.

« Reply #4667 on: 24 October, 2016, 01:23:18 pm »
I was toying with using the word 'uncomfortable' in my earlier post, but was wondering what kind of reflection of my personality is given off by my feeling uncomfortable.  :-\  Maybe I'm feeling uncomfortable that I find Humbert quite charming?

citoyen

« Reply #4668 on: 24 October, 2016, 02:38:17 pm »
Maybe I'm feeling uncomfortable that I find Humbert quite charming?

That is Nabokov's genius. As I understand it, a lot of the historical controversy around the book has arisen from the belief that Nabokov intended him to be a sympathetic character. He certainly comes across as very plausible... up to a point.

« Reply #4669 on: 24 October, 2016, 04:13:18 pm »
I really didn't expect it to be as funny as it is.

ian

« Reply #4670 on: 24 October, 2016, 04:40:59 pm »
I always assumed Nabokov did it on purpose. You're suppose to be caught between the man and his actions. The genius is Nabokov's sleight of writing that lets the dilemma effectively sneak up on you. Quite a few of his books follow a similar theme, though Lolita is most brilliant observed and given the rise of Pedobear-fear it's has a perfect pitch for current generations. Sadly, so many people won't read it just because of the subject matter. I don't think it's going to turn anyone into a paedophile any more than reading a book about a murderer will have you getting stab-happy with the neighbours.

It's also brilliantly written sharp and witty prose, no mean feat considering he did it in English, probably his third language after Russian and French.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4671 on: 24 October, 2016, 04:54:24 pm »
A few days ago I finished Death's End, the third book in Cixin Liu's Three-Body Problem trilogy.  As the missus remarked after reading a third of it, this is a weird story. Worthy of the first two, though.

He has a rather sad but accurate view of humanity.  See under Brexit, inter alia.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4672 on: 25 October, 2016, 12:47:14 pm »
I've just finished KSR's Science in the Capital trilogy.  Astounding how datedly optimistic it seems after so little time.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4673 on: 25 October, 2016, 03:56:33 pm »
He'll be really chuffed when the West Antarctic Ice Sheet collapses.  Told ya so!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4674 on: 26 October, 2016, 12:40:48 pm »
Armadale by Wilkie Collins, and The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by whoever wrote it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.