Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846668 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #4725 on: 14 November, 2016, 12:52:06 pm »
Coffin Road by Peter May. I'm a bit addicted to his books at the moment.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4726 on: 14 November, 2016, 02:26:36 pm »
Before Watchmen
The prequel to the 'Watchmen' graphic novel. It's quite grim and depressing.
I had to follow it by watching the watchmen film. It's v odd when the most likeable person in a film is a psychotic sociopath.

From what I've read of it, DC are building themselves a Watchmen industry, and Alan Moore is muchly offgepissed.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4727 on: 14 November, 2016, 02:41:16 pm »
The Hanging Tree:D :D :D

Tis good.  I was worried that it would be crap after the delays...
It was good. I want the next one now please!

It was ok, I'd file it under "pleasant, more of the same".  Perhaps as I've read all of them in the last 18 months it didn't seem quite as fresh. I shall certainly read the next.

Another I am waiting eagerly for is the second in the "Vinyl detective" series by Andrew Cartmel.  They've all been written already (I can't find out how many) and are being released one a year. The first was "Written in dead wax", and the second, due next year, is "The run-out groove"
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4728 on: 14 November, 2016, 02:43:57 pm »
Before Watchmen
The prequel to the 'Watchmen' graphic novel. It's quite grim and depressing.
I had to follow it by watching the watchmen film. It's v odd when the most likeable person in a film is a psychotic sociopath.

From what I've read of it, DC are building themselves a Watchmen industry, and Alan Moore is muchly offgepissed.
I can imagine him being pissed, but, they've done one (reasonably good) film and that's it. What is planned? The film kept the tone of the novel extremely well, if it did play around a little with the plot.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4729 on: 14 November, 2016, 03:09:28 pm »

It was ok, I'd file it under "pleasant, more of the same".  Perhaps as I've read all of them in the last 18 months it didn't seem quite as fresh. I shall certainly read the next.

Another I am waiting eagerly for is the second in the "Vinyl detective" series by Andrew Cartmel.  They've all been written already (I can't find out how many) and are being released one a year. The first was "Written in dead wax", and the second, due next year, is "The run-out groove"

Not read those,  might take a look.   For more police/ magic crossover try Paul Cornell's "Shadow Police" series.    But only if you have a tolerance for grim & nasty....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4730 on: 14 November, 2016, 03:16:49 pm »

Not read those,  might take a look.   For more police/ magic crossover try Paul Cornell's "Shadow Police" series.    But only if you have a tolerance for grim & nasty....

Thank you, both, shall look into them!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4731 on: 14 November, 2016, 03:20:04 pm »
I did try London Falling (Cornell) but for some reason didn't get on with it.  The Vinyl Detective isn't police based, the protagonist is a "reluctant private eye" I guess you could say, and a vinyl buff.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4732 on: 14 November, 2016, 08:41:14 pm »
I just re-read A Stitch In Time by Penelope Lively.  It's a children's book without a bum note.  Outstanding.  How can a grown woman evoke so brilliantly, a child's inner voice?

So after that I'm re-reading Moon Tiger (by Penelope Lively).  I first read it thirty years ago, and it's even better now when I've lived somewhat.  It's about time, and memory, and loss, and it's just beautiful.  One hell of a writer.
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4733 on: 14 November, 2016, 08:49:50 pm »
I just re-read A Stitch In Time by Penelope Lively.

Cor, I think I read that one before I worked out how to pronounce 'Penelope'.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4734 on: 14 November, 2016, 11:23:51 pm »
Reading "It Can't Happen Here" by SInclair Lewis. A 1930's novel on the fascist takeover of the US, which reads remarkably like a parody of the current day.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #4735 on: 17 November, 2016, 10:37:45 pm »
Walking past my local Forbidden Planet I notice that there are a couple of "graphic novels" available featuring Peter Grant.   The signage is amusingly "Beverley Brooks Cop"  :D

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4736 on: 18 November, 2016, 10:38:13 am »
Reading "It Can't Happen Here" by SInclair Lewis. A 1930's novel on the fascist takeover of the US, which reads remarkably like a parody of the current day.

I read that on a Lewis kick years ago. I don't think I could stand it now, real life is imitating it a bit too closely.

« Reply #4737 on: 18 November, 2016, 11:50:37 am »
I've just fiunished the latest Michael Connelly Harry Bosch "The wrong side of goodbye". It was ok. Just started the latest Rebus, so far so good.  Next up will be Grisham's latest, followed by the new Jack Reacher.

« Reply #4738 on: 20 November, 2016, 06:11:42 pm »
Have been working my way through various classic cycling books of late, and have just finished Geoffrey Nicholson's _The Great Bike Race_. It's his account of the 1976 TdF, and is every bit as good as everyone says. I'm not a huge watcher of cycling on TV, but I enjoy reading good accounts of it, and Nicholson describes both the grand sweep of the Tour and the smaller dramas of the individual stages very evocatively, as well as explaining the history and (then-)current non-cycling aspects (such as the influence of commerce and advertising). Highly recommended.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4739 on: 20 November, 2016, 06:20:51 pm »
The Last Days of Patton.  According to the book, he went through a fairly loopy phase just after the war ended, with some thinking he was building his own private army (mainly comprising Waffen-SS POWs) to take on the USSR, but he seems to have got it back together just before he broke his neck in a car crash.  Sadly this deprived the world of what would have been the most interesting memoirs of any soldier, but "War As I Knew It", some of his diary entries and other scribblings, is well worth a read.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

fuzzy

« Reply #4740 on: 26 November, 2016, 12:02:36 am »
A signed copy of 101 Damnations by that Ned off of ITV 4's Tour coverage.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4741 on: 26 November, 2016, 01:46:12 pm »
The Liar's Gospel by Naomi Alderman, and Tracey Thorn's autobiography.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #4742 on: 26 November, 2016, 11:14:02 pm »
Picked up my half-read copy of John Lanchester's _Capital_ and am powering through again. Very enjoyable.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4743 on: 27 November, 2016, 10:54:51 am »
Peter Carey: The True History of the Kelly Gang.  Read it years ago but the missus bought me a new copy for some reason so I'm reading it again.

On the tablet, Ben Aaronson's Rivers of London series and thank you Mr. L for the heads-up.  For the price of a coffee & croissant it's a decent bargain.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4744 on: 27 November, 2016, 10:59:45 am »
I did try London Falling (Cornell) but for some reason didn't get on with it.  The Vinyl Detective isn't police based, the protagonist is a "reluctant private eye" I guess you could say, and a vinyl buff.

I read Dead Wax, and enjoyed it.

Currently on London Falling. It is really grim, isn't it?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4745 on: 27 November, 2016, 03:44:57 pm »
Just finished John Grisham's The Whistler. Lord he's just phoning the novels in now. Not a patch on The Pelican Brief or The Client. In fact not worth bothering with. I missed out a lot of the middle period Grishams, but I've read the last three, and that's enough I think.

Now on to the latest Jack Reacher outing, Night School.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4746 on: 27 November, 2016, 05:04:43 pm »
Taking another break from Discworld for Ian Rankin's The Travelling Companion, a non-Rebus short offering which was just a bit too long to polish off before lunch and the Grand Prix.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4747 on: 27 November, 2016, 05:17:46 pm »
Peter May, "The Blackhouse". Life, startlements, atmosphere, survival.

« Reply #4748 on: 27 November, 2016, 06:37:59 pm »
And a very elegant batsman, too.

« Reply #4749 on: 27 November, 2016, 07:07:59 pm »

Ah, the memorable P B H May!