Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846623 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #4925 on: 04 May, 2017, 10:54:37 am »
Perfect People by Peter James

Thinking of reading it based on quite good Amazon reviews? Just don't.  I don't know what book the reviewers on Amazon read, but sweet baby cheeses, that was shite. I persevered to the end, in the hope that there was an almighty plot twist that would forgive the frankly shocking writing style, stilted dialogue and stupid, irritating characters.  I was rewarded with a plot twist so obvious that a 5 year old could have guessed it - I'd seen it coming about 200 pages before it arrived.  I had, in a way, hoped that there might be a massacre at the end, given how completely un-relatable the main characters were. It was not rewarding.

I was particularly baffled by the number of times something bad happened where the solution to feel better about it was for the main characters to have sex.  An example of this includes: you find out that something has gone horribly wrong with your pregnancy. Perhaps I live on a different planet, but WTF - leave the gynae doctor, go home, sex it out? Really?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4926 on: 04 May, 2017, 11:40:31 am »
The whole "Enzo Files" series is pretty dire and not a little formulaic.  I think I commented on them somewhere up there ^^^^.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4927 on: 04 May, 2017, 12:49:56 pm »
The Power by Naomi Alderman.

All over the world, teenage girls are discovering they have a strip of muscle across their collarbones which generates electricity, which they can use to shock people with. Eventually they realise that all girls are born with this and they teach each other how to use it. Behold, a world where men are still (generally) bigger and stronger, but women have a way to fight back. Repressive regimes like Saudi Arabia are overthrown, governments set up male/female segregated schools to protect the boys, men complain at what they see as a reversal of the natural order of things...
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4928 on: 04 May, 2017, 01:33:07 pm »
We are soldiers still - Hal Moore & Joe Galloway.  Their return with others to the field of a battle in Vietnam that convinced both sides that they could win the war.  We were soldiers describes the battle.  Both fascinating.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4929 on: 04 May, 2017, 02:37:22 pm »
I, Partridge. So many current comics/comedians these days cite it as the funniest book they have read, when I saw it in the library, I decided to give it a go.

It is very, very funny. It reminds me a little of Sue Townsend's style in the Adrian Mole books - which is entirely fitting - but it is all Partridge.

Recommended (if you find AP funny).
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #4930 on: 04 May, 2017, 07:51:04 pm »
The whole "Enzo Files" series is pretty dire and not a little formulaic.  I think I commented on them somewhere up there ^^^^.

That's Peter May  :)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4931 on: 05 May, 2017, 09:05:04 am »
So it is.  I hereby confess to teh Stupidz.

Currently revisiting the Logan McCrae series.  I'd forgotten just how nastily DETHY they are :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4932 on: 17 May, 2017, 07:52:41 am »
Just finished Europe at Midnight, by Dave Hutchinson. Second of a trilogy beginning with Europe in Autumn and ending with Winter, only I hope he adds more.  Really excellent near-future SF/espionage, very satisfying to read - they aren't long but by the end of Midnight I felt as if I had just read a 500-page Le Carré.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4933 on: 17 May, 2017, 08:43:57 am »
Stuart MacBride's 8th Logan McRae book (think it is Shatter The Bones).

It's sunny! Mostly!

This is after reading the latest Oldcastle one and then #7 of this series, as I realised I had missed a couple (I somehow managed to read 1,2,3,4,5,6,9)

As Mr L says, very deathy!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4934 on: 17 May, 2017, 01:24:47 pm »
Rust never sleeps

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #4935 on: 17 May, 2017, 07:07:21 pm »
Finished Homicide a year on the illing streets.  What became Homicide life on the streets and then the writer wrote the Wire.

Anyone want it?

Going to start on the martian...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4936 on: 18 May, 2017, 10:35:42 am »
No Picnic on Mount Kenya

Good read.

I read an article derived from that in Eagle, back in the 50s.  Escape to Climb it was called. It must have been inspired by the English translation of this book coming out.  Apparently there's a film, too.

« Reply #4937 on: 18 May, 2017, 10:38:38 am »
No Picnic on Mount Kenya

Good read.

I read an article derived from that in Eagle, back in the 50s.  Escape to Climb it was called. It must have been inspired by the English translation of this book coming out.  Apparently there's a film, too.
So there was !  The Ascent
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #4938 on: 18 May, 2017, 10:57:24 am »
All of Iain Bank's Culture novels again, in order. Just finished "Matter"
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4939 on: 18 May, 2017, 11:15:01 am »
No Picnic on Mount Kenya

Good read.

So there was !  The Ascent

"Highly fictionalized" - I suppose it's inevitable.  In that line I liked North Face.

« Reply #4940 on: 18 May, 2017, 11:28:09 am »
Inconceivable by Ben Elton.
I'd kind of gone off Ben Elton books for a bit, he was getting a bit insufferable.
This had me sniggering to myself.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #4941 on: 18 May, 2017, 03:18:01 pm »
Jerusalem by Simon Teabag Monticristo (or something like that), and gosh, what a historically-weighty book! Full of foreign names (obvs!) but peppered with tons of * and subsequent ‡ and †. Doing my head in!

^ I think that endorsement should have been on the back cover.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4942 on: 18 May, 2017, 03:32:59 pm »
All of Iain Bank's Culture novels again, in order.

+1

I'm doing a lot of reading at the moment, on account of it not involving bearing weight on my road rash.  Seems like as good a time as any to get round to the Culture series...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #4943 on: 18 May, 2017, 04:02:19 pm »
Inconceivable by Ben Elton.
I'd kind of gone off Ben Elton books for a bit, he was getting a bit insufferable.
This had me sniggering to myself.

Made in to a film with Hugh laurie.  The sex scene on hampstead is funny.

« Reply #4944 on: 19 May, 2017, 10:30:01 pm »
For fans of Charles Stross's "Laundry Files" the first chapter of "The Delirium Brief" is available at http://io9.gizmodo.com/read-the-entire-first-chapter-of-charles-stross-new-lau-1795171364

Novel released on 13/07/17

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4945 on: 19 May, 2017, 11:21:40 pm »
Ooh!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

fuzzy

« Reply #4946 on: 20 May, 2017, 11:04:10 pm »
Having just finished 'Feet Of Clay' (An good bit of writing by Ptrerry), I am now on to 'Cardinal of The Kremlin' by Mr Clancy.

« Reply #4947 on: 21 May, 2017, 04:15:11 pm »
Re reading The ragged trousered philanthropist just to remind me why I vote the way I do.   8)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #4948 on: 22 May, 2017, 09:37:24 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/jan/26/landskipping-painters-ploughmen-and-places-review-anna-pavord-constable-hardy

Only just started but seems enjoyably readable so far.  It probably helps if, like me, you have a reasonable knowledge of the landscapes in different bits of the U.K.

Finally finished this last night.  It's in three sections
* The first is mainly of interest if you're fairly clued up about literature and the history of art, otherwise it's a bit of an exercise in name dropping but still interesting if you happen to know the places they painted (Scottish Highlands, Snowdonia, The Lakes etc.)
* The second is all about how farming has shaped our landscape.  Interesting to me, but the author has particular views which I didn't necessarily agree with.
* The third appears to be a dull persona diatribe about the landscape of Dorset where the author lives and how bloody wonderful it is.

Summary, 6/10.

« Reply #4949 on: 23 May, 2017, 08:55:19 am »
Ah, Kindle, you've changed something about our relationship with books. This probably ought to be in the "feckin' div" place....

I'm in a "not much time for reading" phase atm. Last thing at night I read a little, at the moment and for quite a while I've been reading what seemed to be a very well written book, as good as stuff written by le Carre. Last night I thought I'd check to see just what it was I was reading. A most wanted man, by Le Carre  :facepalm:

And then I remembered, that choice was spurred on by the reading of Absolute Friends, a masterpiece of a book by  le Carre that, amongst other characteristics, presages the blurring of lines between public and private militia and quasi governmental bodies, touching on the consequences of mixing patriotism and profit.