Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846709 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #6175 on: 10 December, 2020, 05:23:07 pm »
When I was a kid, I thought Timbuctoo was one of those made-up names to designate a generic exotic and distant location. Didn't discover it was a real place before I reached adulthood.
Always been dreaming of either cycling or walking from Timbuktu to Kathmandu, just because why not.

Across Africa, to Djibouti (another of those exotic sounding places), nip over the water to Oman, cross the Straits of Hormuz to Iran, Pakistan, India, Nepal and you're there

It was called The Book Smugglers of Timbuktu, btw
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6176 on: 10 December, 2020, 06:14:49 pm »
[…] from Timbuktu to Kathmandu […]

If that’s not from Ian Dury's Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick, it should be :D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6177 on: 10 December, 2020, 06:48:39 pm »
It was called The Book Smugglers of Timbuktu, btw
I watched and Al Jazeera (I think) docu about them. Really interesting
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6178 on: 11 December, 2020, 10:37:48 am »
Dead Lies Dreaming, the latest from Charlie Stross.  If it wasn’t intended as a metaphor for Brexit, it certainly reads like one to this Unit.

Although promoted by the publisher as a Laundry File, it isn’t one, or at least no-one from the Laundry has appeared so far.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6179 on: 11 December, 2020, 10:46:01 am »
Troubles by JG Farrell

It really is as good as everyone says it is. And funny. Although quite bleak. Reminds me of Evelyn Waugh in that respect. Albeit with very different political sensibilities.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6180 on: 11 December, 2020, 12:38:56 pm »
Dead Lies Dreaming, the latest from Charlie Stross.  If it wasn’t intended as a metaphor for Brexit, it certainly reads like one to this Unit.

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1337370138421710853?s=20
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #6181 on: 20 December, 2020, 11:02:38 pm »
I am currently reading a number of very ancient back issues of "Laidback Cyclist", with one in four issues featuring the works of a certain Mr Larrington.
Book-wise, still working through the Potter with my son.  It's still nonsense enough that my 10-year-old comments about how ridiculous it is - I heard a rumour that it grows up a bit later in the serious so holding out for that.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6182 on: 21 December, 2020, 05:24:50 pm »
Just read Sard Harker by John Masefield.  Highly recommended (the language is a bit 1920s).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6183 on: 28 December, 2020, 02:21:49 pm »
Reading the first Harry Potter to#1 son at bedtime.  Not sure it's supposed to be funny in the way we find it funny.
(click to show/hide)
Try the Lemony Snicket books, they’re so much better - my son enjoyed them a lot more than the Harry Potter books when he was a small person.

The plots are equally ridiculous - but not in a bad way like HP.
Thanks for this, citoyen.  I got my eldest (7.5 and a voracious reader) the first two books for Christmas.  He knocked out The Bad Beginning before breakfast this morning and it looks like we’re going to be getting the full set...

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6184 on: 28 December, 2020, 02:27:45 pm »
I’m on the last volume of the Chronicles of St Mary’s by Jodi Taylor. Most enjoyable.

I’ve given up on the Ben Aaronovitch Peter Grant novels.

Also finishing off Ring the Hill by Tom Cox. Fond memories of Somerset revisited.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #6185 on: 28 December, 2020, 03:47:19 pm »
Thanks for this, citoyen.  I got my eldest (7.5 and a voracious reader) the first two books for Christmas.  He knocked out The Bad Beginning before breakfast this morning and it looks like we’re going to be getting the full set...
I would like to recommend the Cressida Cowell "How to Train Your Dragon" books.  They start off very easy reading but get more complicated and nuanced as you read through (just like the hype about the Potter) but are actually funny and different.
Worth noting that they are nothing like the films (other than the main character being called "Hiccup" and there being dragons in the stories).

« Reply #6186 on: 28 December, 2020, 04:04:05 pm »
The Return by Harry Sidebottom.
Third read in six weeks. Very good.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6187 on: 28 December, 2020, 05:52:43 pm »
Harrier 809 ~ Rowland White.  Military hist. focussing on the FAA's hastily-reformed 809 Squadron.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6188 on: 28 December, 2020, 06:08:48 pm »
Try the Lemony Snicket books, they’re so much better - my son enjoyed them a lot more than the Harry Potter books when he was a small person.

Yay!  :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6189 on: 29 December, 2020, 05:48:53 pm »
Sai King’s Under The Dome, which surprisingly post-dates The Simpsons Movie.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6190 on: 29 December, 2020, 06:20:15 pm »
I am not reading it yet, but if anyone wanted Ian Dunt's How To Be A Liberal on kindle it's on offer for £2.59 today.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6191 on: 29 December, 2020, 08:41:30 pm »

Yay!  :thumbsup:
I heard The Bad Beginning via the local library app and it had some good folly effects that made the story rather good/fun
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #6192 on: 30 December, 2020, 12:23:14 am »
Tom Holt's OutSorcerer's Apprentice.  It's mildly funny and mildly entertaining.  I wouldn't recommend, but I will finish reading it.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6193 on: 30 December, 2020, 08:01:00 am »
I've found Tom Holt to be a bit hit and miss, enjoyed Faust Among Equals, but found another of his unsatisfying
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #6194 on: 30 December, 2020, 10:08:59 am »
I found Tom Holt via 'Expecting Someone Taller'. Liked that, liked 'Flying Dutch' and 'Who's Afraid of Beowulf?', but he went very hit and miss after that.

Once he got onto his current 'Youspace' kick, he seemed to settle into bringing back recurring characters, and it became a rather unfunny version of 'Fast Show'.

Nope. No longer working for me, but I did read 'Orc on the Wild Side' a couple of weeks back. Still not doing it.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Steph

« Reply #6195 on: 30 December, 2020, 10:16:09 am »

Although promoted by the publisher as a Laundry File, it isn’t one, or at least no-one from the Laundry has appeared so far.

Finished it a while ago. Not quite sure of its 'fit' into the series; I suspect it is a placeholder/means of introducing some characters he wants to use later. One of the aspects some people miss about the Files is that he consciously wrote the initial ones in  different styles, so one was an Ian Fleming book, another Len Deighton, another Peter O'Donnell.

(click to show/hide)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #6196 on: 30 December, 2020, 10:22:34 am »
I picked up The Outsiders,  a biography of the Lords Northcliffe and Rothermere, the former being the founder of the Daily Maul, in a second-hand bookshop while on holiday a few years ago and have only just got round to starting it.

Whatever one thinks of the current rag, it's hard not to admire Alfred Harmsworth's drive and far-sightedness in the way that he set up and ran the paper (plus later ventures such as the Daily Mirror), with ideas that are now taken for granted but were innovative at the time.

So far, possibly the most amusing fact, though - given the rag's antipathy towards us today - is that Harmsworth was an obsessive cyclists, who once raced from London to Bournemouth on a penny farthing and began his career editing a bicycling magazine.

I haven't got to the part where he dies and Rothermere takes over, but his descendants appear to be a much less likeable bunch.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Steph

« Reply #6197 on: 30 December, 2020, 10:30:21 am »
I am currently reading a number of very ancient back issues of "Laidback Cyclist", with one in four issues featuring the works of a certain Mr Larrington.
Book-wise, still working through the Potter with my son.  It's still nonsense enough that my 10-year-old comments about how ridiculous it is - I heard a rumour that it grows up a bit later in the serious so holding out for that.

DECLARATION: I despise Rowling as a nasty and litigious bigot. She champions 'freeze peach' but regularly threatens libel action against anyone she dislikes. Including a magazine for schoolchildren.

That said, her writing is really, really poor in quality. It doesn't get any better; cardboard characters, dire exposition, overt racism: she is the one-bigot equivalent of the people who wrote 'Janet and John', "Spot the Dog' or any number of Star Wars novelisations.

« Reply #6198 on: 30 December, 2020, 10:56:10 am »
“The Final Crossing” by Brian McGilloway, an author from Derry who writes crime fiction. I’ve enjoyed all his works, but like many authors he can’t make a living from it. See also Adrian McKinty, particularly his Sean Duffy series. 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6199 on: 31 December, 2020, 10:47:25 am »
Serpentine ~ Philip Pullman.  That didn’t take long.  Nice drawings though.