Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846669 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #6800 on: 19 July, 2023, 05:15:04 pm »
And so to MW Cravens Dead Ground the 4th in his Washington Poe/Tilly Bradshaw series.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6801 on: 21 July, 2023, 11:41:11 am »
Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow

Far too many of the 69 books I've got through this year have been recommendations from No2Daughter who's ideal book is a 'spice' laden romance with faeries. I've read everything Sarah J Maas has ever written.

Despite the slightly YA feel of the description (presumably that's due to any mention of video games?) this feels a lot more grown up. I am loving it- the characters are so 3 dimensional I have had to stop myself from googling their output.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6802 on: 21 July, 2023, 04:40:41 pm »
Charlie Stross's sensitively-titled Season of Skulls, hoping to find out how CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN can be resolved but rather suspecting that dear Charles has painted himself into a corner.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6803 on: 22 July, 2023, 10:56:14 pm »
I read Steven Gould's novel Jumper, which was better than I expected, and then binge read the two sequels, Reflex and Impulse, which I think were even better.

Even though all three novels are based upon the basic concept of teleportation, the second and third add in some entirely new twists and perspectives. I don't think they're necessarily great works of literature, but they appear well written to me, and I enjoyed the storylines and originality a great deal. I'm definitely going to read the fourth novel in the series, and then probably be annoyed that there's not a fifth one yet!

If you like pulp science-fiction, fantasy, or even just original concepts, I'd recommend them. :thumbsup:

I think I watched the film, or at least some of it, but as I recall it wasn't as good as the books (or as memorable!)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #6804 on: 23 July, 2023, 11:49:27 am »
The (relative) proliferation of outback noir (the closest I’d come to it before were the novels of Peter Temple) as a result of the success of Jane Harper’s The Dry has led me to Chris Hammer (pretty good), Peter Papathanasiou ( 50/50 so far) and now Garry Disher. Most of his output remains unavailable in the UK (well, sensibly anyway, Amazon, for example, had one available from the US at £78 plus £10 delivery….. ) however his latest series, the main character being Constable Paul Hirsch are available from our library group (SELMS). So far I’ve read Peace (2nd in the series) and am halfway through Consolation (3rd). I’m enjoying them, set as they are in rural South Australia somewhere between Adelaide and Brocken Rock, in the mid-north.

« Reply #6805 on: 23 July, 2023, 12:30:27 pm »
Not started reading either yet, but the latest Ben Aaronovitch novella “Winter's Gifts” and, somewhat belatedly given its publication date of 2011, the sixth and last instalment of Malcolm Pryce's Louie Knight/Aberystwyth Noir series “The Day Aberystwyth Stood Still” touched down on the doormat today.
"Winters Gift" is on my Library waiting list.  Picked up the first of the Aberystwyth Noir series and the Librarian complemented it as a decent choice.
I am finishing off the last of the Holmes/Cthulhu books first (it's becoming a bit of a chore honestly).
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #6806 on: 25 July, 2023, 04:05:10 pm »
Just finished The Abominable by Dan Simmons, whose Hyperion I enjoyed a great deal, only to find some weird mishmash of pre-WWII spy caper and dodgy mountaineering.
Have now started Fire Season by Phil Connors. I am entirely unfamiliar with his work, but I at least know absolutely nothing about fire lookouts so my disbelief can take a nap.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6807 on: 25 July, 2023, 04:12:55 pm »
Have now started Fire Season by Phil Connors. I am entirely unfamiliar with his work, but I at least know absolutely nothing about fire lookouts so my disbelief can take a nap.

Sam

George R Stewart's Fire is very good in that respect.  It dates from 1948 but it's still a very good read, as are his other novels.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #6808 on: 01 August, 2023, 11:34:53 am »
A couple of recommendations (I recently listened to audio-book versions on Borrowbox):

The Satsuma Complex by Bob Mortimer (read by the author) - hilarious, and made more so being read by Mortimer. Crime, murder, romance and squirrels. What's not to like?

The Penguin Lessons by Tom Michell (read by Bill Nighy) - hard to believe it's a true story the beginning is so bizzare. A (mostly) heartwarming story of a man's friendship with a penguin, set against a backdrop of the different aspects of life in turbulent South America. I chose this completely at random but absolutely loved it.

Pen Pusher

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6809 on: 01 August, 2023, 11:55:45 am »
Jon Krakauer's Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town.  Uncomfortable reading.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6810 on: 01 August, 2023, 04:27:34 pm »
Have just finished "...Barring Mechanicals... from London to Edinburgh and back, on a recumbent bicycle" by Andy Allsopp in which this forum gets a mention...

This was a diversion from "Romantic Outlaws, the extraordinary lives of Mary Wollstonecraft and Mary Shelly" by Charlotte Gordon which seemed like a good concept in principle but in fact is fairly indigestible. I may give it another go and see if I can read a bit more of it.

« Reply #6811 on: 07 August, 2023, 08:19:22 am »
Another M W Craven offering FEARLESS, a kind of Reacher-ish storyline, possibly the first of a new series (although originally written as a spare time project). Quite entertaining.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6812 on: 08 August, 2023, 09:56:10 pm »
Having finally finished the illiad I'm now reading Niel Gunn's "Second sight" which I'm rather enjoying when I get a chance to read.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6813 on: 09 August, 2023, 12:51:00 am »
I read Steven Gould's novel Jumper, which was better than I expected, and then binge read the two sequels, Reflex and Impulse, which I think were even better.

Even though all three novels are based upon the basic concept of teleportation, the second and third add in some entirely new twists and perspectives. I don't think they're necessarily great works of literature, but they appear well written to me, and I enjoyed the storylines and originality a great deal. I'm definitely going to read the fourth novel in the series, and then probably be annoyed that there's not a fifth one yet!

If you like pulp science-fiction, fantasy, or even just original concepts, I'd recommend them. :thumbsup:

I think I watched the film, or at least some of it, but as I recall it wasn't as good as the books (or as memorable!)

I enjoyed those, in a YA kind of way.  Science fiction done right, in that it takes one macguffin (humans who can teleport) and explores its implications without ever trying to explain how it works.  (I particularly liked the way that the different people have very different ways of establishing their destination.)  Lovely in places, silly in others.  I expect you'll enjoy Exo.

The film, on the other hand, was shite.  One of the books is an attempt to redeem it by means of a coherent back-story, and is best considered not to be part of the series.

ETA: I discovered a TV adaptation of Impulse.  This was a lot less shit than the Jumper film, though only loosely follows the book.  The implications of teleportation takes a back seat to the sexual assault trauma storyline (which is very well done - I assume Gould's influence), and it got cancelled after the second season.

« Reply #6814 on: 09 August, 2023, 08:41:46 am »
Not a book.  There is talk of webcomics on Charles Stross's blog & someone posted a link to this.  http://www.mechmaster.co.uk/cg-lair/daleks/secemp000.htm

There be Daleks.......

https://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2023/08/summer-webcomics.html#comment-2175108
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #6815 on: 14 August, 2023, 02:05:17 pm »
Just finished Stephen King's “Billy Summers”, in which the paranatural and supernormal are limited to a couple of oblique references to the Overlook Hotel and Hemingford Home.
I enjoyed that one, too.  Now reading Duma Key at a rate of about one page per night...
Oh my goodness!  I finished Duma Key last Friday.  I had no idea that it had taken me five months to read  :o!  I really struggled to motivate myself to get past halfway, but it picked up quite a bit towards the end.  I've only given up on one Stephen King novel (Lisey's Story) and I was determined not to with this one.

« Reply #6816 on: 14 August, 2023, 02:09:52 pm »
Three men in a boat. Jerome.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6817 on: 15 August, 2023, 02:25:30 pm »

Far too many of the 69 books I've got through this year have been recommendations from No2Daughter who's ideal book is a 'spice' laden romance with faeries. I've read everything Sarah J Maas has ever written.

Despite the slightly YA feel of the description (presumably that's due to any mention of video games?) this feels a lot more grown up. I am loving it- the characters are so 3 dimensional I have had to stop myself from googling their output.

My finger is so firmly on the pulse:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/aug/11/levelling-up-how-gabrielle-zevins-gaming-novel-became-the-book-of-the-summer

« Reply #6818 on: 15 August, 2023, 06:07:42 pm »
From that review I have learned that the book is about:
- the meaningless of life
- the coming-of-age of 2 artists and an industry, presumably the video games industry
- video games
- the possibility of infinite rebirth
but (and?) that it has resonated with a lot of people. 

I suppose I'll have to read it to find out more, but only once Phineas Finn is done, and that might be some time.

« Reply #6819 on: 19 September, 2023, 11:33:49 pm »
Jon Krakauer's Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town.  Uncomfortable reading.
While i have been book stalking you, I might sit that one out.

Finished winters gifts a couple weeks ago and promptly forgot it.  Enjoyoying the Aberystwyth noir series to some extent, but the constant “one paragraph” narrative is getting on my nerves.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #6820 on: 19 September, 2023, 11:42:05 pm »
The Ascent Of Rum Doodle by W E Bowman  (mountaineering for St Custard's - but in English!)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6821 on: 20 September, 2023, 07:22:34 pm »
Trying to read Falling Upward by Richard Rohr, because a musician I like was inspired to write a beautiful song after he read it.

I struggled with Breathing Underwater and described his writing style as ‘almost unreadable’, which made me unpopular with a group of potential ordinands and senior clergy - they all seem to think he’s the bee’s knees. It was better on my second attempt.

I’m afraid I find this one incredibly difficult. Long woolly sentences that don’t really say anything. There’s something about the syntax that gets in the way. Maybe I’ve spent so long with academic writing that I’m spoiled for this sort of thing.

Luckily I remembered a copy of The Satsuma Complex that needs to be returned to its owner, so I’m going to read that instead.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #6822 on: 23 September, 2023, 07:31:33 pm »

My finger is so firmly on the pulse:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/aug/11/levelling-up-how-gabrielle-zevins-gaming-novel-became-the-book-of-the-summer

I found it OK. Obviously not as taken with it as you, and seemingly, everyone else. I didn't find the characters 3D enough to care that much. But I was amused by the idea of Solution. Oh, and I enjoyed it way more than I enjoyed Phineas Finn.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6823 on: 25 September, 2023, 02:58:16 pm »
The delightful (so far) Siege of Krishnapur, by J. G. Farrel.  The opening, at least as far as I have read, is rather reminiscent of Jane Austen but, being set in 1857 and chapatis appearing mysteriously in unexpected places, one suspects the delightfulness will soon be mitigated...

Dunno how we missed this when it came out, in 1973.  We used to ransack W.H.Smith's in Paris every few weeks back then.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6824 on: 26 September, 2023, 07:10:55 am »
Listening to The Expanse, book 7. Sadly the narrators voice has become too Zen/ASMR/relaxing to me. I have to be active while listening, if I sit and rest while listening I just drift off into zzzzzz.

I might have to go back to paper format like good old days of book 1 and 2 :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit