Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846684 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #1375 on: 17 June, 2010, 08:56:07 pm »
Can you list them for me to avoid embarrassing incidents?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1376 on: 17 June, 2010, 09:59:38 pm »
Can you list them for me to avoid embarrassing incidents?

I'm afraid it's too late,    you are beyond redemption... :-*
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1377 on: 17 June, 2010, 10:26:12 pm »
Oh well. *shrugs*
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1378 on: 18 June, 2010, 01:42:30 pm »
Currently on "The girl that played with fire" by Steig Larsson.

Very very good, BUT why did I choose to start the trilogy on the second book, not the first ???
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1379 on: 18 June, 2010, 02:35:43 pm »
Currently on "The girl that played with fire" by Steig Larsson.

Very very good, BUT why did I choose to start the trilogy on the second book, not the first ???

I did that with Jon Courtenay Grimwood's Arabesk trilogy.  Duh.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1380 on: 23 June, 2010, 11:18:21 pm »
I have just finished Lanark by Alasadair Gray, which is dark and bleak and ambitious, and probably not as good as it wants to be.  it's another book I've been meaning to read for ages.

Currently I'm reading the Bonfire of the Vanities. 

« Reply #1381 on: 23 June, 2010, 11:34:55 pm »
I have just finished Lanark by Alasadair Gray, which is dark and bleak and ambitious, and probably not as good as it wants to be.  it's another book I've been meaning to read for ages.

One of my favourites - I felt really drawn in and my state of mind temporarily altered by the book (if that doesn't sound too arsey).

Just finished "Sum" by David Eagleman - 40 very short stories outlining possible afterlives.  Highly recommended as a book to make you think.

Now reading "Red Square" by Martin Cruz Smith - the third Arkady Renko detective thriller set in Moscow during the collapse of the Soviet Union.  I thought that these books gave a good "feel" of Moscow, but he keeps referencing cars and mentioning Ladas and Zhigulis - AIUI they're the same thing - Lada was just the brand used for export?  :(

R

« Reply #1382 on: 24 June, 2010, 10:19:20 am »
After reading all of China Mievilles other work I finally bought his young adult novel, "Un Lun Dun" and I'm enjoying it immensely!

Carnivorous giraffes,  flying routemasters and binja warriors, good stuff :-D

http://www.sfreviews.net/unlundun.html

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #1383 on: 24 June, 2010, 01:11:01 pm »
Are Mr Larrington and I the only fans of the Smell of Reeves and Mortimer?

No. :thumbsup:

Also I am currently ploughing through the Audacity of Hype by Armudo Ianucci(sp)?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1384 on: 24 June, 2010, 02:43:59 pm »
I have just finished Eoin Colfer's "And Another Thing", and rather wish I hadn't bothered.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #1385 on: 24 June, 2010, 06:17:02 pm »
I finally got around to starting my Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy 5-book omnibus last week. First book done with, just about to start the Restaurant...

Lots of small references that I've seen on here & elsewhere are suddenly clicking into place  ::-)
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

« Reply #1386 on: 24 June, 2010, 07:08:58 pm »
I went through all the Alasdair Gray I could find, many years ago. Interesting books.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1387 on: 24 June, 2010, 11:30:25 pm »
I went through all the Alasdair Gray I could find, many years ago. Interesting books.

I've got 1982 Janine unread in a box somewhere.  I'll have a skeg and try to find it.

I sounded a bit negative previously, probably owing to the fact that there is so much in the book to mull over!  Lanark was an extremely engrossing and thought-provoking read.  I enjoyed the scale and ambition, but I though the references to a Faust/Faustus-style over-reacher were extremely apt, as the author's ambition seems to outstrip his abilities.  It doesn't quite hold together, and some parts are horribly self-indulgent, but it's a dazzling ferment of ideas, and the picture he paints of Glasgow is astonishingly detailed and vivid.  It's one I'll have to re-read.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1388 on: 25 June, 2010, 10:59:36 am »
Rake's Progress ~ Denis Rake.

Having come across references to Major Rake in Joe Saward's superbly researched but ultimately slightly dull tome "The Grand Prix Saboteurs", I dug this out from where it had lain for the last twenty-odd years.  'tis the autobiography of WW2's least ept and most camp secret agent.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1389 on: 25 June, 2010, 01:20:41 pm »

I've got 1982 Janine unread in a box somewhere.  I'll have a skeg and try to find it.

I sounded a bit negative previously, probably owing to the fact that there is so much in the book to mull over!  Lanark was an extremely engrossing and thought-provoking read.  I enjoyed the scale and ambition, but I though the references to a Faust/Faustus-style over-reacher were extremely apt, as the author's ambition seems to outstrip his abilities.  It doesn't quite hold together, and some parts are horribly self-indulgent, but it's a dazzling ferment of ideas, and the picture he paints of Glasgow is astonishingly detailed and vivid.  It's one I'll have to re-read.

It's one of those books that is worth re-reading as you age.  I first read it when I was about 15 and had an entirely different experience when I re-read it aged 38.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1390 on: 25 June, 2010, 05:08:26 pm »
"Pandaemonium" by Christopher Brookmyre.  A bit rehashed "video game meets reality" as found in "A Big Boy Did It and Ran Away". Not too sure about the demons aspect either - serious suspension of disbelief needed, rather than good guys vs bad guys plus black humour I'm used to.

It's getting better though. One of the demons has been told he fights like a lasssie.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

mikeitup

« Reply #1391 on: 28 June, 2010, 12:13:04 am »
Just finished "Giri" and "Dai-Sho" by Marc Olden.

Just started "Kisaeng" by Marc Olden.  Very very good blasts from the past.
Contemplating getting my Eric Van Lustbader books from out the loft when I have finished "Kisaeng". Not read them for at least 10 years.

Also read Charlie Brooker's "Screen burn" and "Dawn of the Dumb". I am glad I am not the only person who hates every thing and everyone  ;)

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1392 on: 30 June, 2010, 01:20:24 pm »
Finally getting round to Neal Stephenson's Anathem. It's pretty good so far, but he is still padding things way too much, in fact, in that regard, he's getting worse.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1393 on: 30 June, 2010, 02:16:29 pm »
"Pandaemonium" by Christopher Brookmyre. 

I read "Quite Ugly One Morning" a few years ago and have never felt inspired to read another of his.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1394 on: 30 June, 2010, 02:28:51 pm »
Just chewed through Transition (great) and American Gods (has its moments, very Gaiman); now embarking on John Stuart Mills's On Liberty.  Well, it might help me work out how I feel about the current political sitch.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1395 on: 30 June, 2010, 06:23:17 pm »
Just finished 'The Golden City' by John Twelve Hawks and started 'The end of Mr Y' by Scarlett Thomas

LindaG

« Reply #1396 on: 30 June, 2010, 06:33:22 pm »
The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1397 on: 30 June, 2010, 07:35:54 pm »
Just chewed through Transition (great)

Really? You're the first person I know, Banks fans included, who thinks so... what did you like about it?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1398 on: 30 June, 2010, 07:57:42 pm »
Much as I love the Culture, I love unfettered Banks too.  It wasn't perfect, for sure, but I just enjoyed how it flitted along.  I got vibes of the Bridge from it, and I always like Banks's pervert villains.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #1399 on: 07 July, 2010, 08:57:23 pm »
I've just finished The Fuller Memorandum, the 3rd novel in Charles Stross's Laundry series....  very enjoyable.  If you've not read the previous books think Len Deighton meets HP Lovecraft,  the Laundry being a British government agency set up to protect us from the supernatural.

Standout line......... "Zombies sir,  Thousands of them......."  :thumbsup:

Free Laundry here , The Concrete Jungle

Edit:  The story also features the use of Shuvels in anti zombie mode  :D