Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846663 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #1525 on: 10 October, 2010, 10:39:49 am »
Have just started "Zero History" by William Gibson.   Hannu Rajaniemi's "The Quantum Thief" and Iain M Banks's latest Culture tome are on the "waiting to be red" pile. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1526 on: 11 October, 2010, 02:39:57 pm »
Have just finished the 5th book on my Booker Prize List, 'C'.  Perhaps I am being uncharitable but I thought it was the biggest pile of crap that I had read, in a long long time. If this wins I will be disgusted. :sick:

Just about to start on the last book (I managed to get hold of a copy) 'The Finkler Question' by Howard Jacobsen, I have until the winner is announced tomorrow night so I don't have a lot of time!

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #1527 on: 11 October, 2010, 03:19:49 pm »
I am trying to read The Devil's Whisper by Miyuki Miyabe. But people keep coming in the office and I have to pretend to be working. Chuffing liberty if you ask me.

I like the surreal quality of a lot of Japanese writing.
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1528 on: 11 October, 2010, 03:29:26 pm »
First Light - Peter Ackroyd

I'm a big fan of Peter Ackroyd but this is one of his earlier works that I've overlooked until now and it's not one of his better ones. I'm ploughing through it dutifully but without an awful lot of pleasure so far. Disappointing.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #1529 on: 11 October, 2010, 03:39:07 pm »
Just finished le Carré's Our kind of traitor. Something of an obsession, as I've read all of his previous works, but felt that - although well written and topical - it didn't have the interest of his earlier Cold War-based novels. Perfect spy remains my favourite.

Now wading through Petzold's Annotated Turing - heavy going in places (for me, at least), but very well explained and proving more accessible than I'd feared. Many 'aha - now I understand that' moments along the way. Deeply sad choice of 'leisure' reading, I know, but sometimes relish a challenge.
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1530 on: 11 October, 2010, 06:41:11 pm »
Just finished le Carré's Our kind of traitor. Something of an obsession, as I've read all of his previous works, but felt that - although well written and topical - it didn't have the interest of his earlier Cold War-based novels. Perfect spy remains my favourite.

Mind you, you can't beat him for a cynical, well-turned spy novel. I recently read A Most Wanted Man, and was surprised by how well it stood up as a novel.

I just re-read Mythago Wood, by Robert Holdstock (RIP), a very nice piece of modern English fantasy.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1531 on: 11 October, 2010, 06:47:51 pm »
Dammit, I'd promised myself Our Kind of Traitor once I've finished writing my current report!  Now I can't suspend belief that it'll be his best work ever.  I do think that his later  books have got a bit samey, with The Constant Gardener being the best and A Most Wanted Man coming second. 

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1532 on: 11 October, 2010, 07:03:23 pm »
My husband and I are collecting the audio books of Le Carre, we absolutely loved An Honourable Schoolboy....they are a fantastic treat on long car journeys.

20 pages into the 6th and final book of the Booker Prize Quest, and have already fallen in love with 'The Finkler Question'.  :thumbsup:

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #1533 on: 12 October, 2010, 10:28:28 am »
Dammit, I'd promised myself Our Kind of Traitor once I've finished writing my current report!  Now I can't suspend belief that it'll be his best work ever.  ...

Don't worry - it's still classic le Carré, just a matter of personal taste as to where it fits in a spectrum of good to excellent.
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

« Reply #1534 on: 12 October, 2010, 10:34:27 am »
I am reading Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy on my Kindle. Have just finished 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' and started 'The Girl Who Played with Fire'. Pretty good books so far :)

ian

« Reply #1535 on: 12 October, 2010, 12:28:33 pm »
Transition.

I confess I’ve found Iain Banks’s work variable at best, but it was in the cheap bin and sounded promising from the jacket blurb. I know, I know I shouldn’t believe that. But what’s not to like, infinity-verse spanning conspiracies, shadowy organisations etc. etc.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #1536 on: 12 October, 2010, 12:37:21 pm »
'Who Is Mr Satoshi', a first novel by Jonathan Lee discovered in the library. Looking forward to the last 100 pages this evening  :)

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1537 on: 12 October, 2010, 01:31:35 pm »
I do not think that I am going to complete the 6th Booker title by this evening  :(

But I will rate them in order of preference:

Room - Emma Donoghue 9.5/10
The Long Song - Andrea Levy 9/10
The Finkler Question - Howard Jacobson 8.5/10
In a Strange Room - Damon Galgut 8.0/10
Parrot and Olivier in America - Peter Carey 7.0/10
C - Tom McCarthy 4/10

« Reply #1538 on: 12 October, 2010, 07:35:21 pm »
Well I think you've done pretty well to wade through that lot H_W....

The only one on the list I read was Room, and I did really like it.

Just finished One Day by David Nicholls; thought it was brilliant. Also very easy to read.

Moved on to Diary of a Nobody 'cos it's free on the Kindle and I once read an extract and liked it. The protagonist could rival YACFers for bad punnage  ::-) which he's ever so proud of, and it's pretty good.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1539 on: 12 October, 2010, 09:53:23 pm »
I Shall Wear Midnight, the latest Tiffany Aching novel from Terry Pratchett.

Absolutely perfect when you have a stinking cold and want to stay in bed  :thumbsup:
+1. The book must be a plague carrier, as I'm all flu-afflicted within a week of buying it.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #1541 on: 13 October, 2010, 09:14:49 am »
I have not read the winning tome. But on past form I have never been able to finish a Jacobsen novel.
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1542 on: 13 October, 2010, 09:49:10 am »
I enjoy the essays and reviews by Jacobson which occasionally appear in the Guardian Review.
Getting there...

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1543 on: 13 October, 2010, 02:00:19 pm »
I have not read the winning tome. But on past form I have never been able to finish a Jacobsen novel.

But he's such a witty and easy-reading writer. Kalooki Nights was superb. I will get round to reading this one soon.

I've just finished Blackout by Connie Willis. It's an SF novel featuring time-travelling historians set largely in the Blitz. All the US reviews of this seem to think it is fantastically authentic, and in some ways it reads that way. But it's actually the future elements that don't appear to work very well - the future historians all sound like early C20th dons and the Oxford of the future seems a stereotype of a university life that has already disappeared. However there may be a good reason for this anachronism, to be explained in the second and concluding volume, All Clear. Added to this is the fact that the style and tone has the feel of a novel for teenagers, a very good novel for teenagers - think Philip Pullman - but nevertheless there is something rather naive about it.

Zoidburg

« Reply #1544 on: 13 October, 2010, 07:30:40 pm »
Surface Detail - Ian M Banks.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1545 on: 14 October, 2010, 11:01:45 am »
Archy and Mehitabel, by Don Marquis
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1546 on: 15 October, 2010, 11:42:27 am »
Nerd Do Well ~ Simon Pegg

Watch Spaced instead.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1547 on: 18 October, 2010, 01:56:59 pm »
The Children Of Men ~ PD James.

I wish I'd thought of that as a plot...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1548 on: 18 October, 2010, 02:02:06 pm »
Metamorphosis by Franz K.

I suddenly realised I'd never read it, despite having read most of his books.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1549 on: 18 October, 2010, 02:25:05 pm »
Nerd Do Well ~ Simon Pegg

Watch Spaced instead.

Oh really? That is such a shame. Mind you the amount of plugging that he has been doing for it recently has been close to indecent.