Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846639 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #1800 on: 01 March, 2011, 01:22:16 pm »
Down & Out In Paris & London.

After finally getting round to Nineteen Eighty-Four last year and absolutely loving it, I've decided it's high time George Orwell featured more prominently in my reading. Such an elegant writer. I've also dipped into some of his essays recently and no matter what the subject, he's always captivating. Can't believe it's taken me this long in life to realise what a fine prose stylist he is.

d.

You should read his guide to writing of you like his style. It's a short essay "Politics and the English Language".
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1801 on: 01 March, 2011, 01:24:40 pm »
You should read his guide to writing of you like his style. It's a short essay "Politics and the English Language".

Just found it online... Oh, that is wonderful! Thanks!  :thumbsup:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1802 on: 01 March, 2011, 01:25:24 pm »
Just finishing "Without Remorse" and then heading on to "Dead Or Alive", so either end of the Jack Ryan universe stories....

After that, who knows, might hit some Orwell...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1803 on: 01 March, 2011, 02:56:08 pm »
Bulgakov: just finished

The White Guard
The Fatal Eggs.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1804 on: 01 March, 2011, 03:50:26 pm »
The Blitz ~ Juliet Gardiner.  Although it's not a subject about which an historian is inclined to make jokes, it's still rather dull and dry.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Clandy

« Reply #1805 on: 01 March, 2011, 06:56:50 pm »
The Afrika Reich by Guy Saville.

Synopsis

"1952. It is more than a decade since humiliation at Dunkirk brought an end to Britain’s war and the beginning of an uneasy peace with Hitler.
In Africa, the swastika flies from the Sahara to the Indian Ocean. Gleaming autobahns bisect the jungle, jet fighters patrol the skies. The brutal presence of the SS is visible everywhere. Now, however, the demonic plans of Walter Hochburg – architect of Nazi Africa – threaten Britain’s ailing colonies.
In England, ex-mercenary Burton Cole is offered one last contract. Burton jumps at the chance to settle an old score with Hochburg, despite the protests of the woman he loves. If Burton fails, unimaginable horrors will be unleashed in Africa. No one – black or white – will be spared. But when his mission turns to disaster, Burton is forced to flee for his life. His flight takes him from the unholy killing ground of Kongo to SS slave camps and on to war-torn Angola, finally reaching its thrilling climax in a conspiracy that leads to the dark heart of the Afrika Reich itself.

Guy Saville combines meticulous research with edge-of-the seat suspense to produce a superb novel of alternate history.
"

My impression so far? It's Fatherland crossed with a Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt novel.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1806 on: 01 March, 2011, 08:12:54 pm »
Just finished re-reading Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson, which manages to be a historical novel, an alternative history and a science-fiction novel in one book, and utterly brilliant all round. His best since The Years of Rice and Salt. IMHO, if there was less snobbery amongst literary critics about 'genre' fiction, both these novels would have won some heavyweight prizes.

« Reply #1807 on: 02 March, 2011, 12:45:07 am »
Have just looked on Amazon and shall get this, it pays to be on this thread

Father Frank by Paul Burke. V good so far. Basic plot - priest doesn't believe in God, drives taxi part time and falls in love. Hilarity ensues etc.

I've just finished. I won't spoil the ending. I guess it's a bit of chick-lit really, but funny and has a nice feel-good factor.

If you've not already ordered it then pm me your address and I'll stick it in the post. I was given the book in Denmark last week so one good turn deserves another.

Q

« Reply #1808 on: 02 March, 2011, 09:38:50 am »
Just finished re-reading Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson, which manages to be a historical novel, an alternative history and a science-fiction novel in one book, and utterly brilliant all round. His best since The Years of Rice and Salt. IMHO, if there was less snobbery amongst literary critics about 'genre' fiction, both these novels would have won some heavyweight prizes.

I agree. The Mars series was good but pretty generic SF. Years of Rice and Salt was brilliant. Haven't read Galileo's Dream will have to look get it now.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1809 on: 02 March, 2011, 11:34:53 am »
Beware Of The Dog ~ Brian Moore.  Loudmouth hooker-turned-pundit in well-written autobiography shock.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1810 on: 02 March, 2011, 01:08:49 pm »
I agree. The Mars series was good but pretty generic SF. Years of Rice and Salt was brilliant. Haven't read Galileo's Dream will have to look get it now.

I would say that the Mars Trilogy was a bit more than generic SF. It had quite a lot of rather interesting writing trying to bring to life geological processes, there was some other 'gaia / world spirit' stuff going on, and the whole thing is one of the best explorations of environmental politics (on earth) that I have read, and all the better for being fictional.

His early California trilogy of alternative futures for that state is also good (The Gold Coast, The Wild Shore and Pacific Edge). I really didn't think his recent Washington trilogy (the 40/ 50 / 60 Days... ones) were much cop though.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1811 on: 02 March, 2011, 11:31:24 pm »

After finally getting round to Nineteen Eighty-Four last year and absolutely loving it, I've decided it's high time George Orwell featured more prominently in my reading. Such an elegant writer. I've also dipped into some of his essays recently and no matter what the subject, he's always captivating. Can't believe it's taken me this long in life to realise what a fine prose stylist he is.

d.

Much of what he describes about the catering trade is still true.  Shockingly so.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #1812 on: 02 March, 2011, 11:47:20 pm »

d.

And the best bit is -

1.   Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
2.   Never use a long word where a short one will do.
3.   If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
4.   Never use the passive where you can use the active.
5.   Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
6.   Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1813 on: 03 March, 2011, 10:41:07 am »
1.   Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
2.   Never use a long word where a short one will do.
3.   If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
4.   Never use the passive where you can use the active.
5.   Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
6.   Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous

Much of which may be further summarised by Strunk & White's dictum, viz. "omit needless words".

citoyen

« Reply #1814 on: 03 March, 2011, 10:57:12 am »
My personal maxim: Verbosity hinders communication.

d.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1815 on: 03 March, 2011, 11:13:40 am »
Eschew gratuitous philological exhibitionism.

citoyen

« Reply #1816 on: 03 March, 2011, 11:25:41 am »
Eschew gratuitous philological exhibitionism.

POTD  ;D

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1817 on: 03 March, 2011, 11:52:31 am »
At the moment "It's all about the bike" by Robert Penn.  He does seem a little blinkered on what a bike should be...

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1818 on: 03 March, 2011, 05:38:31 pm »
Now reading Maiden Castle by John Cowper Powys. No conclusions yet, it's a big book!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1819 on: 03 March, 2011, 08:17:15 pm »
Enjoying a classic illogy at the mo, David Brin's Uplift books.  The first two were very good, with spare prose a bit like Crichton on a good day, but somehow for The Uplift War he swallowed a thesaurus.  Everything's sprouting frumious adjectives! 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #1820 on: 03 March, 2011, 10:32:35 pm »
Just finished Ben Elton's Meltdown - it's a polemic about taking personal responsibility with the occasional laugh out loud moment. Average to middling Ben Elton, then - wouldn't recommend to anyone coming to him new but if you are stuck on your back chewing through books at two+ a day, it's OK.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1821 on: 04 March, 2011, 08:50:18 am »
Just finished "No Angel" by Tom Bower.  It's a biography of Bernie Ecclestone.  Apparently Bernie is a bit of a chancer.  Well I never!

One has to hope that Mr Bower's reporting of the off-track dealings are more accurate that his recounting of Matters Arising from the actual racing.  When you attribute two fictitious World Championships to Sir Jack Brabham and Ron Tauranac, place the 1978 British Grand Prix at a sodden Silverstone rather than a dry Brands Hatch and, most heinous of all, make Jim Clark English, you have to wonder how thorough his research was.  I'm going to have to take back some of the rude things I said about Tom Rubython and Brock Yates.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1822 on: 06 March, 2011, 01:27:05 pm »
At the moment "It's all about the bike" by Robert Penn.  He does seem a little blinkered on what a bike should be...

Funny you should say that. I was given William Fotherington's Cyclopedia for Christmas and while the strap line for that is "It's all about the bike", the simple fact is that if it isn't about racing, he just isn't interested.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1823 on: 07 March, 2011, 07:40:53 pm »
Just got round to finishing Anathem by Neal Stephenson. Really enjoyable and one of the few books I have read recently that you felt could have gone off on completely different tangents at certain points in the book, creating completely different novels but I got the impression that most of them could have been good.

I preferred it massively to the Baroque Cycle books which I didn't get anywhere with.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1824 on: 07 March, 2011, 08:45:05 pm »
Ray Mears Goes Walkabout

The Man[tm] heads Down Under, and it's a cracking good read, especially his conversations with Bush Tucker Man (Les Hiddins) and his dealings with Aboriginal hunters. Stick him out in the middle of nowhere and he's like a kid in a sweetshop.

The more of his stuff I read the more I want to do one of his woodcraft courses (sadly neither time nor money permit this year).