Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846673 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #1850 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:36:55 am »
Mr. Lonely ~ Eric Morecambe.  Yes, that Eric Morecambe.  Surprisingly non-crap novel about - wait for it - a comedian.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #1851 on: 22 March, 2011, 06:55:21 pm »
Just finished The Hunting Apes - Meat Eating & The Origins of Human Behaviour - (full text link).

Just started re-reading Consider Phlebas - Iain M. Banks
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1852 on: 23 March, 2011, 01:15:59 pm »
MR James - Collected Ghost Stories.

Masterly ...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1853 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:20:01 pm »
Freedom - Jonathan Franzen

Enjoying it so far - his prose is very readable, it's funny in all the right ways and he's a good storyteller. But mostly it's just making me want to read The Corrections again.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1854 on: 26 March, 2011, 10:30:54 pm »
The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano. It's self-indulgent, meadering, pointless and yet utterly entrancing and brilliant, a disconcerting combination of headlong youthful enthusiasm and an almost forensic deconstruction of the same. The best way I can think of describing it is something like Jack Kerouac meets Marcel Proust in Mexico.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1855 on: 30 March, 2011, 11:55:38 am »
I was given almost all of the Harry Hole series for my birthday.
That should keep me busy for the summer...

I've got four of these in the "Pending" tray but why oh why oh why have the first two not yet been translated from the Scandiwegian ???

Had a long weekend of Scandiwegian crime novels and polished off all six Harry Holes by yesterday evening, then threw in a couple of Wallanders for good measure.  Best to read them in the order they were written as impatience got the better of me and I read The Leopard prior to buying The Snowman yesterday, which was a Silly Thing.

Also Gone by Mo Hayder.  Pacy but predictable.  I sussed who the arch-baddie was after about one-third distance.  Now my pending tray is empty chiz.

« Reply #1856 on: 30 March, 2011, 02:43:06 pm »
Now my pending tray is empty chiz.

A tragic occurrence

:(
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1857 on: 30 March, 2011, 04:19:18 pm »
The Vicar Of Wakefield - Oliver Goldsmith

One of those "classics" that's been on my to-read pile for years. I picked it up this morning because it's light and short, which is just what I need for a comedown after the behemoth that is Freedom (which, frankly, I'm still reeling from). Not digging it. It's... well, a bit primitive. I suppose that's because unlike Jonathan Franzen, Goldsmith didn't have 250 years of novel-writing tradition to draw on. But then I find Henry Fielding perfectly readable...

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1858 on: 31 March, 2011, 01:05:16 pm »
Now my pending tray is empty chiz.

A tragic occurrence

:(

Fortunately I happened across The Man Who Left Too Soon by Barry Forshaw while shopping for cheesy comestibles last night.  It has a photograph of a bespectacled and now dead Swede on the cover.

You can guess the rest.

« Reply #1859 on: 01 April, 2011, 09:39:10 pm »
French Revolutions by Tim Moore, courtesy of book swap with Quint of this parish.  Contains the line "I looked like Bernard Hinault giving birth to a cement mixer" ;D

Who wants it after me.  Am happy to post it on once I'm finished.  As long as you don't live on the moon and expect First Class.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #1860 on: 01 April, 2011, 09:42:41 pm »
  :thumbsup: Excellent read, Quisling.
My favourite line, when he entered a posh restaurant after a hard, wet day on the road, was something like, " I must have looked like the sole survivor of a pot-holing tragedy."
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #1861 on: 01 April, 2011, 10:55:32 pm »
And don't forget the anchovies incident  ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #1862 on: 02 April, 2011, 10:48:21 am »

Who wants it after me.  Am happy to post it on once I'm finished.  As long as you don't live on the moon and expect First Class.

Me please!
Wer sein Fahrrad liebt, der schiebt.
He who loves his bike, will push it.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1863 on: 02 April, 2011, 03:44:13 pm »
One of  our Thursdays is Missing - latest Jasper Fforde.  Glad he's stopped the disappointing Toytown books for the moment.  Will report back.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #1864 on: 02 April, 2011, 08:43:55 pm »

Me please!

PM me your address Wheezer and I'll post it on when I've finished.
Rgds
Q

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1865 on: 02 April, 2011, 08:49:03 pm »
"The Rough Guide To Alaska" ... initial reading for next year's planned jaunt to forn parts (work, money and fitness permitting)

Some useful info, but the storyline sucks :)

« Reply #1866 on: 02 April, 2011, 09:05:37 pm »
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Sieg Larrson. Riveting stuff.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1867 on: 02 April, 2011, 10:33:19 pm »

I highly recommend the whole trilogy, they were the first books I bought for my Amazon Kindle and I really enjoyed them!

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #1868 on: 02 April, 2011, 10:52:39 pm »
"Shoes and Pattens: finds from Medieval excavations in London" by Francis Grew and Margrethe de Neergaard

Geeking in an arty way these days - "getting really right-brained" as Douglas Coupland once put it.
My goodness, when I get the geek, I really get it...
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #1869 on: 02 April, 2011, 10:56:12 pm »

I highly recommend the whole trilogy, they were the first books I bought for my Amazon Kindle and I really enjoyed them!

Me too !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

AndyK

« Reply #1870 on: 03 April, 2011, 09:50:25 am »
… You've Gone Too Far This time, Sir! by Danny Bent.

'Have you ever woken up in the sultry heat of the morning, your hair and beard teeming with maggots, and then had potatoes picked out of your ears? Have you ever felt the cold barrel of a semi automatic gun against your forehead?When Danny Bent cycled 15,000 kilometres from the UK to India to raise money for ActionAid, it was a decision that took twenty years and one minute. For twenty years he had wanted to do something to raise money for charity. The one minute was when as their teacher he was put on the spot by his pupils and declared that the means was by bike, and he was going to India'

I couldn't put this down once I'd started. It is a very good, non-stop read, written with passion and humour, detailing Danny's bicycle trek to India. His always optimistic view, even when suffering the trials of explosive food poisoning, is extremely infectious.
Bought it on Kindle first, but have now also ordered the book from the ActionAid website (to do my 'bit').

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1871 on: 05 April, 2011, 01:45:50 am »
One of  our Thursdays is Missing - latest Jasper Fforde.  Glad he's stopped the disappointing Toytown books for the moment.  Will report back.

Good enough.  Not quite a full return to form, but there are reasons why this is acceptable; a series is allowed this kind of book.  I can't explain more without spoiling not only some early suspense but a recurrent theme in the book.  Still much better than the Toytown books and has some cracking Harry Potter jokes.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1872 on: 05 April, 2011, 11:01:28 am »
Just finished Maiden Castle (read several other things during the same time). Hmm. No sure what to think about it. I have an enormous feeling of pointlessness. It had some really great writing in it, but a lot of the time it just bimbled about. It seemed to be a book in need of an editor.

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #1873 on: 05 April, 2011, 01:20:08 pm »

They're not a trilogy, isn't the 5th due to be published at it was written before the 4th, which never was.....or something like that....

3rd film is out soon too, I think next week

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1874 on: 05 April, 2011, 03:16:49 pm »
Mystery on the island The Ladybird Key Words Reading Scheme.

As Peter and Jane walked through the village they saw a policeman they knew. He came over to ask them if they had seen a boy he wanted to find.

"His name is Ron Dare," he said. "He is fourteen years old and he has red hair. You may know him as he used to stay near this village for his holidays."

Peter and Jane said they had not seen the ginger ponce. Peter asked the policeman why he wanted to find him.

"He owes me five large ones," said the policeman.

Peter and Jane exchanged perplexed looks. "We will certainly let you know if we do Officer," said Peter. As Peter and Jane continued through the village, Janet remarked that she thought the policeman's breath smelt heavily of drink, and… continued overleaf
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex