Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846706 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #1875 on: 07 April, 2011, 12:50:11 pm »
They're not a trilogy, isn't the 5th due to be published at it was written before the 4th, which never was.....or something like that....

Apparently he intended to write ten, but only three were ever delivered to the publisher.  He was well into #4 when he died but the consensus is that there isn't enough of it to publish and one or two authors who had been discreetly approached to finish it declined to take on the job.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1876 on: 08 April, 2011, 07:30:54 am »
And in the flux of interest in Scandinavian authors steps Anne Holt. Just finished 1222 (as it was £1 on my Kindle) and was pleasantly surprised. The centre person of the drama is a crippled lesbian ex police inspector, and a not entirely likeable character. Actually, that's not true, it would be more accurate to say one of the least cuddly heroes you could imagine. A good plot well executed, though,  and one that left me wanting to see more of Norway.

« Reply #1877 on: 08 April, 2011, 10:30:10 am »
Euclid's Window : The Story of Geometry from Parallel Lines to Hyperspace

Not bad. Some annoying Americanisms in the text. Mainly "fit" instead of "fitted" that grated a bit but in general an engaging and witty romp through geometry.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1878 on: 08 April, 2011, 11:03:47 pm »
Room - Emma Donoghue

Amazing. I'm totally spellbound. Quite horrific, of course, but that's kind of why it works...

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1879 on: 09 April, 2011, 08:02:59 pm »
Now reading Barbed Wire - A Political History, which is a (rather horrifying) little gem of a book.

AndyK

« Reply #1880 on: 10 April, 2011, 01:17:20 pm »
The Shock Doctrine - Naomi Klein.

« Reply #1881 on: 11 April, 2011, 05:55:01 pm »
Years ago I read 'No Logo' by Naomi Klein.  It was very interesting but I thought Vance Packard (The Waste Makers and The hidden Persuaders) was an earlier and better writer on the subject (1961).  I see they are about to republish the former!
Move Faster and Bake Things

border-rider

« Reply #1882 on: 11 April, 2011, 06:01:36 pm »
The Girl with the Peal Necklace or whatever it's called.  Mrs MV got it on the Kindle so since it was there I thought I'd give it a go

Not what I expected.  Dull, for prolonged periods, with the odd interesting bit.  Maybe it's better in Swedish.

« Reply #1883 on: 12 April, 2011, 02:45:09 am »
Just finished 'Cat's Cradle. A novel' by Kurt Vonnegut.
A really weird book but enjoyable all the same. I've never read anything quite like this before.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1884 on: 12 April, 2011, 02:07:13 pm »
Bartimaeus: The Amulet Of Samarkand ~ Jonathan Stroud.  Kids' stuff really but quite droll.  I especially liked the reference to the unlikelihood of trainee wizards being packed off to boarding skool.

« Reply #1885 on: 13 April, 2011, 06:23:05 am »
The Hinge of Fate, the fourth volume of Churchill's history of WWII. I keep saying that I'm going to get away from this topic, but I keep getting the next volume.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1886 on: 13 April, 2011, 08:28:02 am »
Just finished The Redeemer and am now on The Snowman, only The Leopard left.

That reminds me I must re-format my Anne McCaffery books for my e-reader as it can't resize the text in their current format (and my poor old eyes can't read the text as it is!)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1887 on: 15 April, 2011, 11:07:41 am »
I'm reading Two Wheels In The Dust by Anne Mustoe (signed 'Happy Travelling!' by Anne herself, but not to me).  It's the story of her trip in Nepal and India with two companions, following the journeys of Sita & Rama through various holy places mentioned in the Ramayana, including the disputed temple at Ayodhya.  This was 1998, and she had previously visited in 1996, when the dispute was still fresh.  The descriptions of the two visits is very interesting.

I was a bit disappointed by this, I'm afraid.

It's meant to be structured round a narrative - the Ramayana - but in fact, it isn't a single journey, but a few, which does the journey out of order.  It just makes it all a bit disjointed and, despite the research she has obviously done, seems cobbled together after the fact.

The descriptions of the travel are interspersed with retelling of the Ramayana story, which is a good structure, but she isn't a great storyteller, and she's inconsistent with what belongs in the 'story' bits, so the distinction doesn't really stand.

What grated most though was her attitude.  I think she was a public school headmistress, and it kinda shows.  She's rather a snob, and doesn't seem to like people much.

Now Josie Dew can sometimes be a bit judgemental, but she does it with wit and it adds to the narrative rather than takes away.  And she knows she's doing it.

Mustoe, on the other hand, despite spending time with the people en route, makes sweeping (and inconsistent) generalisations about whole groups of people.  It verges on racism at points, and that was uncomfortable to read.

She obviously loved India.  But what was the India she aspired to?  It's the Raj - a vision of taking tea with local aristocracy in opulent palaces surrouned by beautiful gardens, waited on by servants in crisp white uniforms.  Now, I know that the Ramayana is a story wrapped about with the fulfilment of the duties of a ruler, in many ways, but this goes beyond an exploration of that.  While she writes of her horror of the caste system, she is very happy to benefit from it.

There is much of interest in the book, and I learned a lot about the temples and visual imagery, as well as the complex web of Hindu deities, but I couldn't warm to the narrator.

Oh - and the final straw was ascribing the human development of Kerala to the benevolence of some long-gone ruler, instead of the government (inconveniently both Communist and massively popular) which was elected to improve conditions for ordinary people.

Disclaimer:  I have never travelled to India (I have never had the funds nor the good health to do so).  And I am a grumpy antisocial bugger, so no good at talking to local people wherever I am, so I'm not sure I'd be a good travel writer, except in a Bruce Chatwin-y vein.
Getting there...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1888 on: 17 April, 2011, 02:21:48 pm »
Calling all Bernie Gunther fans! Have just finished Philip Kerr's latest offering, Field Grey.

I wasn't overly impressed with the last one as I just wasn't interested in his Cuban adventures. This book however is mainly set back in Germany again, which is what I was really craving.

Over 500 pages finished in 9 hours - it was bloody brilliant  :thumbsup: I think Bernie is my favourite fictional detective of all time.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1889 on: 17 April, 2011, 09:26:58 pm »
I think Bernie is my favourite fictional detective of all time.

Not read any of Walter Mosley's Easy Rawlins novel then?  ;)

But seriously, start with Devil in a Blue Dress and enjoy...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1890 on: 18 April, 2011, 02:20:33 pm »
American Gods ~ Neil Gaiman.  I read it a few years ago but I think that was the earlier version.

Billy Weir

« Reply #1891 on: 18 April, 2011, 04:54:45 pm »
Just finished a translation of "Let the Right One In".   A good read, with an original setting for a vampire story, being as it is set in a Swedish sink estate.  Tthe Swedish film is excellent as well for those who can't be doing with a 500 page novel.

Now on to Dante's Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso as translated by Mark Musa.  Read before, but not for a good many years...

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #1892 on: 21 April, 2011, 11:26:46 am »
Just started my Easter clear out and was up in the attic where I re-discovered a lot of books from my childhood.  so now I'm reading "Billy Bunter at Butlins" to be followed by a lot of "Biggles"
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1893 on: 22 April, 2011, 09:03:07 am »
"The Men Who Stare at Goats" by Jon Ronson.  A curios find in a charity shop.  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Men_Who_Stare_at_Goats  

The Men Who Stare at Goats (2004) is a book by Jon Ronson based on research by John Sergeant about the U.S. Army's exploration of New Age concepts and the potential military applications of the paranormal. The title refers to attempts to kill goats by staring at them. Research was carried out in part by Jon Ronson, but also by documentary filmmaker John Sergeant.
  ???

Also reading "Setting up a Tropical Aquarium week by week" by Stuart Graves.  Interesting reading, looking forward to getting my tropical tank delivered next week!  

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #1894 on: 23 April, 2011, 01:52:40 am »
Class of '88.

Tis an ebook about the early rave scene and very good!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #1895 on: 24 April, 2011, 10:04:16 pm »
Calling all Bernie Gunther fans! Have just finished Philip Kerr's latest offering, Field Grey.

I wasn't overly impressed with the last one as I just wasn't interested in his Cuban adventures. This book however is mainly set back in Germany again, which is what I was really craving.

Over 500 pages finished in 9 hours - it was bloody brilliant  :thumbsup: I think Bernie is my favourite fictional detective of all time.

I've bought but haven't started Field Grey yet!  I agree that Bernie is a great character and would recommend him to anyone.  Have you read Kate Atkinson's series featuring Jackson Brodie?  The first is "Case Histories", set in Cambridge and featuring three separate cases.  Also well worth reading.
The older I get, the better I was

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1896 on: 24 April, 2011, 10:27:54 pm »

I've bought but haven't started Field Grey yet!  I agree that Bernie is a great character and would recommend him to anyone.  Have you read Kate Atkinson's series featuring Jackson Brodie?  The first is "Case Histories", set in Cambridge and featuring three separate cases.  Also well worth reading.

You are a person after my own heart! I adore Kate Atkinson's books. Case Histories was very good - Brodie is such a mix of a character. What is even better is Behind the Scenes at the Museum.

I am wondering how much more we can get of dear Herr Gunther  :-\

« Reply #1897 on: 24 April, 2011, 10:33:29 pm »
Yeah, I've read "Behind the Scenes...".  It was because I live in York.  Apart from the local connections it was a well woven story and the end was very "satisfying".  Apparently the BBC are serialising Case Histories but I don't know when.  I keep seeing Bill Nighy playing Jackson Brodie!
The older I get, the better I was

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1898 on: 26 April, 2011, 12:01:43 pm »
Decide to revisit Iain M Banks before Easter.  Just started Use Of Weapons.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1899 on: 26 April, 2011, 12:54:33 pm »
Er, Redwall. The badgers and moles are excellent. :)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.