Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846668 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #1900 on: 27 April, 2011, 10:08:37 pm »
John Buchan - Mr Standfast.  Richard Hannay  :thumbsup:  Scary politics/racial stereotypes etc. etc.  It's nearly 100 years old though, and good fun.

« Reply #1901 on: 27 April, 2011, 10:12:25 pm »
John Buchan - Mr Standfast.  Richard Hannay  :thumbsup:  Scary politics/racial stereotypes etc. etc.  It's nearly 100 years old though, and good fun.

Yes, Buchan (like Kipling) grates a bit now for most people in terms of stereotypes but both are great storytellers and Kipling is a great writer.  Have you read "Kim"?

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1902 on: 28 April, 2011, 02:15:23 pm »
I'm reading a collection of interviews with anarchist and anarchist-influenced writers. It is really making me reconsider some things about my own writing practice.

« Reply #1903 on: 28 April, 2011, 06:49:29 pm »
Re reading another of the old greats, Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers, very good
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Nightfly

« Reply #1904 on: 30 April, 2011, 04:05:06 am »
The Forgotten Highlander by Alistair Urquhart. His account of life as a POW during WW2 building the Death Railway in Thailand and then imprisoned on Singapore under the sadistic, torturing, murdering Japanese and Koreans.

Read it cover to cover without a break. A grim but compelling story. The conduct of British Government and MOD was far from supportive of troops in the Far East. Ends with the dropping of the atomic bomb on Nagasaki, then the author recounts his journey to get home to Scotland and his treatment once home. A must read.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1905 on: 04 May, 2011, 06:27:27 am »
Finished The Leopard by Jo Nesbo, and The Descendent by Iain M Banks, now on Feersum Endjinn by same.

This last one is pretty good, but some of the sections are very hard to read as they are written in phonetics.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1906 on: 04 May, 2011, 12:46:43 pm »
The Descendent by Iain M Banks

What this?  Even Mr Banks' webby SCIENCE seems not to have heard of it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ravenbait

« Reply #1907 on: 04 May, 2011, 12:50:31 pm »
"The Murder of the Romanovs" by Andrew Cook. For the second time. I've just finished "The Boneshaker" by Cherie Priest, which I didn't like as much as I wanted to.

Sam

red marley

« Reply #1908 on: 04 May, 2011, 12:53:25 pm »

It's one of his short stories, found in "The State of the Art" collection.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1909 on: 04 May, 2011, 01:03:57 pm »

It's one of his short stories, found in "The State of the Art" collection.

Ah!  All becomes clear, like a glass hummingbird.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #1910 on: 07 May, 2011, 02:05:45 pm »
The Making of Our Bodies Ourselves. Well, I have just opened the first page. the original book was a kind of life manual for me and many of my female friends when we were young so I'm looking forward to reading this. I'm also reading a work of fiction called Witness the Night, a crime novel set in India with a female protagonist. It yields a dark and unpleasant vision of some  women's lives in contemporary Indian society. I'm hoping that The Making of Our Bodies Ourselves will be the light at the end of the tunnel.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1911 on: 07 May, 2011, 04:17:47 pm »
Crikey - I remember reading Our Bodies Ourselves.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1912 on: 08 May, 2011, 10:50:11 am »
Just finished 'Fatherland' by Robert Harris - really enjoyed it. As an alternative future I could not really see how Germany and her conquered territories could really rub along with the UK and US  :-\

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1913 on: 08 May, 2011, 02:49:54 pm »
Finished The Leopard by Jo Nesbo, and The Descendent by Iain M Banks, now on Feersum Endjinn by same.

This last one is pretty good, but some of the sections are very hard to read as they are written in phonetics.

It goes from difficult to almost impossible to read, one of the main characters has become a hawk and is talking to a sparrow that has a lisp!!!!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

« Reply #1914 on: 08 May, 2011, 05:48:22 pm »
It's the only IMB that I couldn't finish.  I just couldn't read it - couldn't get to the end of it.  Unlike the 2 on my bedside table, that I can't seem to get to the start of although . 

However, in shocking news, last night I actually read about a third of the most recent Kitty Norville book to appear in our household.  It's the first time that I've just read a few of chapters of one of those - normally you can swallow them up in one bite.  But that's the first time I've read a bit of a book in months - I have a vague recollection of reading a bit of something at Christmas, but couldn't guarantee it.  And I normally read or re-read anything up to half a dozen books in a normal week.  Maybe my head is stairting to work again.

« Reply #1915 on: 08 May, 2011, 07:48:50 pm »

It goes from difficult to almost impossible to read, one of the main characters has become a hawk and is talking to a sparrow that has a lisp!!!!

If you could understand Kirst when her keyboard was faulty you'd have no problem with Bascule .... :)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #1916 on: 08 May, 2011, 09:27:24 pm »
I had trouble with Feerdum Endjinn the first time.  Got it back out of the library a couple of months later and just read it.  Strange how the second time the phonetics wern't the problem that they had been the first time.

Dave

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1917 on: 10 May, 2011, 01:02:09 pm »
Just been given a copy of Mark Beaumont's The Man Who Cycled The Americas.  :thumbsup:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1918 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:00:04 pm »
I just finished The Land of Painted Caves by Jean M. Auel on my Kindle.

This was the final book of 6 in the 'earth's children' series. I had read the previous 5 books over 15 years ago and so it was a blast from the past picking up the story now. I was a bit disappointed with at least the first half of the book. It was all very predictable and samey. The story line didn't really grip me until well into the second half. It seemed that the book was mostly the author tying up loose ends rather than introducing anything really new to the story line. I had expected the book to end with the resolution of some kind of epic battle between the people of 'the clan' and 'the others' but this never happened. I am glad I read this book for closure, but in it's own right I don't think it is as good as her previous works. I still have paperback copies of the first 5 books and I will probably recommend them to my daughter to read soon since she is nearly 14.

« Reply #1919 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:09:52 pm »
Just read Surface Detail. I kept feeling I'd read it before, though I hadn't. I fear Mr Banks wrote a book by cobbling together bits (some of them repainted, or at least touched up) from previous ones. Disappointing.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #1920 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:17:01 pm »
Tiassa, by Steven Brust.  A quirky book, but good to have another dose of Vlad.  Pretty sure this one isn't the right place to start the series though (but do try them, as a series they're excellent).

And prior to that, Among Others by Jo Walton.  I don't think it's giving much away to say that it's more like a romp through the library than a novel -- but none the worse for that!  If you spent your childhood camping in the sci-fi section, this one is for you.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #1921 on: 11 May, 2011, 10:25:29 am »
Over the last 6 months or so I've read Middlemarch (twice), Pickwick Papers, Our Mutual Friend, Desperate Remedies (Hardy's first) and currently re-reading The Mayor of Casterbridge (which seems too simplified, I preferred the style of the former, which was not well-received).  Also King Lear, The Tempest, re-read Twelfth Night and currently Hamlet, and Peter Carey's new book "Olivier and Parrot in America".

I've also been re-introduced to a theory I've known about for some time but not got into:- that William Shakespeare of Stratford was not author of the plays and poems, in fact there is nothing whatever to link him to any of them, and very little link to him to the theatre either though he certainly made a fair bit of cash somehow.  A more likely contender is Edward de Vere 17th Earl of Oxford who had the necessary classical learning, experience of the court, had travelled extensively in Italy, and was known as a first-class writer in his lifetime.  For more info try The De Vere Society - welcome or SHAKESPEARE'S SONNETS - THE MONUMENT CHANGES THE PARADIGM - SHAKESPEARE'S SONNETS: THE MONUMENT are two of many sites.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1922 on: 11 May, 2011, 10:36:36 am »
After listening to a podcast interview with Gary Shteyngart, I've ordered a copy of Super Sad True Love Story. Looking forward to that.

I'm also tempted to pick up a copy of Sam Leith's The Coincidence Engine. Sounds right up my street.

Both are on the Wodehouse prize shortlist. Anyone read and care to comment on either?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

CrinklyLion

« Reply #1923 on: 11 May, 2011, 10:50:40 am »
I made a minor start on a Harry Dresden last night.

« Reply #1924 on: 11 May, 2011, 11:55:38 am »
Over the last 6 months or so I've read Middlemarch (twice), Pickwick Papers, Our Mutual Friend, Desperate Remedies (Hardy's first) and currently re-reading The Mayor of Casterbridge (which seems too simplified, I preferred the style of the former, which was not well-received).  Also King Lear, The Tempest, re-read Twelfth Night and currently Hamlet, and Peter Carey's new book "Olivier and Parrot in America".

I've also been re-introduced to a theory I've known about for some time but not got into:- that William Shakespeare of Stratford was not author of the plays and poems, in fact there is nothing whatever to link him to any of them, and very little link to him to the theatre either though he certainly made a fair bit of cash somehow.  A more likely contender is Edward de Vere 17th Earl of Oxford who had the necessary classical learning, experience of the court, had travelled extensively in Italy, and was known as a first-class writer in his lifetime.  For more info try The De Vere Society - welcome or SHAKESPEARE'S SONNETS - THE MONUMENT CHANGES THE PARADIGM - SHAKESPEARE'S SONNETS: THE MONUMENT are two of many sites.
That's the argumentum ex silentio - a logical fallacy. There's plenty of evidence to link the plays to someone called William Shakespear, & a total lack of any other candidate of that name.

All arguments against Shakespear except those of education & background apply much more strongly to every other candidate. The original, & still chief argument put forward by Anti-Stratfordians is snobbery. They assume that only an aristocrat was capable of such writing.

The anti-Stratfordians conveniently ignore the mountain of evidence. They're cranks, superficially plausible as long as you read only their arguments, & don't compare them with any others. For example, this, from the de Vere Society -

there is simply not a shred of evidence produced in his lifetime that he was either an author and surprisingly little evidence that he was even an actor. The only documents that link him with the theatre are two which record him being a shareholder in the Globe Theatre, and three which link him as an associate of known actors of the King’s Men and the Chamberlain’s Men.

There are no letters written by him, even though he lived apart from his wife and children for many years. There are no letters written by his contemporaries which describe any literary activities on his part.
It is, quite simply, garbage. The claim that "there is simply not a shred of evidence produced in his lifetime that he was either [sic] an author" is totally, utterly, false. There are numerous references, for example in the Palladis Tamia of 1598, where he's described as an author of unpublished sonnets, as well as named as the author of 12 of the plays. He was named during his lifetime as author of other Shakespear plays. And much, much, more.

There is nothing in the surviving papers of his literary contemporaries which refer to Shakspere as a fellow writer;
An outright lie - also from the de Vere society.

The de Vereists also wilfully misrepresent the eulogies in the First Folio, e.g. claiming that Ben Jonson's "The figure that thou here see'st put, It was for gentle Shakespeare cut" refers to a substituting of the picture of Shakespeare for that of a different, nobly-born person. Shakespeare was 'gentle', in the meaning of the time, i.e. a member of the gentry, & had been since his father was granted arms in 1596. The idea that because Jonson, who in his memoirs described Shakespeare as a good friend, would be subtly referring to an aristocrat, rather than his friend the officially, legally, 'gentle' Mr. William Shakespeare is ludicrous. The rest of the re-interpretation is similarly specious.

Etc.

The argument for de Vere is basically that he was the sort of person who snobs expect to have written great literature, & Shakespear (whose glover father's elevation to the gentry was protested against by some) wasn't. There's no evidence whatsoever that de Vere wrote any of the plays or sonnets.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897