Author Topic: Vegan recipes.  (Read 45642 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Vegan recipes.
« Reply #25 on: 18 December, 2016, 07:43:52 pm »
Delia has a great recipe for veggie shepherd's pie which should be easy to adapt to veganism.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #26 on: 23 June, 2017, 04:23:19 pm »
When all the recipes bother me and I want to try some restaurant food, I visit an Internet page https://restaurantguru.com/search/vegetarian?is_collection=0&location=co96&q=vegetarian&s=1 and choose where to go. Actually, sometimes I just look at the pics and cook something by myself  ;D.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #28 on: 18 January, 2019, 12:18:40 pm »
I've posted about this elsewhere but I didn't realise there was a specific vegan recipes thread until just now...

I recently made Rahul's Gugni Chaat Tartlets, as shown in Vegan Week on this year's series of Bake Off - although I admit I used normal dairy yoghurt instead of vegan. They are truly awesome. The sharpness of the plum chutney works brilliantly with the chaat filling, and the crumbly spicy pastry is a perfect textural contrast. The raita that goes with them is lovely too.

http://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/ghugni-chat-tartlet/
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

Vegan recipes.
« Reply #29 on: 09 March, 2019, 07:44:44 pm »
Made a vegan katsu curry tonight, adapting this recipe: https://scrummylane.com/chicken-katsu-curry-with-an-easy-curry-sauce/ - using sweet potato instead of chicken, and veg stock instead of chicken stock, and omitting the honey, obviously. Also added a finely diced carrot to the sauce.

Had to give a bit of thought to how to make the breadcrumbs stick without egg, decided to make a simple batter of flour, water and olive oil, and it worked really well.

Super tasty. :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #30 on: 10 March, 2019, 08:40:07 am »
I have a Katsu trim router in the workshop.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

« Reply #31 on: 10 March, 2019, 09:55:16 am »
I have a Katsu trim router in the workshop.

Does it taste good coated in breadcrumbs and smothered in curry sauce?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #32 on: 10 March, 2019, 02:55:11 pm »
I have my doubts - probably more like grease & rubber.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

« Reply #33 on: 20 September, 2022, 10:36:41 am »
I made some vegan, gluten-free crackers to take for snacking on during the quiz night we went to on Saturday. I often make a recipe using almond flour but my wife has gone off these - she finds them too almondy. It occurred to me that buckwheat would make a good GF alternative, and a quick google turned up this recipe...

https://www.archanaskitchen.com/buckwheat-cracker-recipe

It's great, highly recommended. I used just oregano instead of mixed herbs, omitted the sugar, and went easy on the chilli because my wife doesn't like things too hot, but otherwise followed the recipe to the letter. They taste great and have a lovely crunch. Great with houmous. And in fact my wife said she could have handled them being a bit spicier, so I made another batch yesterday and went for the full dose of chilli.

I think these are going to become a bit of a staple for us, and a perfect replacement for the almond crackers. Another benefit is that buckwheat flour is considerably cheaper than almond flour.

« Reply #34 on: 20 September, 2022, 08:26:28 pm »
ooh! GF transport substrate! Will have to give that a try - have plenty of buckwheat flour in the house atm.

Related public service announcement:

https://runningonrealfood.com/vegan-buckwheat-pancakes/ is a good pancake recipe. Can confirm the batter survives being made the night before and then being transported by bike to a non-flamable location of your choice. Just add the lemon juice and baking powder when you're ready to cook.

Also: the pancakes can be made in bulk and frozen. I used a defrosted one the other day to pad out the bottom of a tub for the early stages of blackberry picking. As the tub filled up the pancake (and a few of the berries) was disposed of in a responsible manner.

citoyen

Vegan recipes.
« Reply #35 on: 20 September, 2022, 10:55:53 pm »
Nice! I often make buckwheat pancakes but the use of vinegar/lemon hasn’t occurred to me before. Must try that.

I can imagine they’re great as a vehicle for freshly picked blackberries.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #36 on: 15 November, 2022, 06:17:34 pm »
From the Audax UK Facebook page, as eaten on Moonrakers and Sunseekers…