Author Topic: Recipes  (Read 135033 times)

Re: Recipes
« Reply #75 on: 26 July, 2011, 09:50:43 pm »
Substitute Marscapone for cream in a Carbonara. It tastes even yummier and sticks to the pasta better.

riker

« Reply #76 on: 21 August, 2011, 07:12:11 pm »
Curry for Mrs Pingu

I lifted this off the web and have just made it for the 4th time, it is REALLY good!  I am not a vegetarian.

1 cup red kidney beans
2 tablespoon salted butter
1 medium onion finely chopped (or grated)
3/4 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste (you can get this in an Indian store or make your own by processing chopped ginger and garlic in a processor with a little water, or just use grated ginger and garlic)
1 medium tomato chopped
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 teaspoon cumin (jeera)
1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
1/2 teaspoon (or as per taste) red chilli powder (lal mirch)
1 teaspoon garam masala
Salt, to taste
1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
A few sprigs of fresh coriander or parsley (optional)

1. Soak the beans in 3 cups of water overnight. (I cheated this time because I wanted to eat this now, I used canned beans; if doing this, skip this step)
2. Rinse the beans and cook them in 4 cups of fresh water and salt until completely cooked and tender. 3. Using a pressure cooker to do this, as is the traditional way, makes it a lot easier. The time will depend on the beans you use. In a pressure cooker, it takes about 20-30 mins. (If using canned beans, skip this step.)
4. Melt 1 ½ tablespoon butter over medium heat in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the onions and fry until they turn golden brown.
5. Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for 2-3 mins.
6. Add the chopped tomato, tomato paste and all the spices except the garam masala. Cook till everything comes together and turns into a dark reddish brown color.
7. Add the beans, ½ cup water (use the water in which you cooked the beans), garam masala, and salt and mix well (don’t stir too much). (The amount of water you use will determine the thickness of your curry. I like mine really thick; if you would like it to be thinner, use more water.)
8. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for 15-20 mins, stirring occasionally. The beans should become one with the curry but not turn to mush.
9. Add in the remaining butter (optional), sprinkle lemon juice over, garnish with coriander. Serve hot over steamed rice.

I use tinned tom's and beans (1 cup dry beans makes about a pint and a half of cookrd beans).  I use EVOO instead of butter, and I use a large onion.  I also add a good pinch of cayenne pepper.

It really is best to make this well in advance (24 hours) so the flavours can blend together. 

Don't forget the salt.     I made it with tinned toms and tom' paste and it was not so good so leave out the paste.

riker

« Reply #77 on: 21 August, 2011, 07:14:12 pm »
PS: I only cook the onions till they start to brown.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Sweet potato brownies
« Reply #78 on: 18 September, 2011, 09:53:22 pm »
Sweet potato brownies

100g unsalted butter
200g dark chocolate, chopped
200g baked sweet potato, flesh scooped out
125g brown sugar (any sort)
2 medium eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
100g plain flour
¼ tsp baking powder
100g chopped pecans

Line an 18cm square tray-bake tin (or similar) with nonstick paper or foil, and heat the oven to 180C (160C fan-assisted)/350F/gas mark 4.

Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add 125g of the chocolate and stir until that's melted, too. In a bowl, beat the sweet potato flesh with the brown sugar until almost smooth, then mix in the butter and chocolate. Add the eggs and vanilla, beat until thick, then stir in the flour and baking powder until evenly combined. Fold in the pecans and remaining chocolate, then spoon into the tin, smooth the top and bake for about 20-25 minutes, until barely cooked but still a bit soft under the crust. Leave to cool completely in the tin before slicing.

My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #79 on: 18 September, 2011, 10:10:55 pm »
^^^^^^^^

Don't forget the sole of Afghani   :demon:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #80 on: 06 November, 2011, 09:08:14 pm »
Since I posted a pic of my pear tarte Tatin last week, I've had a couple of requests for the recipe, so I put it in a blog post:
http://worklovemisc.wordpress.com/2011/11/06/tarte-tatin/

Bon appetit!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Potato and aubergine curry
« Reply #81 on: 06 November, 2011, 09:33:48 pm »
Has anyone got any nice veggie (and maybe some meat) curry recipes? A nice dahl would be good :P

This is a Linda McCartney recipe. I make it quite often and freeze it. I love it.

Ingredients:
1-2 tsp chilli powder (depending how hot you like it)
½ tsp turmeric
2 tsp ground cumin (or to taste)
1 tsp ground coriander or to taste
1 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp tomato paste
60g vegetable oil
450g aubergines, sliced
1-2 tsp cumin seeds
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 fresh hot green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
450g canned crushed tomatoes, with juice, or peeled and chopped fresh tomatoes
4 medium potatoes, cut in cubes and steamed til tender
170g Linda McCartney vegetarian burgers, cooked and cubed (optional)
Fresh coriander for garnish

Mix the spices, salt and tomato paste with 1 tbsp of the oil in a small bowl. Spread the spice mixture over the cut sides of the aubergine slices. Cut the slices into strips. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and fry the cumin seeds until they begin to pop. Add the aubergine strips and grated ginger and turn the heat down. Cover and cook for 8 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add the chilli, tomatoes and potatoes with 3-4 tbsp water and simmer, covered tightly, for 15-20 minutes, stirring from time to time. Add the browned vegetarian burger pieces, and mix well. Serve garnished with the coriander leaves.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Aubergine & green bean curry
« Reply #82 on: 06 November, 2011, 09:36:20 pm »
And I found this in the Grauniad a while ago. I've only made it once but I like it.

I've made twice as much of the curry paste as you need for this gorgeously rich curry – partly because it's easier to blend that way, but also because it's useful to have a second batch to hand for this or another veg curry. Keep it in the fridge for up to a week, or freeze it. Serves six to eight.

For the curry paste
5-6 shallots (or 1 onion), peeled and finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
2 thumb-sized pieces ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
2 lemongrass stalks, tough outer layers removed, finely sliced
5-6 green chillies (medium-hot), deseeded and roughly chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric

For the curry
5 large aubergines
About 6 tbsp sunflower oil
300ml passata, or sieved roasted tomatoes
400ml tin coconut milk
300g french beans
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 handful chopped coriander leaves
75g cashews or almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped (optional)
Lime wedges, to serve

Put all the curry paste ingredients in a blender with a tablespoon of water; whizz to a coarse paste. If necessary, stop the motor a few times so you can scrape down the sides.

Cut each aubergine in half lengthways, cut each half into three lengthways, then halve each piece, so you end up with 12 wedges from each aubergine.

Heat two or three tablespoons of oil over a medium-high heat in a large, nonstick frying pan. Sauté the aubergine wedges in batches, until lightly browned, adding more oil as needed. As you remove each cooked batch from the pan, lay the wedges on kitchen paper to drain.

Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large, deep saucepan and add half the curry paste (refrigerate the rest for another use). Fry over medium heat, stirring constantly, for three to four minutes, then add the aubergines and stir for a minute or two until coated with the spice mixture. Add the passata and coconut milk, and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes. Add the french beans and simmer until tender – about five minutes.

Season generously, then stir in the chopped coriander. If using the nuts, scatter them over the top. Serve with lime wedges and rice.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #83 on: 06 November, 2011, 09:37:12 pm »
Veggie burger curry, Kirst?  :D

I have no idea what the exact recipe is, but I've just enjoyed a Triple Bastard Charlotte Special (this differs from a Double Bastard in that I actually have to resort to yoghurt during the eating process) which contained paneer and potato and tomatoes and stuff.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

New potato & chard curry
« Reply #84 on: 06 November, 2011, 09:37:52 pm »
Also found this in the Grauniad but haven't made it yet.

Chard and new potato curry
This hearty curry is fantastic in late summer or early autumn. It's also very good made with spinach instead of chard – just remove any tough stalks from 600-700g spinach, add the leaves once the potatoes are done, cook for a minute or two, then add the yoghurt mixture. Serves four.

About 500g swiss chard
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion, peeled, halved and finely sliced
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
3cm piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tsp garam masala
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp ground turmeric
3 cardamom pods, bashed
350g new potatoes, quartered
250g plain, full-fat yoghurt
1½ tbsp tomato puree
1 small bunch coriander, tough stalks removed, roughly chopped
1 small handful almonds, cashews or pistachios, toasted and chopped

Separate the chard leaves from the stalks. Cut the stalks into 2.5cm pieces and roughly chop the leaves.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and fry the onion until golden. Meanwhile, pound the garlic, chilli, ginger and a pinch of salt to form a paste. Add to the onion and cook, stirring, for two minutes. Tip in the remaining spices and stir for a minute or two. Add the potatoes and chard stalks, and fry for five minutes, stirring frequently so they're coated with the spice mixture. Pour in about 400ml water – enough to cover the veg – bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 10-12 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Add the chard leaves and cook until just wilted.

In a bowl, whisk the yoghurt, tomato puree and some of the hot liquid from the curry. Remove the curry from the heat, stir in the yoghurt mixture, return to the heat and warm through very gently. Stir in most of the coriander. Taste, season if needed, scatter over the remaining coriander and the toasted nuts, and serve with rice and naan or chapatis.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #85 on: 06 November, 2011, 09:38:33 pm »
Veggie burger curry, Kirst?  :D
I never put the burgers in it. I'm not weird.

« Reply #86 on: 20 December, 2011, 10:25:24 pm »
Baileys and white chocolate cheesecake.

Gently melt 4oz of butter in a saucepan whilst battering a packet of milk choc digestives into dust. Once melted, stir the broken biscuits into the butter and then pour into a 10 inch cake tin. Smooth with the end of a spoon. Put into the fridge.

Beat 2x250g of Phili soft cheese until soft and then fold in 3 oz of icing sugar. Pour a large glass of Baileys into the cheese mixture and gently mix (it'll be mixed more later). Pour yourself another glass and drink.

Melt around 2 or 3 oz of white choc whilst eating the rest of the bar.

Whip a tub of cream until stiff, pour in the cheese/ sugar/ Baileys mix and mix gently. Pour in the molten choccy and keep stirring for a minute or two until it's all mixed.

Pour the cheese/ cream etc mix over the digestive base and smooth it all down.

Chill for a few hours whilst finishing off the Baileys and chocolate.

Enjoy.

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #87 on: 24 December, 2011, 07:30:56 pm »
Chicken Paella - relatively simple but very tasty!

Serves 4; add crusty bread if really hungry / greedy.

Ingredients
4 chicken thighs and 4 chicken legs, skin on
olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
garlic
1 tsp turmeric
115g chorizo suasage, thickly sliced and each slice halved
225g arborio or paella rice
600ml chicken stock
1 glass wine (whichever sort you prefer to drink)
large tin of chopped tomartoes
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
vegetables to taste / to hand(suggestion: four large cabbage leaves, shredded, two carrots sliced, 100g frozen peas)
black pepper
salt to taste
bay leaves
mixed herbs
pinch of tarragon

Large oven proof casserole with a close-fitting lid (e.g. Le Cruset) that can also be used on top of the stove; otherwise do the stove-top part in a sperate paan and transfer to a casserole with a lid.

Method:
1. Heat oil and brown chicken pieces on all sides; generally best to do half at a time; takes around 10 mins per batch. Remove to one side.

2. Fly onion and garlic for 5+ mins in the oil and juices left in the pan until just begining to brown.

3. Now comes the 'bucket chemistry' bit: add all the other ingredients except the chicken pieces and mix well, then add the chicken pieces. Bring to the boil.

4. Transfer to oven pre-heated to 180 deg C / 350 deg F / gas mark 4 and cook for 35 mins. Halw way through the cooking time, remove from oven and stir well.

The liquids should mostly be absorbed by the rice so you won't need soup bowls; rimmed plates are recommended.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #88 on: 30 December, 2011, 08:09:59 pm »
Since I posted a pic of my pear tarte Tatin last week, I've had a couple of requests for the recipe, so I put it in a blog post:
http://worklovemisc.wordpress.com/2011/11/06/tarte-tatin/

Bon appetit!

d.

Finally made it tonight, with apples

IMAG0272 by The Pingus, on Flickr
:P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #89 on: 14 January, 2012, 07:44:33 pm »
Aubergines in a north-south sauce

4 tablespoons olive or rapeseed oil
1/8 teaspoon ground asafoetida
1/2 teaspoon skinned urad dal or yellow split peas
1/2 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji) if available
1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
675g/1 1/2 lb aubergine cut into 2/5cm/1" chunks
2 medium tomatoes, grated
250ml/8fl oz chicken stock or water
1 teaspoon salt
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Pour the oil into a very large frying pan  and set over a medium-high heat. When hot, put in the asafoetida and the urad dal. As soon as the dal turns a shade darker, add the mustard, cumin, nigella and fennel seeds in that order. When the mustard seeds start to pop, add the onion. Stir and fry for 1 minute. Add the garlic and the aubergines. Stir and fry for 4/5 minutes or until the onions are lightly browned.

Add the tomatoes, stock, salt and cayenne pepper. Stir to mix, and bring to the boil. Cover, lower the heat and cook gently for about 20 minutes, or until the aubergines are tender, stirring now and then.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #90 on: 02 February, 2012, 07:11:12 pm »
A simple one (for blokes who can't cook):

BIGGSY'S TUNA PASTA, to serve 4 people, or 3 cyclists:

INGREDIENTS

1 small/medium onion.
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes.
1 200g tin tuna.
6 oz or 170g dry fusli pasta.
Tomato puree.
Herbs with extra basil.
Black pepper or tabasco sauce.
Strong cheddar cheese.

METHOD

Chop and fry the onions with a little oil until soft.
Add tomato, a dollop of puree and flavouring to taste.
When hot, add drained tuna and heat thoroughly.
Stir in grated cheese.
Cook and drain pasta.
Mix pasta with the rest and heat thoroughly.
Serve with bread and butter.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #91 on: 02 February, 2012, 09:16:44 pm »
That's student pasta, that is.

« Reply #92 on: 03 February, 2012, 08:57:47 am »
It's even better if you add garlic and olives and make the sauce a little ahead to get the flavours through
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Green lentils with green beans and fresh coriander (also green)
« Reply #93 on: 04 February, 2012, 01:02:33 pm »
Green lentils with green beans and fresh coriander
Serves 4-6

250g/9oz green lentils
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
115g/4oz green beans, cut into 2cm/3/4" segments
60g/2oz finely chopped fresh coriander
3 tablespoons olive oil or rapeseed oil
1/8 teaspoon ground asafoetida
1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1 medium shallot, peeled and sliced into fine slivers
lemon wedges (optional)

Put the lentils into a medium saucepan with 950ml/34 fl oz water and bring to the boil. Cover partially, lower the heat and simmer very gently for 20 minutes. Add the salt, cayenne pepper, green beans and coriander. Stir to mix, bring back to the boil, cover partially and simmer very gently for a further 20 minutes. Turn off the heat.

Pour the oil into a small frying pan and set over a medium high heat. When hot, put in the asafoetida and cumin. Let the seeds sizzle for 10 seconds. Add the shallot. Stir and fry over a medium heat until it turns reddish. Pour the entire contents of the frying pan into the pan with the lentils. Stir to mix. Serve with lemon wedges if desired.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #94 on: 08 February, 2012, 03:47:12 pm »
Finally made it tonight, with apples

Only just caught up with this thread... nice one, looks good!  :thumbsup:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Spinach with black-eyed beans and also pilau rice
« Reply #95 on: 26 February, 2012, 07:44:12 pm »
Spinach with black-eyed beans - recipe says serves 4 but I think more like 3

3 tbsp vegetable oil
rounded 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
2-4 dried red chillies
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped or grated to a paste
14 fresh curry leaves
250g whole leaf spinach, shredded, or baby leaf spinach, well washed
salt, to taste
lots of freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp ground coriander
1 rounded tsp ground cumin
400g can of black-eyed beans, drained well and rinsed
1 1/2 - 2 tsp tamarind paste (I tried three or four places but found it in the Bismillah shop on Nicolson Square)
good handful of roasted salted peanuts

Heat the oil in a non-stick saucepan. Add the mustard, fenugreek seeds and chillies. Once the mustard seeds have spluttered, add the garlic and curry leaves and cook gently until the garlic is just starting to turn golden. Add the spinach, seasoning and a splash of water, mix well and cover. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the spinach is well wilted, stirring occasionally. Add the coriander and cumin, half the black-eyed beans and a splash of water. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes. Take out one-third of the mix and blend to a fine puree. Return to the pan with the remaining beans. Stir in the tamarind paste and peanuts. Boil off any excess water until you are left with a thick creamy mass. Taste, adjust the seasoning, add more tamarind paste if you want more tang, and serve.

Pilau rice - serves 4

220g basmati rice, well washed
2 good tbsp ghee, or 1 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 rounded tsp cumin seeds
10cm cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
4 green cardomom pods
4 cloves
1 smallish onion, sliced
1/2 tsp turmeric
salt, to taste

Tip the rice into a large bowl, cover with water and leave to soak. Heat the ghee in a saucepan. Add the cumin, coriander, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, cloves, and cardamom and allow to sizzle for 10-15 seconds or until the cumin is aromatic. Add the onion and cook until it's turning golden at the edges.

Add the drained rice, turmeric and salt and cook for a minute, stirring. Add 400ml water, taste the water and adjust for salt. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to its lowest setting and cook undisturbed for 12-13 minutes. Check a grain -0 it should be cooked. Turn off the heat and serve when you are ready to eat.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #96 on: 08 March, 2012, 07:03:57 pm »
Sweet & sour butternut squash

Serves 4-5

3 tablespoons mustard or olive oil
generous pinch of ground asafoetida
1/2 teaspoon whole brown or yellow mustard seeds
560g/1lb 4 oz peeled & seeded butternut squash or pumpkin cut into 1" chunks
3/4-1 tsp salt
1.5 tsp caster sugar
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp natural yoghurt
2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped

Pour the oil into a frying pan and set over a medium heat. When hot, put in the asafoetida and mustard seeds. As soon as the seeds start to pop (just seconds), put in the squash. Stir and fry for about 3 minutes or until the pieces just start to brown. Add 50ml/2 fl oz water, cover, lower the heat and cook for about 10 minutes or until the squash is tender. Put in the salt, sugar, cayenne pepper and yoghurt. Stir and cook, uncovered, over a medium heat until the yoghurt is no longer visible. Add the fresh coriander and stir.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #97 on: 26 March, 2012, 09:06:52 pm »
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Panchmael dhal (five lentils mix)
« Reply #98 on: 18 April, 2012, 08:01:49 pm »
As a rule, I'm not a fan of dhal, but this one is delicious.

Panchmael daal (five lentils mix)

2 heaped tablespoons split green lentils/moong dal
2 heaped tablespoons split yellow lentils/toor dal
2 heaped tablespoons split gram lentils/chana dal
2 heaped tablespoons split and husked black lentils/urad dal
2 tablespoons split red lentils/masoor dal
1.5 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 tablespoons ghee
1 large onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground garam masala
1 tomato, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
squeeze of lemon juice

Tadka
1 tablespoon ghee
1 dried red chilli
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
4 cloves
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

Mix all the lentils together, wash under running water. Leave to soak in cold water to cover for about 20 minutes.

Put the lentils in a saucepan with 600ml/1 pint water, 1 tsp salt and half the turmeric. Bring to the boil, skimming off the white scum from the surface as necessary. Cover and simmer on a low heat from 20-25 minutes or until all the lentils (except the chana dal) are very soft and broken down.

Meanwhile heat the ghee in a frying pan and whe hot, add the onion and cook until golden brown. Add the remaining salt and turmeric, the chilli powder and garam masala and sauté for a minute, then add the tomato and cook until soft.

Pour the onion and tomato mixture over the lentils and bring to the boil. If the lentils begin to thicken too much, add some boiling water and keep stirring to ensure that they don't stick to the pan. Fiish with the fresh coriander and lemon juice. Remove from the heat and keep hot.

For the tempering, heat the ghee in a large ladle or small saucepan until smoking. Add the whole red chilli, cumin seeds, cloves and garlic in that order and in quick succession. As the garlic begins to turn golden, pour the contents of the ladle over the lentils and cover the pan with a lid. Leave covered for 2 minutes to allow the smoke and flavours to be absorbed by the lentils. Stir well and serve immediately.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #99 on: 01 May, 2012, 09:28:49 am »
Paprika Chicken (Slimming World zero syns recipe)

Chicken thighs (allow 2 per person)
Smoked Pimenton (sweet if you don't like spicy, Hot if you do)
Garlic (about 1 clove per 4 thighs)

Put oven on to pre-heat at 200C

Start by removing all the skin and fat from the thighs
Place skinned thighs in a bowl, sprinkle over the pimenton and garlic (chopped)
Cover with cling film and allow to marinate for between 2 and 4 hours.
Place in a roasting dish, cover tightly with tin foil and place in oven
Cook for 30 minutes, remove foil and place back in over to brown for 5-10 minutes.

Serve with lots of veg or salad, I did SW roast potatoes as well as carrot glazed with Balsamic.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State