Author Topic: DIYs that go foreign.  (Read 2173 times)

JJ

DIYs that go foreign.
« on: 09 June, 2009, 12:53:26 pm »
I have a hankering to plot a 600 that starts in Dieppe and returns to use the ferry as a sleep stop after 400-ish, leaving a 200K ride home.  Of course, being out of time at 400k will have rather terminal consequences for the ride.

It may never happen anyway, but does anyone know if that's allowable as a DIY, and would that come under Andrew Uttley?

Weirdy Biker

Re: DIYs that go foreign.
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2009, 01:02:44 pm »
You'd only be able to do this as two DIYs.  One 400 and one 200.

You can enter through any DIY organiser.  There is a convention that you enter with the DIY organiser whose patch covers the most of the route.  In this case, it doesn't apply as there is no overseas DIY organiser and so you can arrange with any of them.

« Reply #2 on: 09 June, 2009, 01:06:30 pm »

Not certain that's right, assuming the entire 600 can be completed within 40hrs including the crossing. After all, a couple of other 600s have ferry crossings, albeit of shorter duration.

I think I'd seek clarification from Sheila (who invented DIYs) as to whether it's appropriate to extent the concept across the channel.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2009, 01:33:14 pm »
I think I'd seek clarification from Sheila (who invented DIYs) as to whether it's appropriate to extent the concept across the channel.
Trafalgar-Trafalgar perm includes x-channel...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2009, 01:43:49 pm »

You can enter through any DIY organiser.  There is a convention that you enter with the DIY organiser whose patch covers the most of the route.  In this case, it doesn't apply as there is no overseas DIY organiser and so you can arrange with any of them.

Isn't the convention that you use the DIY organiser who covers where you live not where you ride ? The assumption being you'll ride on your own patch.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #5 on: 09 June, 2009, 02:01:45 pm »

Not certain that's right, assuming the entire 600 can be completed within 40hrs including the crossing. After all, a couple of other 600s have ferry crossings, albeit of shorter duration.

Sorry, should have been clearer.  In principle you can do it as a 600.  In practice you need to do it as a 400+200 (I based comment on the OP's own note about time limits).

I recall overseas DIYs have been discussed and agreed in the past.  Can't find the relevant bit of information though.

« Reply #6 on: 09 June, 2009, 02:05:50 pm »
The only overseas DIY I have done was when Sheila was the only organiser for DIYs. It was the same as any other, send her the controls for checking in Autoroute. Ride. Send her the completed brevet card and receipts.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #7 on: 09 June, 2009, 02:12:51 pm »
Isn't the convention that you use the DIY organiser who covers where you live not where you ride ? The assumption being you'll ride on your own patch.

If it is, I've been doing the wrong thing for the past 2 years.  I've been sending Scotland based entries to Lucy when they should have gone to my local organiser.  Lucy may have been too polite to object.

That said, in reality it makes no difference as there is no hard and fast rule that I'm aware of being communicated to members (e.g. it isn't in the DIY guide on the AUK site).

JJ

« Reply #8 on: 09 June, 2009, 02:31:07 pm »
I think it's do-able, treating the ferry as a stop by carefully chosing start times It either leaves me a bit tight in France of in England, but that's the fun.

I'd better drop Sheila a mail.

megajoules expenditure

« Reply #9 on: 09 June, 2009, 07:01:47 pm »
It seems to work equally well both ways.Some of my DIY'ers send to me because they live in my area but there are a few that send to me if they intend to ride a DIY in my area.Either is fine with the DIY team.Just so long as just one of us doesn't end up with all the work :o

Cheers and happy DIY'ing 8)

PS JJ I think what you're proposing sounds fine.As others have said there are already routes that include a ferry crossing. Just tell the driver to get a move on ::-)

If it is, I've been doing the wrong thing for the past 2 years.  I've been sending Scotland based entries to Lucy when they should have gone to my local organiser.  Lucy may have been too polite to object.

That said, in reality it makes no difference as there is no hard and fast rule that I'm aware of being communicated to members (e.g. it isn't in the DIY guide on the AUK site).

JJ

« Reply #10 on: 09 June, 2009, 10:10:49 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. I'm really taken with the project.  I've already started to have doubts about using the Dieppe crossing, though.  A 4 hour crossing + about an hour of margin effectively means a 5 hour stop in the middle of a 600, which is a tall order.  I could come back via Boulogne. OTOH I'd get a good sleep.

<Goes back to pile of old envelopes and sucks blunt pencil>

Martin

« Reply #11 on: 09 June, 2009, 10:14:21 pm »
I've had commuication sort of round this subject re add-on rides; insurance may be a problem; awaiting clarification,

I've done an entirely French DIY as an AUK DIY no problem.