Author Topic: android or chrome os offline map for editing gpx routes  (Read 1645 times)

android or chrome os offline map for editing gpx routes
« on: 21 August, 2016, 06:32:06 am »
As per title.

I am happy to initially create a rough route/suggestion online - could do it quickly in a pub/cafe stop.

But i then tweak the gpx points OFFline on a digital map and then do some further tweaking with an offline text editor.

System works fine for me. And allows me to minimise the waypoints - i use point to point navigation on the etrex for worked out routes rather than getting my etrex to trouble itself with navigating.

I currently when at home use basecamp which isvof course OFFline - works fine but i won't be using windows on the road and am seriously considering banishing it from my life full stop in any case.

So i need something like basecamp i can run on a chromebook or an android tablet.

Is there anything?

I stress that i will only be using it for tweaking, it doesn't need to generate routes itself. Will usually be using it just to tweak points at junctions.

Initial routes will be created/gpx files generated using cyclestreets or cycletravel.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: android or chrome os offline map for editing gpx routes
« Reply #1 on: 23 August, 2016, 12:11:02 pm »
Bump.  Surely some of you GPS geeky peeps can help Fhills here?

Have a go with OsmAnd, meanwhile. It's got some GPX editing functionality, though I dont know what exactly as I only use it as a map and emergency auto-router.  It's a very good app to have for offline OSM maps anyway.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

rr

« Reply #2 on: 23 August, 2016, 01:18:12 pm »
Veiwranger

« Reply #3 on: 23 August, 2016, 05:58:59 pm »
Many thanks for the kind bump bigsy.

Will check out osmand plus viewranger though had the idea that i already had.

They really will allow route and point manipulation offline?

In the free versions or is this something that you possibly have to pay for?

Would be willing to do if it worked.

« Reply #4 on: 23 August, 2016, 06:46:13 pm »
Just tried osmand and viewranger offline.

Although i managed to import the gpx, i could see no way of manipulating it.

Any of the fans of either of these apps able to guide me through what I want to do with them?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 23 August, 2016, 07:55:36 pm »
In OSMAnd you need the "Distance calculator and planning tool" plugin.

This lets you measure distances by tapping a series of points on the map.  You can then save the resulting line as a GPX Route.  I'm not sure about editing.