Author Topic: FNRTTC  (Read 36411 times)

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
Re: FNRTTC
« Reply #150 on: 22 April, 2008, 10:15:18 am »
I think I do have longish legs, I can't buy trousers or jeans unless they are in the 'tall' section of whatever high street shop.

The 59 frame I rode felt really wrong, like the bars were miles away.

Was that a road bike with drop bars? Your current bike has a very upright position so a change to drops is going to take some getting used to.

Mrs JT's first road bike was a Trek Pilot 1.2 which has drop bars but the frame geometry means that the bars are quite high and the ride position is not too stretched. When she got her Lemond Etape which has a more traditional racing position, she still felt a little stretched out. Now that she's used to it, it feels normal.

Actually the Trek will take mudguards and a rack and would make a very nice commuter as well as being fast and light enough for day rides (and night rides of course).

a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #151 on: 22 April, 2008, 10:24:50 am »
No, it was the size up from the bike I have now, the Globe, so same upright position.

Maybe I'll keep an eye out for a secondhand Trek Pilot 1.2 then.

Drops are narrower, thus will take up less room in an already crowded flat...I'll justify this to myself somehow, damnit!

Martin

« Reply #152 on: 17 May, 2008, 04:26:42 pm »
before the memories and Jpegs have even been and gone;

June I assume is Southend? (will be in La Belle France)

July; a tricky weekend, is it to be the FNRTTC or SNRTTC?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #153 on: 17 May, 2008, 08:53:19 pm »
before the memories and Jpegs have even been and gone;

June I assume is Southend? (will be in La Belle France)

July; a tricky weekend, is it to be the FNRTTC or SNRTTC?

I don't know if Simon L is doing just the FNRttC or both that and the Dun Run.  There's a message in t'other place to the effect that "this is for you if the Dun Run seems a bit hard".  I expect he'll do both; once you've had one sleepless night, the next one is probably easier since you *will* have slept in the day.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Dave

« Reply #154 on: 17 May, 2008, 09:06:58 pm »
He's just posted this about the 18 July ride over there:

for those who don't fancy the hurly-burly boy stuff of the Dunwich Dynamo - this will be a ride for those of a genteel disposition. Breakfast may be a little classier than usual.

With luck the average  bicycle weight will be much diminished.

Expressions of interest would be greatly appreciated.

Martin

« Reply #155 on: 17 May, 2008, 09:13:44 pm »
He's just posted this about the 18 July ride over there:

for those who don't fancy the hurly-burly boy stuff of the Dunwich Dynamo - this will be a ride for those of a genteel disposition. Breakfast may be a little classier than usual.

With luck the average  bicycle weight will be much diminished.

Expressions of interest would be greatly appreciated.

OK it's decided, just the Dun Run for me (riding back to Manningtree); hopefully we can persuade Mr L3 out too. I understand from SL3 all the FNRTTCs are to be to either Southend or Brighton now; that's a shame I was so looking forward to a Birling Gap one;

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #156 on: 27 May, 2021, 09:02:08 am »
I was looking for a generic FNRttC thread and this seems to be it.

My daughter, who teaches in Rochester, phoned me this morning as she was walking from the station and, inter alia, told me that our 4am café stop en route to Whitstable is currently being demolished.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #157 on: 27 May, 2021, 10:40:14 am »
I was looking for a generic FNRttC thread and this seems to be it.

My daughter, who teaches in Rochester, phoned me this morning as she was walking from the station and, inter alia, told me that our 4am café stop en route to Whitstable is currently being demolished.

That's okay, we've been using a perfectly good church hall on that route for years.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #158 on: 27 May, 2021, 05:38:30 pm »

That's okay, we've been using a perfectly good church hall on that route for years.

and great cakes courtesy of Mrs and Mr Decker, if I recall. Definitely a ride of two halves - grim to Gravesend, glorious afterwards (IMO).
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #159 on: 27 May, 2021, 05:44:00 pm »
Thanks for the thread resurrection.  I've just re-read it from the start and it's brought back happy memories of the old rides and jollity we used to have.

I can clearly remember much of that ride.

« Reply #160 on: 27 May, 2021, 05:47:27 pm »
Ha!
And when I first suggested it to him, His Leggship stated that Whitstable wasn't a suitable destination for a FNRttC ride.
Last I heard, he was referring to it as 'The Queen of the FNRttC rides'
Sgt Pluck, OTP, and myself scouted that ride, found the original caterers etc  :smug:

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #161 on: 29 May, 2021, 04:24:59 pm »
Ha!
And when I first suggested it to him, His Leggship stated that Whitstable wasn't a suitable destination for a FNRttC ride.
Sgt Pluck, OTP, and myself scouted that ride, found the original caterers etc  :smug:
Thanks for doing that hard work. It was so, so, worth it! Next installment is on June 25th...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #162 on: 29 May, 2021, 05:59:10 pm »
Ha!
Is that when you got snapped by the Streetview car?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #163 on: 29 May, 2021, 06:17:27 pm »
Ha!
Is that when you got snapped by the Streetview car?
Nope. That was just a midweek jape with Simon, Ade and myself. Well after Pluck and myself had established the credentials.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.3460753,0.9888939,3a,90y,34.23h,80.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgkczbQmKaQyFZGOTOLFtiQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

« Reply #164 on: 02 June, 2021, 01:39:37 pm »
My brief appearance on streetview is no more :(

I suspect it was the blurred middle finger wot did it.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #165 on: 08 June, 2021, 10:10:17 pm »
I was wrong about the demolition. My daughter informed me that it was a different place.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #166 on: 09 June, 2021, 06:46:22 am »
I was wrong about the demolition. My daughter informed me that it was a different place.
I think the cafe she was referring to, is the Canal Cafe, along Canal Road, just around t’corner from station. I think it’s been cordoned off as a dangerous structure, after the corner fell away, helped by a machine..