Author Topic: Budget flashgun recommendations (for Nikon dSLRs)  (Read 2137 times)

ABlipInContinuity

Budget flashgun recommendations (for Nikon dSLRs)
« on: 16 December, 2008, 03:43:20 pm »
I'm looking for recommendations please.

I found this for just over £30
Jessops 300AFD

But it gets heavily criticised for uneven light distribution and giving skin tones a green hue. Has anyone got one?

I'm suspecting there isn't much other choice at the price range. The only critical feature I'm looking for is the ability to tilt the head and bounce the flash.

Re: Budget flashgun recommendations (for Nikon dSLRs)
« Reply #1 on: 18 December, 2008, 08:06:50 am »
Last time I used a flashgun I borrowed a mates vivitar 283 for a mine trip in snowdonia.  They're cheap as chips on ebay, and pretty powerful.  On the downside no connectivity with the camera apart from triggering it.  Got on surprisingly well just leaving the camera on manual and using the ISO/aperture to control the exposure.

Pics here;

Incompatible Browser | Facebook

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #2 on: 21 December, 2008, 10:16:49 am »
Something like
Sunpak Auto 260 electronic flashgun (with filter kit) on eBay, also Flash Units, Flash Units Accessories, Film Camera Accessories, Photography (end time  29-Dec-08 21:04:00 GMT)|66:3|65:12|39:1|240:1318

will probably go for around a tenner. You'll rely on the gun to meter the light, but you can adjust exposure with the camera aperture.

Just need to ensure the trigger voltage is compatible with your camera - which should be easy with a bit of googling.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3 on: 22 December, 2008, 10:33:11 am »
I got one of these for my E-410 from Currys for £20.  I think they stock a similar one for Nikons.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #4 on: 22 December, 2008, 10:56:17 am »
it's worth trying to get one with a bounce head, if you can. 

Check ebay, there are a couple of hong kong based sellers who can be good value for non-nikon branded stuff.  A search on somewhere like DPreview or fred miranda will normally tell you if it's compatible or not.

LEE

« Reply #5 on: 22 December, 2008, 11:46:37 am »
Last time I used a flashgun I borrowed a mates vivitar 283 for a mine trip in snowdonia.  They're cheap as chips on ebay, and pretty powerful.  On the downside no connectivity with the camera apart from triggering it.  Got on surprisingly well just leaving the camera on manual and using the ISO/aperture to control the exposure.

Pics here;

Incompatible Browser | Facebook

The Vivitar 283 is just about the best non-TTL flash ever made imho. It's in-built sensor does a good job on exposure and it has a handy illuminated aperture/ISO calculator.

Nice if you can get the bounce-card holder and remote sensor accessories as well.

I still use mine after 25 years. 

As Bomber says, some good bargains to be had on ebay.