Author Topic: Fuji X Pro-1  (Read 10775 times)

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Fuji X Pro-1
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2012, 03:34:55 pm »
Interesting, I wonder if it will be Nikon F mount like the Fujifilm S3 Pro.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2012, 06:22:32 pm »
Ooh looks lovely.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2012, 06:58:45 pm »
Interesting, I wonder if it will be Nikon F mount like the Fujifilm S3 Pro.

Sadly apparently not.  Were it an EVIL camera that I could use F mount lenses on, I'd sell my grandmother for one.

Still, it looks rather nice, doesn't it?  It's got the same lovely retro look to my X10, but with an APS-C sensor anna proper viewfinder.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2012, 09:41:40 pm »
Oooh!
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 08 January, 2012, 11:10:29 am »
Slightly larger than the X100.  There is also a mention of a lens adaptor for Leica glass.

« Reply #6 on: 09 January, 2012, 09:58:39 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4gzREBGKUFI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/4gzREBGKUFI&rel=1</a>

Pretty..

« Reply #7 on: 09 January, 2012, 10:01:28 pm »
Sadly apparently not.  Were it an EVIL camera that I could use F mount lenses on, I'd sell my grandmother for one.

If it took Leica M mount lenses I'd buy her if she came with one!

« Reply #8 on: 12 January, 2012, 12:04:02 am »

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 12 January, 2012, 08:52:01 am »
A Leica M-mount adapter is also on the way.

Oh my.  This camera is going to sell like hot hash cakes.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 12 January, 2012, 10:39:30 am »
*weak at the knees* :-\
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 03 February, 2012, 05:12:24 pm »
Certainly eye wateringly pricey, starting at ~£1980.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/02/Fujifilm_X-Pro1_price

« Reply #12 on: 12 August, 2012, 10:01:25 am »
A cyclists review of the X Pro-1.  He just says he likes it, but some nice pics with some serious facial hair in a few of them  :D

http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2012/07/guest-review-kevin-sparrow-discusses-the-fuji-x-pro1-and-cycling/

« Reply #13 on: 12 August, 2012, 10:51:02 pm »
A cyclists review of the X Pro-1.  He just says he likes it, but some nice pics with some serious facial hair in a few of them  :D

http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2012/07/guest-review-kevin-sparrow-discusses-the-fuji-x-pro1-and-cycling/

Clicked on this page, AVAST said it blocked a trojan.

Infection Details
URL:   prollyisnotprobably.com/|{gzip}
Process:   C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox...
Infection:   JS:Redirector-MA [Trj]

« Reply #14 on: 12 August, 2012, 10:55:47 pm »
Eeek!  I didn't get any warnings, using Firefox on a Mac.

« Reply #15 on: 26 August, 2012, 10:13:38 pm »
Having now had a go on one (there's a Magnum photographer in the village..) I think I'm going to flog my DSLR kit and get one...

« Reply #16 on: 26 August, 2012, 11:29:43 pm »
I was at a wedding today and noticed the photographer was using a couple of X pro 1s

« Reply #17 on: 27 August, 2012, 07:36:47 am »
They must be ideal - the colour rendition, skin tones and, in particular, the superb dynamic range control are streets ahead of anything Nikon makes.  Hell, there's even an NPH emulation mode..

« Reply #18 on: 27 August, 2012, 10:53:50 am »
Interesting - as the Fujifilm S5 Pro (and earlier) SLR's strong point was/is supposed to be skin tones.  I guess mainly due to the sensor/raw data extraction?

ed_o_brain

« Reply #19 on: 27 August, 2012, 05:37:17 pm »
Reading into some of the reviews, I think the X Pro-1 needs a bit of work before I could/would consider it as a viable replacement for the dSLR, which is a pity.

Slow AF and clumsy MF are real negatives for me in my style of shooting. The camera's RAW format isn't too well supported either due to the unconventional sensor so I'd want to play about with some RAW files.

« Reply #20 on: 27 August, 2012, 06:52:59 pm »
I don't view it as a replacement or a Dslr, even though it's going to be.  It seems to be better at some things and worse at others. 

For news and sports nothing will touch an SLR for capturing fleeting dynamic moments, but for portraits, social photography, travel stuff, in other words all the things I tend to do, I think the Fuji is going to do a better job. Image quality is very important for me and the Fuji seems to match the resolution of full frame DSLRs while giving the quality of colour rendition and pleasing look of a Leica.  That's no mean feat.  Add very clever on-the-fly dynamic range adjustment and superb in-camera Jpeg conversion and a lot of the perceived negatives disappear.

The focusing, at least with the 35 1.4 is absolutely fine (I think the latest firmware has improved things since early review samples).  This is, however, an issue for me and I wish it would focus like a D4, but you can't have everything.

The big plus is it's a lot smaller than a D300 and 17-55, which is impracticably big either on a bike or when carrying ten tons of baby crap around.  The old adage that the best camera is the one you have with you comes into play for me.

The one real downside is a 300-ish shot battery life, so the one I just ordered will come with a spare battery..

ed_o_brain

« Reply #21 on: 27 August, 2012, 08:12:35 pm »
Guess I'm a smidge jealous really!
I'd perhaps trade it for the D200 + 18-105* I take most places with me .. but I couldn't really afford/justify the cash difference.

And Judging by the price, I'd expect either to have very good AF or MF .. there still seems to be a lot of doubt about the AF ability with the longer 60mm lens which is an important focal length, for me personally.

*Might go back to carrying my D40 around (instead of selling it) with the 35mm prime when I've found the cash to send it off for a sensor clean**
**I know I should do it myself, but I just don't have time.

« Reply #22 on: 27 August, 2012, 11:43:42 pm »
http://www.seriouscompacts.com/f38/meet-fuji-x-e1-12031/

A cheaper version, and there are rumours of a more advanced/expensive version as well. http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/vendors/fuji/

Had a fondle of an X100 in John Lewis recently, marked down as that's apparently due for replacement as well.

« Reply #23 on: 28 August, 2012, 07:44:22 am »
I've read the rumours about a more expensive one.  I have also heard that a major firmware upgrade is on the way for the one.  We'll have to wait for Photokina I guess.  With a wedding looming in September, ICBA to wait and see..

It will be a bummer if the cheaper one focusses faster though..

« Reply #24 on: 31 August, 2012, 03:57:10 pm »
First impressions..

A little quirky, but handles wonderfully and has image quality to die for..

More to follow but here are a few tasters with the 35 mm f1.4

All straight out of the camera, jpegs in either Velvia or Provia mode.  The couple of tourists were taken from the hip and had no idea I had taken a shot of them.