Author Topic: 'flu jab'  (Read 35621 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: 'flu jab'
« Reply #275 on: 19 October, 2020, 05:43:32 pm »
The door intercom protocol has been stepped up from "press the button and the receptionist will press their button" to an inaudible conversation about who you are, why you're there and whether you have any COVID-19 symptoms before they'll allow entry.  Not sure how barakta would cope.

I tried to go round the back like the previous protocol, had inaudible intercom discussion which I understood as "go to front".

Pressed front and couldn't understand so I said my name and that I was deaf and couldn't hear. They buzzed me in and then smiled and pointed at seats when I arrived - I was expected.

But yeah, intercoms not amazing, but I figure I am lucky I can just shout "I'm deaf, I can hear your voice but no words" and they let me in usually.

Deaf people who don't speak usually just keep buzzing till they're let in or someone comes out to shout at them.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #276 on: 19 October, 2020, 06:08:21 pm »
The door intercom protocol has been stepped up from "press the button and the receptionist will press their button" to an inaudible conversation about who you are, why you're there and whether you have any COVID-19 symptoms before they'll allow entry.  Not sure how barakta would cope.

In ours you're supposed to phone the receptionist and state your business.  Last week this led to a) their Infernal Machine hanging up immediately and b) pressing divers numbers before being put on hold for ten minutes.  Fortunately the Nice Receptionist* spotted me and let me in.

* other receptionists are available.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #277 on: 19 October, 2020, 07:15:23 pm »
[1] Well it was supposed to be a nurse.  Given what they were wearing it could have been a ballet dancer on day release from Cryptanalysis 101 for all I know.

Could be anyone that's managed to pass the "how to jab people with a needle and inject vaccine into muscle" course.
Mind the government decided that anyone without professional registration would be covered against liability by regulation of gov, it's for such things.

Was probably the triage receptionist  :P

« Reply #278 on: 21 October, 2020, 05:16:03 pm »
Got my call-up and went to the mass vacc centre.  About a dozen personnel and 4 clients.  The jabber was clearly a professional with an excellent car-side manner though. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #279 on: 06 November, 2020, 10:31:34 am »
Popped along to docs' surgery/canolfan iechyd yesterday so Nurse Love (her real name) could jab me. All very slick Covid safety protocols. In and out in 45 seconds. Followed by a solitary walk on a deserted Harlech beach 8)

But boy does my arm ache :'( Have had a few flu jabs, with ne'er a tickle before.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #280 on: 06 November, 2020, 10:45:10 am »
No supply of 'flu jabs around here.  May have to get one through work.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #281 on: 06 November, 2020, 10:48:28 am »
Popped along to docs' surgery/canolfan iechyd yesterday so Nurse Love (her real name) could jab me. All very slick Covid safety protocols. In and out in 45 seconds. Followed by a solitary walk on a deserted Harlech beach 8)

But boy does my arm ache :'( Have had a few flu jabs, with ne'er a tickle before.
Aye my arm weighed a tonne after mine, mind it's into a muscle so not a huge surprize, a redeployed dentist did mine, theyre more into injecting local anaesthetics so...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #282 on: 09 November, 2020, 10:44:31 am »
Have one booked through work, which means I have to go into London to have it.  Would it be unwise to cycle the 50 miles home afterwards?

Perfectly do-able IME.

It was.  Although I was slower than usual.  That might have been due to the cold and more red lights than usual which helped the cold to get into my legs.  Will be the last commute this year, I should think.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #283 on: 09 November, 2020, 12:20:19 pm »
Still none round here.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #284 on: 09 November, 2020, 12:37:03 pm »
How many people here get the 'flu jab'?
What effect does it have on you?  Makes me slightly light-headed and feverish?
Had mine on Friday (6th Nov). No side effects at the moment. :thumbsup:

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #285 on: 09 November, 2020, 12:56:10 pm »
I'm in for lots of stabbing tomorrow at the GP surgery:  flu jab, INR finger-pricker test and then 5 different bloods for the cancer/urology consultant online* appt next week (6 years on so should be OK)

Good news is that I don't have to drive about 28 miles each way to then struggle to find a car park space at the hospital in Coventry.

« Reply #286 on: 10 November, 2020, 06:28:33 pm »
I was treated to the Pneumococcal vaccination yesterday as I passed the 65 milestone this summer.
Despite the assurances on various websites I've got a very sore arm, and feel somewhat yuk - probably due to what they describe as a 'slight temperature elevation'
Mrs M claims I'm even more short tempered than usual.
Still, I enjoyed the bike ride to and from the doctors.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #287 on: 10 November, 2020, 07:09:12 pm »
Still none round here.
Of course, that afternoon I get a call from the surgery inviting me for a flu jab on Friday.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #288 on: 10 November, 2020, 07:47:05 pm »
I'm in for lots of stabbing tomorrow at the GP surgery:  flu jab, INR finger-pricker test and then 5 different bloods for the cancer/urology consultant online* appt next week (6 years on so should be OK)

Good news is that I don't have to drive about 28 miles each way to then struggle to find a car park space at the hospital in Coventry.

And the good news is that while I was there I managed to arrange an appointment for my wife to have her flu jab on Saturday - she falls in the age bracket below me and they had literally just started doling out her version of the jab.

IJL

« Reply #289 on: 20 November, 2020, 10:41:13 am »
So the govt has now announced that all over 50's will be eligible for a flu vaccine from the first of Dec

This is despite the fact that there is not enough vaccine stock to vaccinate the under 65 at risk group that are normally vaccinated

delivery dates for extra vaccine ordered weeks ago are still unclear and how we get hold of an extra 1600 doses for the 50-64 year old who did not fall into a previous at risk group are even less certain.

In the mean time the govt is advising millions to call there GP so we can tell them that we don't know when....

It give me a warm glow to know the NHS is run by such Cockwombles.

« Reply #290 on: 20 November, 2020, 10:44:55 am »
It's all about headlines though.  Which tory ever gave a shit about harsh realities and mere facts.

« Reply #291 on: 26 November, 2020, 03:58:16 pm »
I have been  told, I  work somewhere in the  NHS, that there's now more of the  flu vaccine available.

« Reply #292 on: 26 November, 2020, 04:33:24 pm »
The Trust I work for told us a month or so ago that because we had been so enthusiastic about the flu vaccine this year, they were going to pause the programme for a while. Everyone knew full well that it was because they had run out. It restarted again a week or two ago when more supplies became available.

I am definitely noticing a greater tendency to toe the (Tory) party line this year when it comes to work communications. It’s still possible to read between the lines on some matters though, for example the lateral flow COVID tests.

Chris S

« Reply #293 on: 26 November, 2020, 05:57:45 pm »
Had mine on Tuesday. Blimey - they couldn't get me through the system quick enough - the nurse wiped my arm and jabbed me in one swift move, and immediately was shoving me out the door into the car park.

Today (two days later) I received a missive from the NHS saying how important it is for us "vulnerables" to have the flu jab, so I should ring my local surgery and book one  :facepalm:. The irony of this was furthered by a second sheet saying how they'd like to save money by not sending these letters. No shit.

IJL

« Reply #294 on: 27 November, 2020, 12:45:54 pm »
Today (two days later) I received a missive from the NHS saying how important it is for us "vulnerables" to have the flu jab, so I should ring my local surgery and book one  :facepalm:. The irony of this was furthered by a second sheet saying how they'd like to save money by not sending these letters. No shit.

The powers that be have sent large numbers of letters to people who aren't eligible for a flu vaccine, some of these people I had already discussed this with.

Its not clear if the longstanding high risk categories or the NHS's random letters should take priority

On a positive note I have an extra 250 at risk <65 vaccines that arrived yesterday and should have 500 for the 50-64's by Dec 11th

« Reply #295 on: 14 December, 2020, 09:01:34 pm »
I had a text from my GPs surgery earlier offering me a free jab as part of the 50-64 yr old cohort.    I politely declined as I had one at Boots at the end of September. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #296 on: 22 December, 2020, 05:41:57 pm »
Had the jab two weeks ago, after 50-64 low risk invite.  Didn’t even get arm ache let alone side effects.  Like above, in and out in no time at all.

« Reply #297 on: 22 December, 2020, 06:10:02 pm »
As a soon-to-be 58 year old I was expecting an invite which has thus far failed to materialise.   mllePB who is younger than I has already had the invite and the jab.  We are registered at the same GP's surgery.

This doesn't overly bother me though as I gleaned recently that the flu jabnis 40% to 60% effective.  Pretty low numbers when you consider what they are talking re covid vaccinations, and, isn't herd immunity somewhere in the 70% plus bracket?  I'm sure somebody who knows better will enlighten me soonest.

Anyhow, if they can't even invite me for a flu vaccine what do you think my chances are for a  covid dose?

ian

« Reply #298 on: 22 December, 2020, 06:36:20 pm »
I got invited multiple times by my surgery (plus I could get one privately) but I declined, figured I'd save it for someone in a higher risk group.

The effectiveness is quite good (current COVID vaccines are highly effective, in trials anyway), but depends on the strain, but also even if you still get flu, symptoms will likely be reduced and there is a lower risk of significant complications (which include death).

Herd immunity refers to something else, the proportion of a population that needs to have significant immunity to prevent effective transmission of an infectious agent (basically, this means it has nowhere to go).

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #299 on: 22 December, 2020, 06:38:56 pm »
As a soon-to-be 58 year old I was expecting an invite which has thus far failed to materialise.   mllePB who is younger than I has already had the invite and the jab.  We are registered at the same GP's surgery.

This doesn't overly bother me though as I gleaned recently that the flu jabnis 40% to 60% effective.  Pretty low numbers when you consider what they are talking re covid vaccinations, and, isn't herd immunity somewhere in the 70% plus bracket?  I'm sure somebody who knows better will enlighten me soonest.

Anyhow, if they can't even invite me for a flu vaccine what do you think my chances are for a  covid dose?

I wasn't invited either, also 58,so i just went on to the Boots website, and booked my self in,its free.

As they say down at Screwfix  'Jab Done '