Author Topic: 20" 406 tyres for recumbents  (Read 18238 times)

network.ned

Re: 20" 406 tyres for recumbents
« Reply #25 on: 25 January, 2020, 04:00:24 pm »
Has anyone tried a Schwalbe Shredda or Shredda Evo on anything?

They seem to be available in 406 X 40, 44 or 50 in various places for sensible money and claim to be fast!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #26 on: 26 January, 2020, 10:10:27 am »
Shredda can be very fast (at least in velomobiles) but puncture proofing isn’t so good.

I think they may no longer be made though.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Phil W

« Reply #27 on: 26 January, 2020, 04:32:59 pm »
Whilst  investigating winter cycling tyre options I came across

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/marathon-gt-365

It looks suspiciously like the same stuff that goes on with car winter tyres. You can definitely see sipes in that tread and it has a winter compound.  Plus they do it in 406-40. So if you have a small front wheel recumbent you can add a winter tyre for more security.

Now who has it in stock?

« Reply #28 on: 27 January, 2020, 06:21:42 pm »

It looks suspiciously like the same stuff that goes on with car winter tyres. You can definitely see sipes in that tread and it has a winter compound.  Plus they do it in 406-40. So if you have a small front wheel recumbent you can add a winter tyre for more security.

Now who has it in stock?
It probabaly rides likes a brick with both those punction protection defences.

Phil W

« Reply #29 on: 27 January, 2020, 10:11:12 pm »

Now who has it in stock?

Possibly but I’d only see it being used if a cold snap set in or snow on ground. So you’d could use that to stop front wheel slipping out, or decide not to ride instead.

Phil W

« Reply #30 on: 04 April, 2020, 07:09:29 pm »
Finally fitted the Paselas for riding rest of the year.  Much more supple and lighter than the Marathons. Now warmer and it’s not like I’ll be riding very far anytime soon so puncture delays will be a non issue. Be interesting to see how they ride.

« Reply #31 on: 30 August, 2020, 01:40:52 pm »
Paselas seen almost 5 months use now. Despite lack of puncture belt only a couple of punctures in that time. Unfortunately one was a fast downhill which led to some scrapes on arm and leg. Running them at 40 psi.  They ride nice and I’ll probably keep them on till end of October / when the lanes get skoggy again. They handle light gravel reasonably well, though I would not try doing fast turns. Come November I’ll bung a 406-40 marathon back on the front.

« Reply #32 on: 31 August, 2020, 11:59:35 am »
Paselas seen almost 5 months use now. Despite lack of puncture belt only a couple of punctures in that time. Unfortuna tely one was a fast downhill which led to some scrapes on arm and leg. Running them at 40 psi.  They ride nice and I’ll probably keep them on till end of October / when the lanes get skoggy again. They handle light gravel reasonably well, though I would not try doing fast turns. Come November I’ll bung a 406-40 marathon back on the front.
Thanks for the update. The thought of a front wheel blowout on a bent fills me with dread. I can only remember one, which was with an old school Marathon, and fortunately I had time to recognise it and come safely to a halt. I've been running the Maxxis DTH folders on my trike (38-406) and on my Azub Origami (49-406) and have been very happy with the ride, the handling, and the lack of punctures so far. They are light but I can't say they are quick. I did a two week before after comparison with new Racers and they were 2% quicker but I was running them at 60 psi vs 45 psi of the Racers. TBH the new Racers with the deeper tread are pretty impressive.

« Reply #33 on: 04 September, 2020, 06:27:20 pm »
I have seen the Panaracer minit lite Are currently available in 32-406.  So might be tempted to get one to see how they roll. Though I’d want a faster tyre on rear as well to get the full effect if there is one.  For front I prefer wider on smaller wheel to deal with shit road surfaces of the UK.

« Reply #34 on: 04 September, 2020, 06:32:33 pm »
As to blowouts on fast downhill it doesn’t worry me as much as one would on an upright where head contact with a hard surface is likely. Scrapes to arms and legs in the recumbent case , whilst wanting to avoid, aren’t nearly as bad.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 04 September, 2020, 08:24:59 pm »
As to blowouts on fast downhill it doesn’t worry me as much as one would on an upright where head contact with a hard surface is likely. Scrapes to arms and legs in the recumbent case , whilst wanting to avoid, aren’t nearly as bad.

When it happened to me, I ended up under the front of an oncoming car.  Fortunately there was time for the driver to stop before I arrived there.

I counted myself lucky with the babboon arse and assorted bike/clothing damage.

« Reply #36 on: 04 September, 2020, 10:29:01 pm »
I have seen the Panaracer minit lite Are currently available in 32-406.  So might be tempted to get one to see how they roll. Though I’d want a faster tyre on rear as well to get the full effect if there is one.  For front I prefer wider on smaller wheel to deal with shit road surfaces of the UK.
Had a Minute lite. Only 28mm width and rather fragile.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #37 on: 05 September, 2020, 07:18:21 am »
I had Minits Tough and they punctured the whole time - 7 in 1000km. Gave up with them. I used to go 3000km between punctures with a standard Marathon.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #38 on: 05 September, 2020, 08:03:36 am »
Minits Tough is more puncture-prone and slower than Minits Lite. The Lite is not at Marathon levels of durability though. On our Moultons, we would replace Minits Lite around 3000km, sometimes a bit over 2000km. Some folk want something more bulletproof than that.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #39 on: 25 December, 2020, 07:59:34 pm »

Now who has it in stock?

Got them fitted at moment. Primary to see if they fitted before it got cold.  They ride ok coming from a marathon, and although they are slower, no a disaster this time of year.  Nice and grippy where the marathon would slip.  Also decent on light gravel and mud. Nothing like the wooden feeling of Durano plus etc.

Not sure I’d want them on a 200 brevet, though did 120 yesterday and ok speed wise. Now turned cold, see how they go.

« Reply #40 on: 25 January, 2021, 07:54:42 pm »
Adding Conti Contact Urban 32-406 300g , wire bead to the list. Allegedly rolls as well as the speed but with better puncture protection.

« Reply #41 on: 03 February, 2021, 06:35:47 pm »
Now ordered the Conti contact Urban.  Will fit sometime in March or April as we exit Winter and roads less skoggy and flooded. I did see the Contact Speed is available for £13.99 but could not bring myself to drop below 32mm width.

"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #43 on: 05 March, 2021, 09:54:33 pm »
What’s the nominal pressure they define for it? 

Certainly for me I prefer my tyres to be at lower end of pressure range to give smooth front end on British roads. Haven’t notice any speed loss because of that. I suspect a solid tyre would be a little to firm, or possibly too spongy. But either way you are stuck with what they consider appropriate not you. For instance I might prefer firmer pressures on smoother French roads or even lower pressures on Irish west coast chip seal.

« Reply #44 on: 06 March, 2021, 03:51:18 pm »
I was looking for a tyre to use on the front of a semi-recumbent tandem, but according to the solid tyre manufacturer's specs, the max weight of the rider and bicycle must not exceed 150kg. So not possible unless my stoker and I lose 40kg or so (t'ain't 'app'nin').

The "equivalent tyre pressure" for this size of tyre is 80psi, which is way above my comfort pressure. On Marathon Touring tyres, we run at about 40-45psi.

According to the seller, they soften with use, and they are great!

But there are downsides-
Changing the tyre is a right royal PITA, so a broken spoke could mean the end of a ride.
They lack grip on wet surfaces.
They are not to be used on grass or gravel.

Sorry I even raised them as a possible.
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #45 on: 06 March, 2021, 06:15:24 pm »
I was looking for a tyre to use on the front of a semi-recumbent tandem, but according to the solid tyre manufacturer's specs, the max weight of the rider and bicycle must not exceed 150kg. So not possible unless my stoker and I lose 40kg or so (t'ain't 'app'nin').

The "equivalent tyre pressure" for this size of tyre is 80psi, which is way above my comfort pressure. On Marathon Touring tyres, we run at about 40-45psi.

According to the seller, they soften with use, and they are great!

But there are downsides-
Changing the tyre is a right royal PITA, so a broken spoke could mean the end of a ride.
They lack grip on wet surfaces.
They are not to be used on grass or gravel.

Sorry I even raised them as a possible.

Is that the weight per tyre? For instance if 50/50 perfect load that gets you up to 150kg max per wheel.

« Reply #46 on: 07 March, 2021, 03:54:02 am »
I have been tempted to put a "solid" tyre on the back wheel of my bent trike.
With the Rohloff and disk brake a puncture is a real PITA.
My main worry is how thick the rubber which makes up the tread is over the core.
I like the Big Apple tyre on the back wheel simply because it has a thick-ish depth of rubber before you get to anything vital.
This gives me twice the mileage out of a tyre verses something like a M Racer.
Plus I don't know how well it would survive any sideways forces on it due to the trike not leaning.

Luck ........  ;D

« Reply #47 on: 09 March, 2021, 11:17:09 pm »

Is that the weight per tyre? For instance if 50/50 perfect load that gets you up to 150kg max per wheel.
[/quote]

No, it's the max all up weight of the rig inc rider. i.e. under exceptionally heavy braking, when the load can be entirely on the front wheel.

To bring it into perspective, my (non-dark side) CX bike has a maximum weight rating of 120kg. 

« Reply #48 on: 09 March, 2021, 11:21:37 pm »
I have been tempted to put a "solid" tyre on the back wheel of my bent trike.
With the Rohloff and disk brake a puncture is a real PITA.
My main worry is how thick the rubber which makes up the tread is over the core.
I like the Big Apple tyre on the back wheel simply because it has a thick-ish depth of rubber before you get to anything vital.
This gives me twice the mileage out of a tyre verses something like a M Racer.
Plus I don't know how well it would survive any sideways forces on it due to the trike not leaning.

Luck ........  ;D

I don't think there's any danger of the tyre coming off through sideways, non-leaning, trike loading. Getting them on and off (difficulties) is one of the downsides. Possibly worth trying one in your instance.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #49 on: 10 March, 2021, 12:58:17 am »
There is a famous picture* of Andy Pegg hurling a Windcheetah through the left-hander hairpin at Eastway with the outside front tyre** bent almost through a right angle without coming off the rim.  Though if you treated them like that they didn’t last long; my grate frend Mr Sheen completely trashed a pair in about an hour of racing in spite of swapping them over during the lunch break.

* Someone remind me to scan and post it when I'm on the Proper Computer
** 32-369 Wolber-Moulton
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime