Author Topic: Driving school driver  (Read 2776 times)

Driving school driver
« on: 23 April, 2008, 08:43:49 am »
Overtook me and another cyclist on the sweeping S bend on the A233 near the Downe/Keston roundabout, or rather his student did.  Too close, on the narrowest bit of that road with one wheel on the double white lines, and in the face of oncoming traffic.  He even told me it was plenty of room when I caught up with him further down the road!

I find out this morning I'd forgotten to turn on my video camera when I left home.  Sigh!  I could have done a Cunobelin otherwise, and written off to all the driving schools in the area.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Re: Driving school driver
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2008, 10:13:29 pm »
Write anyway...
Cheers
Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching

« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2008, 10:15:37 pm »
You missed a golden opportunity to say "See? that's what happens when you go out without your instructor."
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2008, 08:21:38 am »
One would not recommend 'David Bamford' of Cirencester to anyone wishing to learn to drive.  One (the only one?) of his cars overtook me last night with barely a gnat's whisker to spare*.  Only one driver so it must (must?) have been an instructor.  It might not have been so bad if it had been in town or on one of the lanes, but this was the main road out of town. Gahh!!

Is it any wonder that too many drivers have no idea how to deal with cyclists when driving instructors are so bl**dy clueless? Sigh.  Not impressed.

*On the upside a dirty great french chelsea tractor gave me oodles of room.  Lovely.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

iakobski

« Reply #4 on: 24 April, 2008, 09:23:00 am »
Is it any wonder that too many drivers have no idea how to deal with cyclists when driving instructors are so bl**dy clueless? Sigh.  Not impressed.

Whether they're driving or instructing, they are invariably one of the worst towards cyclists of any class of driver - luckily there are not that many of them.

I had one overtake me in the face of oncoming traffic, approching a central island, and very close indeed. It wasn't the pupil's decision: the instructor was leaning across holding the steering wheel!

« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2008, 12:11:55 am »
You missed a golden opportunity to say "See? that's what happens when you go out without your instructor."

I have been known to ride along leaning in through the passenger window and chatting to the driver "excuse me love, I wonder if you've considered getting driving lessons and going to a proper driving school with decent instructors?"  The instructor, sitting between us, was going a funny colour as he knew they were in the wrong so couldn't say anything in defence.

On another occasion the instructor did prevent the pupil completing the overtake too early and squashing me (on the first three attempts) by pointing at the mirror, but when they finally cut me off and slowed down I overtook and cut them up (cue horn sounding).   I don't think they were happy that I took a short cut then and so was sitting at the side of the road waiting for them :demon:  The instructor looked embarrassed and I nodded knowingly when he caught my eye.  At the next junction they wouldn't wind the window down for a chat.   But they did at least change lane afterwards to overtake me, which got a very pointed thumbs up.