Author Topic: PBP Registration Open 25th May  (Read 18295 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: PBP Registration Open 25th May
« Reply #100 on: 19 June, 2019, 12:13:38 pm »
registered today, with the bike check slot at 15:30. did not select the jersey as i have hardly used the ones from the previous editions. hoping there will be enough food at the "pre-ride meal" place :)

« Reply #101 on: 19 June, 2019, 04:38:26 pm »
For anyone wondering, 5,872 people have now reserved a bike check spot, out of 6,660 available slots and 7,625 pre-entries. That’s up from 5,031 on Monday afternoon.

« Reply #102 on: 19 June, 2019, 07:02:48 pm »
The ACP Homologatiion numbers for all the AUK qualifying rides, up to and including last weekend, are now posted on the website.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #103 on: 19 June, 2019, 09:42:58 pm »
For anyone wondering, 5,872 people have now reserved a bike check spot, out of 6,660 available slots and 7,625 pre-entries. That’s up from 5,031 on Monday afternoon.
Is this something that must be done by the deadline tomorrow? 800 spaces left in the final day seems surprising.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #104 on: 20 June, 2019, 07:05:34 am »
Is this something that must be done by the deadline tomorrow? 800 spaces left in the final day seems surprising.

With the amount of riders sleeping through earlier deadlines, it's not surprising to me.

« Reply #105 on: 20 June, 2019, 08:35:30 am »
Or me, i know of a few auk who got a place then didn't bother riding there bikes!! Same old story really.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #106 on: 20 June, 2019, 09:55:26 am »
Registered - ummed and ahhed due to various things - but I'm in.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #107 on: 20 June, 2019, 06:58:21 pm »
The ACP Homologatiion numbers for all the AUK qualifying rides, up to and including last weekend, are now posted on the website.
Very well done the organisers, helpers and system for speedy homologation of the 600s last weekend. Audax UK (specifically its massive matrix of volunteers) shines. Good luck the riders in the postal finish 600 this weekend: "This is an X rated event. Riders to post back their brevet card with receipts to the organiser at the end." (First class having scanned the brevet and the numbered and highlighted PoPs.)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #108 on: 20 June, 2019, 11:09:36 pm »
Audax UK (specifically its massive matrix of volunteers) shines.

I think two, possibly three, people are involved in the validation and homologation process, once an event organiser has sent off the brevets.  I expect they'll be taking a well-earned breather once this weekend's events are wrapped up, and rightly so — thank you and bravo :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #109 on: 20 June, 2019, 11:11:57 pm »
6,131 seem to have converted their pre-registration to registrations (or at least, booked bike checks). So around 1,500 lost deposits assuming it's closed now.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #110 on: 21 June, 2019, 07:12:25 am »
6,131 seem to have converted their pre-registration to registrations (or at least, booked bike checks). So around 1,500 lost deposits assuming it's closed now.

So not actually that much more than 2015 - 6094 registered, 5870 started. Hopefully ACP will announce the official stats at some point.

Where does the 1500 come from? 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #111 on: 21 June, 2019, 07:14:56 am »
Or me, i know of a few auk who got a place then didn't bother riding there bikes!! Same old story really.

So you're saying reading a cycling book, going to the gym, having a mantra & posting on social media isn't enough to qualify for PBP - we actually have to get out and ride our bikes as well?

Why didn't someone mention this a year ago :demon:

« Reply #112 on: 21 June, 2019, 08:38:01 am »
By the time PBP 2023 comes around we will probably have smart trainer based brevets in keeping with our evolving modern way of life, that way the virtual PBPs can have an unlimited capacity
(And I thought I was joking https://zwiftinsider.com/peak-form-project-the-longest-ride/)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #113 on: 23 June, 2019, 08:05:27 pm »
The ACP has sent an email reopening entries.

"Due to a considerable number of abandoned pre-registrations (1500), opening of registrations to everybody (with qualifying BRM) until July, 3rd

To register and pay your registration, go to : https://inscription.paris-brest-paris.org/ with your email address and your password. Click on "Registrations". Then click on "Paris-Brest-Paris" and on the button "Sign up now!"."
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #114 on: 23 June, 2019, 09:36:09 pm »
FOMO, or Fear Of Missing Out is a powerful marketing tool in this day and age. The Germans have had a word for it for a long time. It's especially powerful when applied to deadline junkies. I wonder how many people did an SR without a prequalifier?

If you've ever found yourself thinking, "What have I been doing with my life?" or stressing about that list of goals you still haven't accomplished, then you've probably experienced Torschlusspanik. The word describes the fear, usually as one gets older, that time is running out and important opportunities are slipping away.
Torschlusspanik is a combination of three German words, and literally translated means "gate-shut-panic." Apparently the term dates back to the Middle Ages in reference to the panic medieval peasants might have experienced as they rushed to make it back inside the city gates before they closed at nightfall. Being left outside the protective walls would have meant being exposed to the cold, wild animals and perhaps robbers.
These days though, the definition of Torschlusspanik is more metaphorical, and is far more likely to be triggered by the effects of a mid-life crisis, or the tick-tock of a biological clock.

https://www.dw.com/en/torschlusspanik/a-17145214

« Reply #115 on: 24 June, 2019, 06:58:48 am »
I wonder how many people did an SR without a prequalifier?

Perhaps not many, I got the email from ACP now 11 hours ago and the newly released places haven't been flying off the shelves yet, maybe half dozen in that time, getting too close perhaps other than for European (including UK) riders to get themselves organised, a lot of the non pre-qualifiers probably abandoned their SRs when it was announced a couple of months back that there would be no additional places for non pre-qualifiers? I hope it doesn't impact the financial viability of this PBP. I think they were expecting 500 drop-outs but 1500 is a bit of a surprise.

Date    Time limit    Remaining places
18/08    80h00            127
18/08    90h00            633
19/08    84h00            243

« Reply #116 on: 24 June, 2019, 07:06:33 am »
I expect the places to sell out during the next week. There are still a surprising number of (especially French) riders about who aren't well organised. It'll take several days for them to hear of the news.
On saturday I discussed this with a French rider during a French 200, the degree of national organisation and it's influence on PBP participation.

« Reply #117 on: 24 June, 2019, 08:08:46 am »

Perhaps not many, I got the email from ACP now 11 hours ago and the newly released places haven't been flying off the shelves yet, maybe half dozen in that time, getting too close perhaps other than for European (including UK) riders to get themselves organised, a lot of the non pre-qualifiers probably abandoned their SRs when it was announced a couple of months back that there would be no additional places for non pre-qualifiers? I hope it doesn't impact the financial viability of this PBP. I think they were expecting 500 drop-outs but 1500 is a bit of a surprise.

Date    Time limit    Remaining places
18/08    80h00            127
18/08    90h00            633
19/08    84h00            243

A friend who didn't have a pre-qual but still completed his SR has said he's made other plans now, and he was very keen to do it.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #118 on: 24 June, 2019, 10:38:41 am »

Within AUK alone, 195 people are listed as 1st-time SRs this year.   Of course many of those may have done a 300 or 400 last year.  Some others may have done a SR before (so not listed) but nothing last year.
 (A very few of those 195 can be false positives - due to a name change for example - OTOH a few more will get added when the results for this last weekend are in.)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #119 on: 24 June, 2019, 10:49:27 am »
when it was announced a couple of months back that there would be no additional places for non pre-qualifiers?

Did they ever announce that? I know a lot of people assumed it when they announced the pre-qualifier slots were full, but I don't think they ever stated it definitely wouldn't be reopening in June.

(I always predicted a high number of drop outs, so the fact it's reopened is no surprise. Lots of panic buying of places by undecideds earlier in the year when it looked likely to sell out)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #120 on: 24 June, 2019, 11:03:28 am »
I undertood, a while back, that ACP/PBP had stated that entries would not re-open after the pre-qualifier entry process was complete.  But maybe that was just mis-reported somehow, and I got the wrong impression.

A subsequent announcement of re-opening is, of course, very French.

Last April I predicted:
Around 140 UK pre-registrants (let's be very safe and just say "well over 100") either won't enter or won't make it to the start.
So I don't think 1500 globally is so very surprising, I would expect ACP/PBP to factor in 1000+ dropouts right from the start.  The whole system is clearly an income-generator for them.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #121 on: 24 June, 2019, 11:06:37 am »
when it was announced a couple of months back that there would be no additional places for non pre-qualifiers?

Did they ever announce that? I know a lot of people assumed it when they announced the pre-qualifier slots were full, but I don't think they ever stated it definitely wouldn't be reopening in June.

This is the announcement they made on 10/April

"April 10th, 2019 - maximum number of places has be reached
Due to the enthusiasm for the 19th edition of Paris-Brest-Paris Randonneur, we have increased the maximum number of places from 6700 to 7600. This was made possible through the effort of the start-finish and stages towns to welcome as well as possible thousands of participants. We have made overbooking to take into account the number of defections, that's why there will have neither allocation of additional places nor waiting list. Pre-registrations were open only for those who have completed a BRM or RM >= 1200 km between 01 November 2017 and 30 October 2018. Registrations will open on May 25th, only for those who are pre-registered (no direct registration as the maximum number of places has be reached). We are aware of the disappointment of those who cannot get a place this year and we wish a good preparation for pre-registered riders."