Author Topic: The 300K Rutland Weekend 2013 - an LEL buildup ride  (Read 8491 times)

Re: The 300K Rutland Weekend 2013 - an LEL buildup ride
« Reply #50 on: 07 July, 2013, 04:13:51 pm »
Really enjoyed this ride. Loved the quiet roads and scenery. I even did the scenic route around the lake.  I took a few pictures, see if you can spot yourself.
https://plus.google.com/photos/103859694843212820136/albums/5897888771395806961

Chris S

« Reply #51 on: 07 July, 2013, 04:19:10 pm »
Really enjoyed this ride. Loved the quiet roads and scenery. I even did the scenic route around the lake.  I took a few pictures, see if you can spot yourself.
https://plus.google.com/photos/103859694843212820136/albums/5897888771395806961

Lovely - really captures the mood of the ride. Hot! You can almost feel the heat radiating off the tarmac.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #52 on: 07 July, 2013, 04:24:00 pm »
If you can manage that pace on LEL, you will have 7.5 hours in hand - that is a whole chunk of time for sleeping.

I am not an outstandingly fast rider, I can manage 15 hour 300s in average terrain as my typical pace (yesterday was a 14 hour ride) - I do not intend to be at that pace for LEL.

Don't stress over it.  Yesterday was a hard day in that heat - hydration and nutrition were challenging. I know I had a really rough time between bottesford and Oakham dealing with hills and heat. You'd got a 600 in your legs from last weekend - don't underestimate the effects of that either.

As the man Hummers says, you are only as good as the ride you are on. You had a bit of a tough day yesterday (but still plenty respectable enough).  You're going to be just fine on LEL.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Chris S

« Reply #53 on: 07 July, 2013, 04:29:34 pm »
I am not an outstandingly fast rider, I can manage 15 hour 300s in average terrain as my typical pace (yesterday was a 14 hour ride) - I do not intend to be at that pace for LEL.

But you are quite fast, marcus. Why else would we jettison the "Sucker Killer"  bag-of-doom in Potton to try and dislodge you from our wheel, if not to say - "You fast people don't need a wheel to follow!"  :demon:

We really enjoyed the company of our small train of carriages over the flatlands. Funny how you all deserted us when the hills arrived :).

Chris S

« Reply #54 on: 07 July, 2013, 04:32:02 pm »
Wilky, Lars... at least two riders we know - who we didn't even know were on the ride - we never saw you at the start! Was there more than one start? Perhaps you came on later trains - and overtook us at controls (we spend a lot of time hiding in a pub from the heat, in Bottesford)?

« Reply #55 on: 07 July, 2013, 04:43:31 pm »
It only needs for you to be 5 minutes from another rider and you feel like you're alone on a ride. And one never feels as though one is alone way out in front!
We stopped at one point because I was making kicked dog whimpering noises every time I tried to straighten my right knee. Lots of riders passed us (we had already enjoyed pint & natter & ice cream for 90 minutes  :facepalm: in Bottesford) and Chris became convinced we were at the back.

Photographic proof we were there:

Some idiot  :-[ left the camera in the car so we don't have many, and they're off a sweaty phone.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #56 on: 07 July, 2013, 04:47:49 pm »
They will be posted on this page when I get a chance.

Photos now uploaded, at least one YACF rider from the pink shirt. I also had a video camera set up but haven't looked at the footage from that yet.

I saw someone taking photos of this ride in the morning near Gt Gidding, any idea who that was? Apparently he took one of me although I was on a different event and travelling in the opposite direction.:-)

« Reply #57 on: 07 July, 2013, 04:49:42 pm »
Photos now uploaded, at least one YACF rider from the pink shirt.
αdαmsκι. Looking haggard.  ;)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #58 on: 07 July, 2013, 04:53:18 pm »

Photos now uploaded, at least one YACF rider from the pink shirt. I also had a video camera set up but haven't looked at the footage from that yet.

I saw someone taking photos of this ride in the morning near Gt Gidding, any idea who that was? Apparently he took one of me although I was on a different event and travelling in the opposite direction.:-)

I like the one of me embracing my inner tramp and sitting by the bin!
Right! What's next?

Chris S

« Reply #59 on: 07 July, 2013, 04:57:40 pm »

I like the one of me embracing my inner tramp and sitting by the bin!

What an excellent strap line for Audax UK - "Embrace your inner tramp".  :thumbsup:

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #60 on: 07 July, 2013, 04:58:31 pm »

But you are quite fast, marcus. Why else would we jettison the "Sucker Killer"  bag-of-doom in Potton to try and dislodge you from our wheel, if not to say - "You fast people don't need a wheel to follow!"  :demon:

We really enjoyed the company of our small train of carriages over the flatlands. Funny how you all deserted us when the hills arrived :).

I will accept quite fast. But not outstandingly fast for sure.

The bag attack certainly was a bit of a buttock clencher - must have been worse for adamski though!

I was very nervous on your wheel after that - especially when I noticed the buckle on the bag was undone again!
Right! What's next?

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #61 on: 07 July, 2013, 05:00:07 pm »
Wilky, Lars... at least two riders we know - who we didn't even know were on the ride - we never saw you at the start! Was there more than one start? Perhaps you came on later trains - and overtook us at controls (we spend a lot of time hiding in a pub from the heat, in Bottesford)?

I was there milling about in the parking lot. Saw you arriving and setting up the tandem but was engaged in discussion with a chap about to embark on his first 300, and a bit worried about how he'd fare. Guy had dual panniers and looked a bit overloaded. But proved to be more than enough competent for a double-century as he overtook me like a rocket approaching the 160k control, not to be seen again! Plus I was checking out the infamous "orange blob" and chatting with its captain! Oh and maybe you didn't recognise me in my new ugly  Audax beard present since a couple of weeks!  :P

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #62 on: 07 July, 2013, 10:44:14 pm »
Plusses:-Enjoyable route, scenery, villages with thatch cottages and pretty gardens looking great in the sunshine.
Large entry meant lots of riders to ride with, and chat with - in particular riders aiming for LEL for the first time.
Not needing to carry waterproofs-just had a reflective gilet for the evening.
Minuses:- Sat Nav download problem meant that I was relying on the route-sheet alone, for the first time in ages. Route-sheet was fine, but I missed a turn and rode an extra 12k at one point.
Being involved in an accident on hill after Barkstone. A mountain-biker shot round the bend of the scarpment descending on the wrong side, as I was climbing, so I swerved to the left, but he was going so fast he stayed on his right, and was bearing down on me with great speed....I turned the wheel away just enough but he clipped the edge of my front tyre as he shot past (about 4 feet from my side of the road), bringing me down quite hard on one knee/elbow (but only mild bruising today). He couldnt hold the road and I ran down the hill to find him in the ditch, with a broken collar bone and a nasty head cut - he wasnt wearing a helmet...He immediately apologised for the accident. I called an ambulance and he phoned his wife and his nephew also came out to help and recover his bike.Fortunately, as I have learned today, he didnt have any other injuries or concussion or worse, but his collar bone is broken in 4 places..One of the riders (Lee?) also kindly stayed with me and we were delayed around half an hour.

At the Tesco in Oundle around 7.00pm I have never felt so thirsty, drinking milk shake, smoothy,  refilling bottles and drinking rest ofstrawberry flavoured litre bottle of water, and eating two bananas.
Later on as it got dark I teamed up with another will -be first time LEL rider (Josh), who doesnt read this forum yet. I said he should check out the LEL sub-board for advice.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #63 on: 07 July, 2013, 11:09:47 pm »
You had a dramatic day then!  Thankfully you didn't come off too bad from the sound of it!  And i'm sure the chap who hit you despite a smashed collar bone is thankful that you weren't a car doing 30mph up the hill!  Maybe he will learn to descend at pace suitable for his skill/ road conditions in future!

« Reply #64 on: 08 July, 2013, 01:02:34 pm »
I was the second person waiting with Peter for the ambulance to turn up.  I was 30yds ahead of Peter on the hill and I wonder if saying a cheery hello to me caused the MTBer to lose concentration and then his line into the bend.  I heard a strange noise behind me, glanced round to see Peter on the ground, a mountain bike in the air and no sign of the rider.  Given the range of things you can hit when leaving the road at ~30 mph I think he was very lucky to land in soft undergrowth.

I got the start late, just as the field were leaving (after camping only 1 mile away - bad night, forgot my sleeping bag).  I overtook 1 person before the 1st info control but then nobody else in the whole day so must've been right at the back of the field.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #65 on: 08 July, 2013, 05:40:11 pm »
Blimey Pete - glad you came out of it okay(ish).  Sounds like a really nasty incident.

I've written up my memories of a superb day out here - http://marcusjb.wordpress.com/2013/07/08/rutland-weekend-300-perfect-lel-prep-ride/

It really was a cracker and there aren't too many summer days like that really. 

I think I am ready to tackle LEL now.

Just need to solve the click that has appeared in the drivetrain before LEL or it will drive me mad!
Right! What's next?

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #66 on: 08 July, 2013, 10:22:49 pm »
If you can manage that pace on LEL, you will have 7.5 hours in hand - that is a whole chunk of time for sleeping.

Ah, the sleeping I can handle: the last two rides I have been practising on grass verges, very comfy  ;D

Nice write up, btw  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #67 on: 09 July, 2013, 09:37:46 am »
Thanks Ian for a great route - a revelation of the wonderful countryside that's to be found in this part of the world - and quiet roads too! I'm another who was affected by the blazing hot day as I didn't look after myself properly: was dehydrated to start with, didn't drink any where near enough during the early part of the ride, got overheated to the point of feeling sick for much (most, I think) of the ride, didn't want to eat (I did, just not enough). And what's more, made the mistake of thinking I could keep up with Marcus on the first leg (fail)! Late in the day, the group that I was with stopped at the Windmill Cafe and I got an ice cream which saved the day for me - for some time I'd been on the point of stopping anywhere in some shade and I'd even been looking at streams and culverts we'd been crossing to see if there was enough water to stick my head in to cool down.

Great company along the way though I'm afraid I know few of their names. Had a great run in just three of us (all in light blue shirts - two chaps and a lady) and really sorry that the other guy bonked apparently at the last info control - shame as we all three had been going well together. Also, pleased to meet the tandem crew who I was happy to hang on in behind from time to time - though wary of fboab jettisoning further depth charges to fend off the solos (or "slow-los" as she appears to call them).

Thanks to those who managed to take pics. Nice write-up, Marcus.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #68 on: 09 July, 2013, 09:52:47 am »
The Windmill Cafe looked lovely - I wish I had stopped there, I was beginning to get into serious trouble on that stage and an ice cream there would have been very beneficial.  By the time I reached Oakham, I was done for.  I think most of us struggled on what was the first really hot day of the year.  You forget what it is like and just how much you have to drink etc.

Good to ride with you first thing.

Right! What's next?

« Reply #69 on: 09 July, 2013, 12:55:06 pm »
Great company along the way though I'm afraid I know few of their names. Had a great run in just three of us (all in light blue shirts - two chaps and a lady) and really sorry that the other guy bonked apparently at the last info control - shame as we all three had been going well together

That was me, sorry I did not get any of your names, when I left the last control I felt dizzy and sick for an hour after leaving. I had that same problem on rides before, I think it is my body telling me to wait a bit after eating to let it settle down when I have not eating a lot during the ride. I was fine after it had settled but just had to take it easy as I was cramping big time in the thighs like last week when I did an unofficial 200 up this way last week, but I was happy to get back just after 10.

Great day out along with the route, even got a fly past of an WW2 Dakota aircraft as I was passing RAF Cottesmore.

Good warm up for the Buzzard on Sat, see you there whoever is going. 

« Reply #70 on: 09 July, 2013, 08:06:23 pm »
Hi i cycle (another face to a forum name, or is it the other way round). Nicky and I decided to memorise the last info and head on immediately. We didn't realise that you weren't with us until a little way down the road. Had I known you were under the weather at that stage, I'd have offered you some gel bars - might have helped.

Phil W

« Reply #71 on: 14 July, 2013, 05:28:33 pm »
This is just up road from me, but I was away in Alps. Another year, sounds like all had a great time. Heat is also my Achilles heel and I hope it does cool down or I may be joining Marcus in more night riding on LEL.