Author Topic: The 300K Rutland Weekend 2013 - an LEL buildup ride  (Read 8470 times)

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
Re: The 300K Rutland Weekend 2013 - an LEL buildup ride
« Reply #25 on: 04 July, 2013, 09:20:10 pm »
Really wanted to ride this one, my legs have probably got what it takes to do my first 300 but had a few issues with the bike and really want to make sure they're fixed properly before I push my personal bests out. The last thing I want is to find something isn't done properly and I end up with a broken bike miles from home :(

Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #26 on: 04 July, 2013, 11:03:59 pm »
I'm riding & will be catching a train a silly o'clock from Kings Cross.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #27 on: 05 July, 2013, 08:59:14 am »
I'd hoped to ride this one but just can't. I live close to bottesford though and plan to be out for a short ride over the week end, usual weekend loop when im at home is out to oakham a d dropping back in via bottesford. what time do people expect to be in the area and what's the route in to bottesford?

Bottesford is 160km. I expect we'll be there between half 2 and half 3? I'm a rubbish judge of predicted speed. Route in: Market Overton, Sewstern; crosses the A607 at Croxton Kerrial then through Knipton & Belvoir.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #28 on: 05 July, 2013, 09:31:20 am »
I'm riding & will be catching a train a silly o'clock from Kings Cross.

6:06?

See you there.

I'll be the one regretting caffeine abstinence. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #29 on: 05 July, 2013, 09:54:04 am »
I'd hoped to ride this one but just can't. I live close to bottesford though and plan to be out for a short ride over the week end, usual weekend loop when im at home is out to oakham a d dropping back in via bottesford. what time do people expect to be in the area and what's the route in to bottesford?

Bottesford is 160km. I expect we'll be there between half 2 and half 3? I'm a rubbish judge of predicted speed. Route in: Market Overton, Sewstern; crosses the A607 at Croxton Kerrial then through Knipton & Belvoir.

I should be at Bottesford about 12:30-1pm, looked at menu for control - looking forward to a large Doner Kebab  After speaking with the missus, we are meeting for lunch at the Wheel Inn in Branston, our regular watering/eating hole, I've been told I will have to sit outside!

« Reply #30 on: 05 July, 2013, 11:12:46 am »

I should be at Bottesford about 12:30-1pm, looked at menu for control - looking forward to a large Doner Kebab  After speaking with the missus, we are meeting for lunch at the Wheel Inn in Branston, our regular watering/eating hole, I've been told I will have to sit outside!

The wheel is a lovely pub, but I think I preferred it when it was two little rooms and all dark and cosy, probably because not many others used if then though!

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #31 on: 05 July, 2013, 12:47:00 pm »
Will you be in your "orange thing"? If so I'll pop out and take pictures and video as you swoop down Southwick hill into Oundle :-)  sometime between 6&7?

« Reply #32 on: 05 July, 2013, 01:31:42 pm »
yes I will be in the thing that is orange  :thumbsup:

A quick calculation says that if i'm away from pub at 2:30pm which is 170km, Oundle is about 230km mark, so that is 60km.  I would say I will at Oundle between 4:30 and 5pm.

Pedal Castro

« Reply #33 on: 05 July, 2013, 06:38:07 pm »
OK, I will finish my 100km by 3'ish so that gives me plenty on time to ride home and pick up my cameras. My daughter is talking about trying to find some old green PMU hands that must be in the garage somewhere so that she can cheer you on TdF style :-)

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #34 on: 05 July, 2013, 07:05:37 pm »
Anyone know how many entrants?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #35 on: 05 July, 2013, 08:01:36 pm »
On Wednesday it was mid 50's with a cap around 60, I believe.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #36 on: 06 July, 2013, 06:31:33 am »
On a busy train full of bikes and I am looking forward to a very warm, maybe even hot, day out on the bike.
Right! What's next?

Pedal Castro

« Reply #37 on: 06 July, 2013, 07:31:43 pm »
Took a few photos at the top of Southwick Hill just before Oundle.

They will be posted on this page when I get a chance. If you didn't see me (it was a big lens ), I had already left for coffee in the cafe in Oundle, you need to pedal faster!  ;D

« Reply #38 on: 06 July, 2013, 08:29:38 pm »
 tried to post from Bottesford that due to change of plan I would be earlier, unfortunately no way could I log onto the site!

I finished at 6:20, not massively fast but constant hills for 90% of the return portion plus 28deg C took it's toll on my resolve, I even stopped again at oundle mill to eat everything that I was carrying, pizza, Kendal mint cake, banana.......topped off with 2 pints of milk.  I did this because I thought most of hills had finished - how wrong I was  :sick:

I don't know the hill which you mention, but I did whiz past a couple on one hill not far out of Oundle, the man looked like he was asleep on the verge, and the woman was reading something, they had arrived by bike!

Pedal Castro

« Reply #39 on: 06 July, 2013, 08:47:34 pm »
That wasn't us, we drove out, and were in position just past the water tower from about 4.15pm. I did see you in the morning though, as I was riding a 100 heading out from Oundle as you were riding towards. Saw Chris S & fboab as well. I was wearing a tilley hat and riding a yellow  fixed wheel, I did wave :-)

« Reply #40 on: 06 July, 2013, 09:28:39 pm »
I didn't notice the bike/gearing but hat yes - nice  ;)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #41 on: 06 July, 2013, 09:47:09 pm »
Cracker of a ride. Really enjoyed it, great route, good controls and weather, well, maybe a touch too hot!

Waiting for train home now.

Huge thanks to Ian for organising a great ride.

I feel so grubby. Sweat and sun cream make for such a yucky combination.
Right! What's next?

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #42 on: 06 July, 2013, 10:01:55 pm »
The positives: Cracking route throughout. Loved the red fields of poppies. The viaduct south of Bottlesford was a surprise - I've seen it before but hadn't realised I'd visit it today.

Negatives: Me. I felt bloody awful all the way back - really tired (had two time outs in fields), couldn't eat as I'd feel sick and was moving slowly. Eventually the lack of food caught up with me and I bonked massively with ~20 km to go, cue my riding companion dropping me and then more laying around trying to feel better. Dragged myself along the final part of the ride. I'm guessing it's all heat related, tho that's a bit odd as I've always coped really well with heat. Finished at 9pm, around 2 hrs later than I'd hoped / expected.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Chris S

« Reply #43 on: 06 July, 2013, 10:18:44 pm »
In the pub with a pint, waiting for fish and chips. Finished just before 10. Contrasting route - flat and fast 80k got us to the first control only just after it opened.

In contrast, the section south of Oakham was very slow - big steep climbs in the afternoon heat were tough.

Great route though, we loved it!

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #44 on: 06 July, 2013, 10:40:40 pm »
What a great ride! Just like two years ago. Coped well with the heat but was a bit low
on energy towards the end but no drama. Back at 8.15, enjoyed a pint at the pub finish
before riding over to the train back to Cambridge. Nothing like a post-ride pint - delivers
a buzz not experienced since days as a teenage noob drinker a long time ago! As we
discussed at the finish, strange not more rides head up Rutland way. Excellent roads
and landscape!  :thumbsup:

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #45 on: 07 July, 2013, 12:04:05 am »

Wishing I'd done it now, although that is with the benefit of knowing that my fixes seem to be holding up (at least on the basis of a ride a mile down the road and a sprint back).
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #46 on: 07 July, 2013, 10:04:32 am »
superb day out in (almost) traffic free smooth roads, one of my favourite 300s. on the first leg we spent a lot of time chasing yanto in his "orange thing", the rest of the ride i rode solo. the stage from bottesford to oundle was quite tough, the afternoon heat combined with hills. after oundle felt fine again and finished strong. single speed ftw! :thumbsup:

welland viaduct:

p.s. 1) saw arabella going opposite direction, but noticed too late to shout "hello!";
2) got stung by a bee that flew into my half-unzipped jersey and from frustration of not being able to get out planted it's sting into my waist. sorry, bee, for flattening you - i was in panic and it bloody hurt!!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #47 on: 07 July, 2013, 02:13:33 pm »
A smashing route this – I look forward to re-riding it in a couple of years' time.  Deceptively lumpy start from the get-go, but settling into a flat run to Oundle and then uppy-downy into the Belvoir valley with a great view of the castle over your right shoulder.  And then back again.  The return run seemed lumpier than the outward leg?

I rode to the start from Cambridge with the plan of ECE'ing this 300 into a 400.  I got to the start with 50km in my legs and 10 minutes before the off.  Bumped into Lars, no sign of the tandem (were you really there?).

And then it all fell apart: there's a gentle 50m climb out of Baldock and by the time we crested this, I was lanterne rouge and stayed there or thereabouts most of the day.  WTF?!  Normally I start quick and then gradually see new faces during the day as I tire and get passed.  But at least I get to meet other riders.  Nope, not on this ride. 

This is the last I saw of most riders just out of Baldock:

So since I was at or near the back, I stopped for sandwiches and milkshake in St Ives and sat by the river: call it breakfast, as I'd started out at 5am.

A couple of riders, Toshi and Yoshijen caught up with me just before Oundle and we rode in together, but did our own thing control-wise – perhaps they were late starters? I forgot to ask.

I bounced the Oundle control as best I could and did pass a few riders sat up at the café – woohoo!  Toshi and Yoshijen caught up about 10km before the Rutland control. But by the time we got to the Crazy Fox I was back at the back (or at least it felt that way): the girls in the café reckoned there were still more to come through, eh?  Having over-bought in Oundle, it was time for another waterside picnic with a view of the church-on-the-lake, although first a quick visit into the bike shop for a new set of shades, having somehow snapped the old ones.  I was considering having a snooze on the shore, feeling tired'n'all, but convinced myself to get back on the bike.

The sun was high – too hot!  My pace fell away completely.  I eventually got my lie-down on the verge in the shade just before Sproxton. While I was lying there I heard several other riders pass: I thought I was at the back?  Well I was certainly getting there.  When I got to Bottesford, Toshi and Yoshijen were just leaving and there was a fixie rider finishing off.  So a leisurely baked beans and coffee: in that time not a single other rider appeared, looks like I had got there: all the way to the back.

The return run just felt hotter than the outward leg: hot hot hot!!  That meant the climbs were naaaasty!  But I made it up all the big ones.  Now that I was on my lonesome, I rode conservatively: I could still feel last weekend's 600km in my legs and the heat and dehydration was a big drain, so plenty of taking it easy.

So imagine my surprise when I rounded a corner just after Harringworth to see another rider in front of me: eh?!   It turned out to be Yoshijen, who had reached his limit and was trying to work out how to get back to Baldock.  I broke out the map and guided him to Corby and continued.  I passed another rider just a few miles later: one of us?  I don't know, I don't think so, because they didn't pass me back.

At Oundle I bumped into Toshi again as he was about to leave.  So back to lanterne rouge, sigh  :(

After Oundle I somehow found my legs again: they had deserted me most of the day, but now I was able to pick a cadence and tap along nicely.  This is recurrent theme on all the longer rides where as the day goes on I wallow around a bit with a slowing cadence and then at some point it all slots back together and I can tap along at a steady 80-85 strokes, around 24-26kph with my bike's limited gearing.  I think it's a heat thing, but the morning hadn't been particularly good, so perhaps it's just at the point when the pain in my hands drowns out everything else and my legs go onto autopilot?

At this point I had decided to forego the ECE: I seem to have picked up ITBS in my ankle and I don't need to make it any worse than it is before LEL.  I tweaked the cleat to open up the heel a bit, probably undoing the tweak I did the other day, point noted.  So now it was a race for the last train back to Cambridge.

I tapped along at a steady 25-ish for a couple of hours and re-caught Toshi in St Neots.  However, now I was feeling the tiredness in my legs and had to drop the speed down a bit: had I done enough?  As it turned out I had: I got into Baldock just after 00:35.  By the time I'd got a bank slip and back to the station I still had 20 minutes to wait for the train, so I stopped to chat to a rider packing away, was he the one I'd passed just after Harringworth?  I don't know.  I mentioned Toshi and Yoshijen and he pointed to a van over the other side, and it turned out Toshijen had just arrived back to Baldock on the train and so a successful bail  :thumbsup:

For me the highlight was undoubtedly getting chatted up by a group of women at the cashpoint in Baldock, although in retrospect I looked a bit like their dad being dressed like a highways contractor as I was, so perhaps they were taking the proverbial  :facepalm:  Seriously, the route was brilliant, intricate, smooth (mostly).  The weather was amazing.  The bad points for me was the way I was dropped like third-period French at the start: it seriously made me wonder whether I hadn't underestimated LEL.  That said, I was only a couple of hours behind others, although they would have stopped for longer at the controls.

A fine day out, thanks guys  :thumbsup:

Pics (not many): http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilky/sets/72157634522419755
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #48 on: 07 July, 2013, 02:50:15 pm »
Good write up wilkyboy. I don't think you need worry about underestimating LEL - you still rode a 17.5 hour 300 in challenging conditions. You will be fine! 

And you pulled in Baldock - life can't get much better!
Right! What's next?

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #49 on: 07 July, 2013, 04:04:32 pm »
Good write up wilkyboy. I don't think you need worry about underestimating LEL - you still rode a 17.5 hour 300 in challenging conditions. You will be fine! 

And you pulled in Baldock - life can't get much better!

Thanks Marcus and :D  (although now I'm worried: is that the best I can do?)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...