Author Topic: Restless Leg Syndrome  (Read 5541 times)

Chris S

Restless Leg Syndrome
« on: 11 June, 2010, 06:39:57 pm »
I saw this:

BBC News - Healthcheck: Restless legs

and realised I haven't had an attack for a long time. Maybe riding a bike helps relieve it.

Having said that, I think I have had it after tough audaxes - probably some chemical related thing. Any sufferers here?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Restless Leg Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2010, 07:07:39 pm »
Regular and even cycling may help to relieve it, but it has seemed to have caused it (or triggered it) for me after cycling after not cycling for some weeks, or after cycling harder than usual.

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2011, 07:38:07 pm »
Bump.

I haz it bad right now. Likely a reaction to a tough bike ride yesterday - and maybe some mineral imbalances.

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2011, 07:49:28 pm »
Dunno if I've actually got restless legs but they don't half twitch after a long ride. It means I need to get some sleep.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2011, 07:52:07 pm »
Occasionally, after long rides, I have woken myself up pedalling in my sleep.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2011, 08:58:36 pm »
Is RLS the same as leg bouncing? When I sit in a chair it wont be long before I'm bouncing my legs up and down off the balls of my feet, sometimes I don't even realise I'm doing it.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 01 May, 2011, 09:57:44 pm »
I used to suffer a lot.  I was very overweight and ate late in the evening, which I think meant there was pressure on some nerve somewhere that kicked it off.  A walk or a wank helped, but losing the very-excess belly and getting out of the habit of tea at ten sorted it.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #7 on: 01 May, 2011, 10:05:01 pm »
Occasionally, after long rides, I have woken myself up pedalling in my sleep.

Is this your dog? ;)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/grEypMDqvTE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/grEypMDqvTE&rel=1</a>
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #8 on: 02 May, 2011, 08:24:27 am »
I got a formal diagnosis of "periodic limb movement disorder" (i.e. sleep twitching) many years ago and the neurologist said this often accompanied by RLS.  I do feel the ants crawling around my legs but do not think I am as bad as some cases I have seen on TV where sufferers can't sit down in a meeting or on a train or plane.

I remember having a conversation during a cycle fitting where the fitter was amazed that I like to have cycle shoes that are loose enough to wiggle my toes around.

I also think this contributes to the fact that I like to move around on the saddle and am constantly change hand positions on the bars.

Cycling probably helps more than hinders (IME).

Hereditary?  Goes back at least 2 male generations for me.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 02 May, 2011, 08:32:21 am »
Restless legs syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems hard to find the cause.  Possibly related to iron in some cases.  Can be a side effect of certain drugs.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 02 May, 2011, 08:34:36 am »
Is RLS the same as leg bouncing? When I sit in a chair it wont be long before I'm bouncing my legs up and down off the balls of my feet, sometimes I don't even realise I'm doing it.

That's different - just spasm.

« Reply #11 on: 02 May, 2011, 08:38:25 am »
I remember having a conversation during a cycle fitting where the fitter was amazed that I like to have cycle shoes that are loose enough to wiggle my toes around.

I thought that was normal.  Even my skates have toe wiggle room, and they are the tightest closest fitting shoes/boots I own.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #12 on: 02 May, 2011, 09:01:17 am »
I get a mild form of RLS occasionally. It mostly manifests at my knees and ankles and forces me to move my legs to try and relieve the feeling, which just makes it worse.

Fortunately for me, all but the nastiest episodes are curable with Ibuprofen, so if it is preventing me sleeping I can almost always sort it out within about half an hour.

Triggers for me can be food too close to bed, or most often - sitting with my legs in a cramped position the day after doing a good session of exercise. Not being able to stretch my legs out when sat down is a killer.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

NRB

• I'm doing this for fun, not for charity
« Reply #13 on: 12 July, 2011, 10:12:21 am »
I've had RLS since I was 13. I only found out it was a recognised medical condition when my wife sent me to a sleep clinic because she thought I snored too much and had sleep apnea. Medical opinion on those two points was that I didn't snore much (diagnosis disputed on the home front), and didn't have apnea. I am, however, receiving treatment for RLS - miraprexin (also used on Parkinsons Disease). Its significantly reduced my symptoms, although I do get periodic bouts.

Prior to treatment exercise was the main method to relieve the fidgets, now long events are likely to trigger an episode.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #14 on: 30 May, 2014, 09:48:57 pm »
Holy thread revival batman!

Interestingly I have now started getting restless legs since starting my job as a postie. I'm doing a lot more walking now, about 5 and a half miles a day pushing a heavy trolly (and hardly any cycling  :( )

Not sure whether it is just due to me doing more walking than I'm used to.  It mainly manifests itself in awkward feelings in my thighs, which makes me want to move my legs to ease it.  Fortunately, it's not painful, just annoying..... 

:-\

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #15 on: 30 May, 2014, 11:10:55 pm »
I used to suffer a lot.  I was very overweight and ate late in the evening, which I think meant there was pressure on some nerve somewhere that kicked it off.  A walk or a wank helped, but losing the very-excess belly and getting out of the habit of tea at ten sorted it.

I work with a leg-twitcher. There isn't a pick on him. Next time I'm stuck in a meeting with him I'll suggest he has a wank.

Or a walk.

Either would improve our meetings.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #16 on: 31 May, 2014, 10:43:08 am »
How wonderfully tolerant of you, Paul.

<i>Marmite slave</i>