Author Topic: Women's Tour  (Read 6881 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Women's Tour
« Reply #50 on: 14 May, 2014, 10:17:54 am »
I actually enjoy watching teams lining up sprinters, and I wouldn't call this ride dull. There were breakaways on most days, one of which succeeded; a good competition for the QoM competition between two riders and some decent sprinting. I think I would like a more hilly stage and a TT stage as part of the ride in future however to showcase some different skills. A 10 mile TT would bring the tour average down so allow more distance on the other days too.

Another change would be to have some larger roads used further out from the finish to allow more team tactics in the peleton as this years' ride did have a few problems with riders stuck at the back of the peleton on narrow roads (so did the men's ToB last year).

My big bugbear though was that in too many places they allowed cars to park on the course, causing a hazard to the riders IMHO. I'd guess that was a police decision rather than a organiser one but hopefully in future years they will be far stricter with where they put the no parking cones.

All in all though I thought it was a good event and well laid on. Just hoping for bigger and better things as the ride matures. :)

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #51 on: 14 May, 2014, 10:24:58 am »
There was a (relatively) sustained breakaway of four riders on the final stage, with some real courage from the peloton from several riders who tried to chase them down.

There was also a breakaway on Stage 4, which was rather disappointingly shut down by the race organisers, when some obstruction or other ahead of the race necessitated a slowdown.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #52 on: 14 May, 2014, 06:52:13 pm »

Would you like can-can dancing and juggling dwarfs as well?
Yes please.

But I'm quite happy without them, thanks.

I just found this race rather dull - I've watched lots of races (mainly mens, but not all), and this wasn't the worst but it was well down there. Is that a permissible opinion? Are you able to tell me which races I've enjoyed, and which not?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #53 on: 14 May, 2014, 10:36:07 pm »
I actually enjoy watching teams lining up sprinters, and I wouldn't call this ride dull. There were breakaways on most days, one of which succeeded; a good competition for the QoM competition between two riders and some decent sprinting. I think I would like a more hilly stage and a TT stage as part of the ride in future however to showcase some different skills. A 10 mile TT would bring the tour average down so allow more distance on the other days too.

Another change would be to have some larger roads used further out from the finish to allow more team tactics in the peleton as this years' ride did have a few problems with riders stuck at the back of the peleton on narrow roads (so did the men's ToB last year).

My big bugbear though was that in too many places they allowed cars to park on the course, causing a hazard to the riders IMHO. I'd guess that was a police decision rather than a organiser one but hopefully in future years they will be far stricter with where they put the no parking cones.

All in all though I thought it was a good event and well laid on. Just hoping for bigger and better things as the ride matures. :)

Yes, a TT would definitely help. And you're right about the lanes - the last stage was on my local roads, and I was very surprised at some of the roads they used; some of them are tight for a couple of bikes, never mind 90-odd!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #54 on: 15 May, 2014, 12:02:17 pm »
Part of it is what they can get away with for a rolling road closure.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #55 on: 15 May, 2014, 05:32:10 pm »
According to the Comic, the Women's Tour will be in East Anglia again next year and may be six days long - so long as ASO's Yorkshire Criterium International doesn't nick the calendar slot...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #56 on: 15 May, 2014, 07:14:04 pm »
It would be good if the UCI could up the limit for ladies races to allow the development of race tactics.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes