Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 198242 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #1450 on: 14 October, 2023, 09:24:17 am »
When your son turns 50 and complains of arthritis.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #1451 on: 15 October, 2023, 05:39:49 pm »
Quote from: ian
Solve the Dyson problem by getting a cleaner...cordless Vax blade thing that, from my occasional forays into cleaning ...certainly gets a lot more stuff out of the carpet than the cleaner and her Henry.
Ermm.  That rather suggests the whole, "Get a cleaner" thing isn't quite working as you might expect?

I'm guessing the "my occasional forays" bit may be key to understanding why the cleaner is more satisfying and effective, even if they don't suck quite as hard.

The cleaner is called Karen and the vacuum is Henry. Hth!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1452 on: 15 October, 2023, 09:44:57 pm »
You know you're middle aged when you get that joke :-)

I spend a lot of time at work with the youngsters looking confused and pityingly at me and similar aged colleagues when we make comments like that.

I think a bit older than actual middle aged

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1453 on: 02 November, 2023, 04:06:36 pm »
When there is a request for "someone young" to lift a heavy object out of a car boot and you realize that, in context, that means you.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1454 on: 02 November, 2023, 04:55:23 pm »
When there is a request for "someone young" to lift a heavy object out of a car boot and you realize that, in context, that means you.
I think you are middle aged when it is you that is making the request.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1455 on: 02 November, 2023, 05:18:59 pm »
I think you are middle aged when it is you that is making the request.
The person making the request was well into her 70s.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1456 on: 02 November, 2023, 05:24:04 pm »
I seem to find myself asking people to 'do some manly lifting' and/or 'apply a bit of ham-fisted monkey-force to that' a lot more in recent years.  I think my arms are getting noodly.

« Reply #1457 on: 02 November, 2023, 09:03:39 pm »
I think I've said it or something similar already somewhere in this thread, this thread's title should be "You know you're past middle aged when".

;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1458 on: 03 November, 2023, 12:25:46 am »
I seem to find myself asking people to 'do some manly lifting' and/or 'apply a bit of ham-fisted monkey-force to that' a lot more in recent years.  I think my arms are getting noodly.

Kim has noodly appendages?  :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1459 on: 03 November, 2023, 07:15:29 am »

Wait until you buy something that weighs ~5 kg and they offer to carry it out to your car. :(

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1460 on: 03 November, 2023, 10:01:30 am »
Three days of squat focused work in the gym and my thighs feel as if I'm in my 80s...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #1461 on: 03 November, 2023, 10:30:17 am »
I have a VAX model 121, purchased in 1989 that is still going strong.

Others just DOS round the house

« Reply #1462 on: 03 November, 2023, 11:40:11 am »

Kim has noodly appendages?  :o

All hail they and their noodly appendages!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1463 on: 03 November, 2023, 12:34:51 pm »

Wait until you buy something that weighs ~5 kg and they offer to carry it out to your car. :(

That happened when I bought our (subject of rants passim) microwave.  I took great delight in telling them that I'd come by bicycle.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1464 on: 03 November, 2023, 12:47:54 pm »

That happened when I bought our (subject of rants passim) microwave. I took great delight in telling them that I'd come by bicycle.

Adapted for the noodly appendages?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1465 on: 03 November, 2023, 12:52:57 pm »

That happened when I bought our (subject of rants passim) microwave.  I took great delight in telling them that I'd come by bicycle.
I remember someone otp, I'm afraid I can't remember who, saying that next time shop staff offered to "carry it to your car for you", they'd accept and just keep them walking till they reached their car, which was of course parked in front of their house at the time.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1466 on: 04 November, 2023, 07:25:10 am »
This seems appropriate:

Jesus, missus, did you say the white car?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1467 on: 07 November, 2023, 06:26:18 pm »
Middle-aged people in the past looked like old people today.
Just a few days before New Year’s Eve in 2019, as a world-altering pandemic was silently brewing, former baseball pitcher Brandon McCarthy tweeted, “this is nonsense but did people in the past look older when they were younger?” The floodgates were opened, with Twitter users sharing old photos of their mature-looking parents accompanied by a shockingly young age. A balding man looking not unlike George W. Bush during his presidency was 23. A woman with a haircut now associated with the elderly is said to be in her 40s. A man hugging a child clearly looks to be in his 70s… but he is only 45 in the photo, and the child is his son.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/critical-thinking-history-general-science/we-used-look-older

« Reply #1468 on: 07 November, 2023, 06:33:46 pm »
Twenty year-olds in cavalry twill trousers.  It really happened.  I was there.

« Reply #1469 on: 07 November, 2023, 06:52:28 pm »
Middle-aged people in the past looked like old people today.
Just a few days before New Year’s Eve in 2019, as a world-altering pandemic was silently brewing, former baseball pitcher Brandon McCarthy tweeted, “this is nonsense but did people in the past look older when they were younger?” The floodgates were opened, with Twitter users sharing old photos of their mature-looking parents accompanied by a shockingly young age. A balding man looking not unlike George W. Bush during his presidency was 23. A woman with a haircut now associated with the elderly is said to be in her 40s. A man hugging a child clearly looks to be in his 70s… but he is only 45 in the photo, and the child is his son.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/critical-thinking-history-general-science/we-used-look-older

1980s footballers aging badly, anyone?  :D

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=117443.0
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1470 on: 07 November, 2023, 06:53:52 pm »
Twenty year-olds in cavalry twill trousers.  It really happened.  I was there.

Peter, how many times do you have to be told not to hang around the Conservative Party conference :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1471 on: 07 November, 2023, 07:04:06 pm »
But I observe - I do not and never have, and never will, wear! ;)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: You know you're a decrepit old fart when
« Reply #1472 on: 05 December, 2023, 02:35:27 pm »
When you reach the podiatrist's in good time for your appointment and realise that the 3 pairs of shoes he asked you to bring are still in the car, 10 minutes' walk away.  :facepalm:

Allasame, I managed to do it in both directions in time.

« Reply #1473 on: 05 December, 2023, 03:48:40 pm »
I was at a concert last night & I'm pretty sure I was the youngest member of the audience !     I don't think the younger generation really dig chamber music....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1474 on: 05 December, 2023, 04:36:59 pm »

I saw this and thought of this topic.

Ouch!

But the good news is that I cannot develop early onset dementia.   It's far too late for 'early onset'.
 ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.