Author Topic: ACME Socially Distanced Group Permanent on Saturday 1st August 2020  (Read 19284 times)

Re: ACME Socially Distanced Group Permanent on Saturday 1st August 2020
« Reply #125 on: 25 July, 2020, 07:10:28 pm »
Different perm so no probs if overlap at Buntingford.  The GPS track is filtered to speed up processing on GPS etc. If you do a full fat version you’ll find no missing distance. It’s all approved as meeting min distance so you can just ride as is, no need to extend if you don’t want to.

I wouldn’t miss riding past Stevenage station as that’s where control is located for gps validation. I think the route validation will want you within 200m of that. Though of course I can review your track and use judgement when you’ve submitted a tracklog.

rob

« Reply #126 on: 29 July, 2020, 02:38:00 pm »
My Sunday has been freed up.  I’ll probably ride Boudicca’s Revenge 200 then.

« Reply #127 on: 30 July, 2020, 03:33:27 pm »
Not that it matters all that much. Just looking at route and map. According to Open Street Map there appears to be a new 4m wide cycle way and bridge over the A14 from the roundabout at the Cambridge A14 services.  Anyone cycled over it, can confirm its existence?

rob

« Reply #128 on: 30 July, 2020, 03:41:14 pm »
Not that it matters all that much. Just looking at route and map. According to Open Street Map there appears to be a new 4m wide cycle way and bridge over the A14 from the roundabout at the Cambridge A14 services.  Anyone cycled over it, can confirm its existence?

Not ridden over it but I've seen it from the car.   Looks complete.

« Reply #129 on: 30 July, 2020, 04:20:41 pm »
Thanks

Actually realised I'll be passing that way in the early post sunrise hours, the direction I'm riding, so may just stick to the road. Seen the services are now open 24hr again , so that will be just right for my first breakfast before pushing on to Chatteris.  Got my spare buff for my face covering  ;D . About 115km into my ride. 

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #130 on: 30 July, 2020, 07:25:15 pm »
Recent riders around the route report the new A14 bridges and cyclepaths all completed and signposted. I'll need to ride the route soon to update the route sheet! When I rode round very early in the lockdown the one to the services looked all done and ready to go, just barriered off. It's reached by taking to the cyclepath to the left at the RBT and bearing to the left of the position of the old one and goes more directly to the services - the new road bridge is a long way round. The already opened cyclepath on the A14 bridge approaching St Ives was just having repairs to the embankment as it slumped duing the February rains and is all done now.

I'll be emailing the 10 riders on the 100 & 200km Boudicca very soon this evening. I'll take a spare place on the 100km on Saturday and ride the 200 when I can soon. There may be additional riders sans-brevets on Saturday and I know some others will be riding the permanent a day or two afterwards as well.

megajoulesexpenditure

• More Pedalling Less Paperwork
« Reply #131 on: 31 July, 2020, 12:29:44 pm »
Enjoy your rides tomorrow all the ACME. Scottish Borders Randonneurs will be out too riding the Snow Hare to Sanquhar and other routes. Have fun and take care everyone 8) :thumbsup:

« Reply #132 on: 31 July, 2020, 01:32:22 pm »
Ok, here's the situation:
As of now, there are 6 riders for Boudicca's Revenge 200km and 5 for the 100km on 1st August.
Too far away from where I live to contemplate driving getting there.

dod

« Reply #133 on: 31 July, 2020, 03:19:25 pm »
The new cycle bridge at the A14 services has been open for a few weeks now, the one at Bar Hill wasn't quite finished last week when I passed it. I'm not sure how much signposting is in place for either of them.

« Reply #134 on: 31 July, 2020, 03:26:27 pm »
Updated my gps maps to latest osm. Updated GPS track to include the new A14 cycle way. Also adapted tracks to take account of which bits I’ll be riding in the dark. T minus 8 and a bit hours.

Between 20c to 17c overnight so that should be a nice temp for cycling.

« Reply #135 on: 31 July, 2020, 05:09:06 pm »
for a The Churchyard mains tap is just behind the tower (north side) as you approach from Churchend, adjacent to the vestry.

So come in through gate, go straight past tower, and tap should be immediately on my right? Or do I need to head round to the right behind tower then turn north?

Just clarifying as it’ll be somewhat dark (and quiet!) when I pass through.

« Reply #136 on: 31 July, 2020, 07:14:32 pm »
I've been focusing on the 100, but I'm getting vague memories of a 200 calendar event that went out to Chatteris and back across the A14 at the services. Is that the same route?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #137 on: 31 July, 2020, 07:35:31 pm »
for a The Churchyard mains tap is just behind the tower (north side) as you approach from Churchend, adjacent to the vestry.

So come in through gate, go straight past tower, and tap should be immediately on my right? Or do I need to head round to the right behind tower then turn north?

Just clarifying as it’ll be somewhat dark (and quiet!) when I pass through.

Over the speed bumps, to the tower on R & the tap is on N side of the church, by the vestry door - you should see lots of watering cans there.

I've been focusing on the 100, but I'm getting vague memories of a 200 calendar event that went out to Chatteris and back across the A14 at the services. Is that the same route?

Boudicca 100 & 200 are the old calendar 'Flitchbikes' events that ran in summertime from 2010 to'15 when I changed it to the current 'Richard Ellis Memorial' route, which ran then as 'Flitchbikes', moved to the autumn and re-named after Richard's death in 2016. Boudicca's been available as a perm. since 2010.

bairn again

« Reply #138 on: 31 July, 2020, 09:15:20 pm »
I hope this a success, and a safe one, tomorrow. 

Im on annual leave now for two weeks and should have been en route to Semaine Federale in Valognes by now.

Plan B is a family stay in my in laws in Ft William, which isnt too bad an alternative all things considered.

Bike is coming with me so maybe a wee hurl down to Oban and back for a DIY 200 at some stage while Im up in the Highlands. 

« Reply #139 on: 01 August, 2020, 05:39:39 pm »
Thanks for that Tomsk.

It was good to reach my final control on the 200 this morning before you passed through. Saves posting my card and receipts.  Bit of light mist overnight but good to see all the new cycle infrastructure and shiny new tarmac and bridges by the A14 services. Got there a bit before sunrise. Met the others going opposite way just after (for me) and just before (for them) Ashwell. Also saw Gavin near Potton where we stopped for a catch-up on opposite sides of lane. Had a good sleep after getting home to catch up on missed sleep overnight. Now ready for evening beer and food.

« Reply #140 on: 01 August, 2020, 07:47:37 pm »
Also saw Gavin near Potton where we stopped for a catch-up on opposite sides of lane.

It was good to see you Phil  :)

I ended up doing a DIY today to avoid the perm number restrictions, although it did take it the Boudicca route between Great Hornmead and Potton before taking a longer loop to St Ives and then back home. My full set of Tomsk 200 perm cards arrived this week though so that should keep me busy over the coming weeks and months  ;D

« Reply #141 on: 01 August, 2020, 07:49:38 pm »
Tom mentioned you’d got the set. Good little perm project at the moment.

« Reply #142 on: 01 August, 2020, 07:56:13 pm »
I do like to have a few available!

« Reply #143 on: 01 August, 2020, 09:46:48 pm »
Brilliant day out, enjoyed every minute of it. With the bonus distance that I hadn't noticed on the 100km, and the ride to and from Buntingford, I knocked up, by a few hundred yards, my first Imperial ton since last year's double bypass.

Apart from the obvious stop at the Haslingfield control, I just kept going to Dunmow and had lunch, which I'd brought with me, in Tomsk's park. I'm not sure a photo of the Audax control sign in his window counts as evidence of passage ;D so I did the usual shop thing as well.

I kept expecting to find a harder bit into the wind, but finished almost wishing I'd signed up for the 200 :thumbsup:

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #144 on: 01 August, 2020, 11:31:36 pm »
Just arrived home after 6.15am start to Gt Dunmow for the 115km BR. Last 15km I decided to take the laney route home. Cracking day out, my 1st 200km distance for 8 months and I am sure my legs will complain tomorrow.

Thanx Tomsk for the organisation and to the Big Saxon for treating me to a pizza at the finish. I owe you one next time.
CCS - Setting the Standards

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #145 on: 02 August, 2020, 11:23:18 am »
Well done everyone! Good to see you all out and about or at the Angel and Harp arrivee.

Maybe do another group effort next month? I must get planning some DIYs to make use of other good routes.

« Reply #146 on: 02 August, 2020, 12:56:25 pm »
AndyW, Lightning Phil, how did your Buntingford-based rides go? I didn't see anyone I knew to be on the event all day. Sorry if that means I failed to spot someone.

There were loads of cyclists at the northern end especially though. Between Barley and Flint Cross a stream were coming the other way, but in ones, twos and threes that seemed to be unconnected with each other. One time triallist in training, two tourists with full bags, some small groups out on road bikes, they just kept coming :thumbsup:

rob

« Reply #147 on: 02 August, 2020, 05:59:54 pm »
Did Boudicca’s 200 today solo.  Lovely day out.  Good to be back collecting receipts.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #148 on: 02 August, 2020, 07:54:50 pm »
I seem to be noticing more loaded touring cyclists about - riders who would otherwise be out touring the wider world, but having a staycation? Quite a few about yesterday. Typically such cyclists passing through here are Dutch riders on well equipped, but sit-up-and-beg machines, often following NCN16 west from Harwich, though these look more like Brits: traditional tourers, mountain bikes, gravel bikes etc.

« Reply #149 on: 02 August, 2020, 08:08:48 pm »
Saw an unusually high number out in the Thames Valley today too - no idea what it means, but it definitely felt like “a thing”
Eddington Number = 132