Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 191159 times)

LindaG

Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #425 on: 03 December, 2012, 06:03:33 pm »
We could just go to a pub near NTR station and not do the killy ice thing if it's bad?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #426 on: 03 December, 2012, 07:04:57 pm »
We could just go to a pub near NTR station and not do the killy ice thing if it's bad?

Now that is the kind of thinking I like! :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #427 on: 04 December, 2012, 10:20:21 am »
Golden Lion? There's a TPE back to Darlo at 21.44.

tiermat

« Reply #428 on: 04 December, 2012, 11:05:59 am »
The Lion doesn't do food on a Thursday, BUT the Station does, and has the advantage of been even closer to, er, the station! :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #429 on: 04 December, 2012, 04:04:24 pm »
I'll keep an eye on this and if it's a walk to a pub job may well join you, if I'm fit for even that!  I did manage to leave the house today - to go to the GPs and Boots.  Took me about 2 annahalf hours, and I had a two hour nap to recover!

LindaG

« Reply #430 on: 04 December, 2012, 10:27:40 pm »
Marvellous.  I'll put my ice tyres on the tourer tomorrow.  Just in case.

tiermat

« Reply #431 on: 05 December, 2012, 06:21:56 pm »
Looking at the forecast, it is due to warm up get above freezing by about midday, and stay that way.  Why is it doing this? 'Cos it's going to be raining, so the Norwegian weather experts say.

So the verdict is: Go for it! Meet the same time and place, coffee, chat etc.
Take a verdict on what to do, the options being:
1) ride straight to pub
2) ride a loop to get to pub.
Drink beer, talk shite, head for station/home (delete as applicable)

See ya tomorrow!

LindaG

« Reply #432 on: 05 December, 2012, 06:29:43 pm »

Drink beer, talk shite

My favourite night out  :)

CrinklyLion

« Reply #433 on: 06 December, 2012, 11:55:56 am »
Station Hotel, on the corner near the roundabout?

I'm definitely not riding, but would like to nip over for a pint.  What time do you reckon?  Seems a bit daft to sprint over there for the 18:0whatever-it-is arrival if you guys are off for a bike ride.  Plenty of trains up until 7ish tho, after that they get a bit more infrequent.

« Reply #434 on: 06 December, 2012, 12:14:04 pm »
Aye, I might get the 19.20 train down.

I could ride, I suppose - the A167 is probably clear. I'm not taking a chance on "probably", though.

tiermat

« Reply #435 on: 06 December, 2012, 12:25:04 pm »
NP, I was thinking of taking a view on it when I get home (currently in Leeds), but thought it might be "fun" to try a 7 mile loop, via Warlaby, Ainderby, Thrintoft, Shark Lane and back to the pubbe :)

tiermat

« Reply #436 on: 06 December, 2012, 12:26:24 pm »
And, CL, yes, the one on the RB right by the station (the nasty, orrible RB), beer is not too bad, they do food until 20:30 and if we don't like it's only a short hop, skip and a jump to go to the Lion for beer :)

« Reply #437 on: 06 December, 2012, 12:34:46 pm »
Fair enough. I'll have to get home and fix the puncture on my other bike, though. I ain't going down Shark Lane on my Dave Yates in this lot. There's a train at ten to six.

LindaG

« Reply #438 on: 06 December, 2012, 03:27:10 pm »
Crusty may come and join us after work (he's working late). 

tiermat

« Reply #439 on: 06 December, 2012, 05:32:04 pm »
I have just got in, shower change then sort bike out and I'll be ready :)

CrinklyLion

« Reply #440 on: 06 December, 2012, 05:43:29 pm »
Home, sorting out stuff, aiming for a train into NTR (with no bike so I can EC as well as TPE) half 7 ish I guess?

LindaG

« Reply #441 on: 07 December, 2012, 12:04:42 am »
That was just bonkers. Ice all over the place, stuff falling from the sky, mud, stinky cow muck, more ice, huge puddles. Can I just recommend this kind of insanity to all my fellow depressives? At the start of the evening I nearly cried off. The thought of leaving the house was just too much. By the tine Tiermat Deano and me had all escaped slippery slidey DETH and got to the pub to meet that Crinkles I actually felt rather jolly. A fine night's Pubbeing.

tiermat

« Reply #442 on: 07 December, 2012, 08:43:53 am »
That was just awesome!

Myself, LG and Deano set out in the light rain to go and do a little loop to make us feel like we had earned our beer.

Little did we know how much we would have to earn that beer!

The back lane from Warlaby to Ainderby Steeple was interesting, a mix of mud and ice, some of the ice having a nice layer of water over the top.  Looking like Bambi the first time on the frozen pond was the order of the day, bikes, legs etc seemingly going in all directions, but nobody, thankfully, falling off or over.

The road through Ainderby was clear, but the road down to Thrintoft deteriorated, then cleared.  At Thrintoft we looked at the pub (The New Inn) which has been the object of a fair few evening rides, to see it was completely in darkness, hope they haven't gone under and were just having a night off.

Onwards and upwards to Shark Lane.  The half-frozen puddle at the mouth of the lane should have warned us.  We tried walking a short way up the lane, only to see that it was a sheet of ice as far as the eye could see.  One of us, who shall remain nameless, was on a bike WITHOUT winter tyres, so we decided that discretion was most definitely the better part of valour and turned around to follow the 684 back into NTR.  I lead LG and Deano through a maze of houses to a short shared use path that cuts out a couple of short horrible bits of road.  We arrived at the pub at 19:55.  I asked barmaid if they were still doing food, to which the reply was "yes, until 8!". Quick, get our orders in!

Beer was drunk, food consumed (well mostly, CL ordered a mushroom quiche which turned out to be ham and mushroom, not much use for a veggie!) and, at about 21:45 or so our goodbyes were said and we all headed off our seperate ways.

A grand night out it was, my legs really ache today due to the extra effort of keeping upright on ice.

I'd do it all again.

LindaG

« Reply #443 on: 07 December, 2012, 09:04:49 am »
So would I  :)

« Reply #444 on: 20 December, 2012, 08:39:06 am »
Anyone else out tonight? We're meeting as usual in Northallerton at 6:30. Tiermat, any idea where we're going?

Given that I'm fighting off a grotty snotty cold and it's hoying down out there, I'll be on the 17.35 from Darlo.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #445 on: 20 December, 2012, 08:48:58 am »
I haz boys so won't be out.  Have fun!

tiermat

« Reply #446 on: 20 December, 2012, 09:08:04 am »
Maunby or The Station or The Golden Lion.

« Reply #447 on: 20 December, 2012, 10:44:40 am »
Sod it, I'm scarpering early and riding down. Holidays start here!

Maunby would be good, i've not been there for yonks.

tiermat

« Reply #448 on: 20 December, 2012, 11:10:50 am »
I am in all afternoon, apart from I will need to pop out for 10 mins or so to collect a carpet cleaner, give me a shout when you get near.

« Reply #449 on: 20 December, 2012, 11:11:44 am »
I might go into town and do some shopping first.