Author Topic: Daft? question about Islabikes.  (Read 4146 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Daft? question about Islabikes.
« on: 05 September, 2009, 02:40:05 pm »
Well, as some of you may have noticed, I have been obsessively researching kids bikes of late.  And I found the Islabike Luath and it made me drool... but more for me than for my boy (although he did like it too), to be honest!  I'm looking to buy me a new bike sometime in the spring, and I'm trying to work out if it would be a completely silly idea to get a Luath for me.  The nicest bike I've ever has the use of was one that I bought for about 25 quid off a bloke in my local - it was a Raleigh boys racer and it felt absolutley perfect.  I think I donated it someone in the same pub when I left and moved to France for a while.  I'm a right shortie (5'2") and a complete numpty at bike maintenance, so I'm wondering if actually a kids bike might be just the ticket.  What do you think?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Daft? question about Islabikes.
« Reply #1 on: 06 September, 2009, 09:31:00 am »
I seem to remember Isla herself is not very tall and well-acquainted with the problems of a petite lady; Could you email her for advice?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 06 September, 2009, 05:40:09 pm »
Isla is indeed of shorter stature, and for many years found it difficult to get a top-level frame to fit.  I recall an article in New Cyclist about that, and her plans to build an urban bike for adults - whether tall or short - which predated the rush for compact frames.

She is very experienced about what works & what doesn't. 

I'd ride a Luath if I could ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: 06 September, 2009, 06:35:13 pm »
My missus is 5'2, and if funds won't stretch to a Roberts, she'll be on a Luath when I persuade her that cycling on roads isn't just about getting to the woods or doing shopping.

« Reply #4 on: 06 September, 2009, 08:54:23 pm »
Mrs B is 156cm, i.e. 5' 1 1/2", & has small hands. Her old road bike is pretty old & knackered, but she's told me off in the past for offering to buy her an expensive custom bike (to get one the right size) to replace it. Having now had my attention drawn to the Luath, I can't help thinking it looks like just the right bike for her.

Maybe Islabikes should market a "small adults" bike, i.e. the Luath under a different name.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

CrinklyLion

« Reply #5 on: 06 September, 2009, 10:35:03 pm »
So it's possible that my ponderings weren't completely numpty-ish :)

I would really need to test ride one first though... I've been pootling sedately and oh-so-slowly about on my halfords pseudo-mountain bike freebie for years now, and can't remember the last time I rode a bike with drops...  Actually, yes I can.  It was that (blue and silver, with grubby white bar tape) Raleigh!  I think it might have been the first bike that I owned with gears too.  I probably ought to remember that I was a lot younger, thinner and bendier at the time.  It was fun though.  I have very vivid memories of hurtling round the completely empty ring road to work at silly-o'clock in the morning and it feeling like flying... 

(btw - ratfinks!  I just got totally sniped on an ebay auction for a trailerbike that I wanted to buy my mate for her birthday!  Boo hiss.  Mind, it went for more that I would have been prepared to pay for a pressie.)

« Reply #6 on: 08 September, 2009, 01:45:49 pm »
The Luath is a great bike. My son loves his, and my wife has staked her claim to it when he outgrows it.

Maybe Islabikes should market a "small adults" bike, i.e. the Luath under a different name.

I'm not sure that is necessary - the Luath doesn't look like a kid's bike, except for its size.

« Reply #7 on: 08 September, 2009, 03:08:09 pm »
The Luath is a great bike. My son loves his, and my wife has staked her claim to it when he outgrows it.

I'm not sure that is necessary - the Luath doesn't look like a kid's bike, except for its size.
I'm just thinking about potential customers missing it because they're looking for a "real" bike, not a kids bike. Of course, the Luath qualifies as a "real" bike - but some possible buyers might filter it out before even looking at it, because it's labelled as a childrens bike, from a supplier of bikes for children. Perceptions, not reality.

Some Daihatsu cars are sold as Toyotas in Japan. Change the badge & a bit of interior trim, & they sell to people who otherwise wouldn't even have looked at them. The difficult bit is passing that first perceptual hurdle. Same with selling a "kids bike" to adults.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #8 on: 08 September, 2009, 03:15:09 pm »
Agreed - I'd have issues with buying a kid's bike, even though i know perfectly well it's a good bike and the right size - it just feels a bit rubbish to be buying a child's one.

« Reply #9 on: 09 September, 2009, 05:48:09 pm »
Also bear in mind that it will have a good resale value.
Stropping rocks

CrinklyLion

« Reply #10 on: 09 September, 2009, 07:00:08 pm »
But why would I want to resell it?  I'm not going to doing any more growing.  At least I'd be very surprised! :)

rr

« Reply #11 on: 09 September, 2009, 10:58:01 pm »
I saw a woman - not particularly small - on one with full touring kit.

I seem to remember that Isla designed the subway for halfords and there was some term that she couldn't sell adult bikes for a while. The size over lap between children and adults is large though