Author Topic: INTECH Winchester - Don't Bother.  (Read 1852 times)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
INTECH Winchester - Don't Bother.
« on: 22 June, 2008, 03:33:58 pm »
The Pancholettes and I were really looking forward to visiting the Science Centre just outside Winchester.

My first moan is probably meaningless to anyone without a passion for urban planning and sustainability - but, really, why build it 10 miles out of town and with no bus? Not a great use of taxpayers' money if you don't have a car. Still, I suppose it keeps the poor people away and leaves space in Winchester for car parking.

Once inside (£28 for a family, I think it was), it's the worst example of dumbed down play "science" I've come across. It's where "hands on" exhibits do nothing to explain what they are trying to demonstrate. With no context and zero human guides, it just devolves into kids pressing buttons to see what happens and then instantly moving on.

I have very fond memories of, as a boy, visiting the Science Museum so I know that "hands on" can be done really well. InTech is probably the counter example.

The Plantarium was also disappointing. The facility is great but the show is crap and dull.

So, in summary, if you're considering it as a day out, I'd advise against it. The real Science Museum is only 40 minutes on the train from Winchester and there you have a whole museum full of context and helpful staff.