Author Topic: Lesson(s) Learnt  (Read 6258 times)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Lesson(s) Learnt
« on: 30 August, 2008, 05:32:01 pm »
I'm playing host at my seaside cottage to a couple I've known for years, and their two children, ages 5 (F) and 3 (M).

Moment of panic when one of the other grown-ups set the oven glove on fire, and suffered a burn to his finger.  Taking advantage of the momentary diversion, the 3-year-old grabbed the foil-wrapped Oxo cube, and scurried away into the sitting-room.  None of the adults noticed.

While the burn was being soaked under a running tap for the requisite 15 mins, the 5-year-old brought 90% of the Oxo cube (now unwrapped) back, telling us that she'd noticed her brother making a funny face.  It had very small teeth-marks on it.

It transpires that he thought it was chocolate.  He won't be taking food from the kitchen table any more.

Other points to note:
Flammable Oven Gloves are a no-no. Whoever thought that a polyester filling would be a good idea?
15 mins of running cold water for a burn really does seem to work.  I've never had the patience before, as it always seems cold enough after just a minute.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

rae

Re: Lesson(s) Learnt
« Reply #1 on: 31 August, 2008, 12:33:21 am »
He won't be taking food from the kitchen table any more. 

Yes, they learn quite fast.   

My three year old learned about mousetraps last week.   

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2008, 12:51:18 am »

Next week - chainsaws!  :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3 on: 01 September, 2008, 11:20:34 am »

My eldest learned that when parents say don't touch it is for a reason. They are not trying to stop you having fun by picking up that candle flame.

In the end we gave up, made sure the cold water was running and let her go for it, figuring that her reflexes would prevent any serious damage. She didn't do it twice.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #4 on: 02 September, 2008, 07:48:42 am »
It transpires that he thought it was chocolate.  He won't be taking food from the kitchen table any more.

Is it just me that used to eat OXO cubes then? nomnom, salty goodness...  :thumbsup:

Pete

« Reply #5 on: 02 September, 2008, 02:14:42 pm »
Several incidents of that nature, when our lad (now grown up) was a toddler.  Like the tin of paint that somehow got upset on the carpet and he started dabbling in it.  Fortunately the line of paint, although all over his chin, hadn't reached his mouth - or his eyes.  We had to spend best part of an hour cleaning him up - before we could even begin to tackle the carpet...

And he took a swig at a bottle of Baby Bio once.  Never asked him what he thought it was supposed to taste like...

But some of these stories have a tragic outcome.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 02 September, 2008, 04:55:21 pm »
Several incidents of that nature, when our lad (now grown up) was a toddler.  Like the tin of paint that somehow got upset on the carpet and he started dabbling in it.  Fortunately the line of paint, although all over his chin, hadn't reached his mouth - or his eyes.  We had to spend best part of an hour cleaning him up - before we could even begin to tackle the carpet...

And he took a swig at a bottle of Baby Bio once.  Never asked him what he thought it was supposed to taste like...

That is a tragic story; like many tragic stories, there's a whole chain of mishap.
Dad has loaded airgun.
Dad leaves loaded airgun within reach of 5-year-old.
Dad answers phone, leaving kids unsupervised.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7 on: 02 September, 2008, 06:37:58 pm »

That is a tragic story; like many tragic stories, there's a whole chain of mishap.

Dad thinks it's a good idea to have an airgun.
Dad thinks it's a good idea to have an airgun in house with young children.

Dad has loaded airgun.

You missed a couple of steps in the chain...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 02 September, 2008, 08:19:33 pm »

Dad has loaded airgun.

You missed a couple of steps in the chain...

You are so right. My parents never had guns and seldom have anything which would do a nasty injury to a child.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 02 September, 2008, 08:57:47 pm »
With burns, the heat is still damaging tissue long after you think you've cooled it down. Hence running it under the tap is a good idea.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 02 September, 2008, 09:39:30 pm »
I said, DON'T PAY WITH GUNS!
You'd hope soldiers knew better but they don't   :(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7594633.stm

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11 on: 02 September, 2008, 09:42:24 pm »
When I was at infants' school, a boy in my class was shot dead by his older brother one weekend. I think the brother must have been about 8 at the time.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 02 September, 2008, 10:58:53 pm »
I worry that the girl might be subject to unreasonable punishment, having deprived the family of their male heir. Girls are not always highly valued as offspring.

Pete

« Reply #13 on: 03 September, 2008, 08:39:04 am »
When I was in my school's CCF, pointing a rifle - even if dismantled for cleaning - at a fellow-pupil was a 'caning' offence.  But we still used to fool around - being the kids we were ...

Another craze which went all round the school for a while - until the Head came down firm - was firing those V-shaped paper pellets from rubber bands.  Must have come close to taking out a kid's eye, more than once.  The worst was when some cretins had the idea of 'spiking' their pellets with drawing pins.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 03 September, 2008, 10:10:38 am »
...and Dick Cheney is off to Georgia.
Getting there...

Che

« Reply #15 on: 03 September, 2008, 10:50:44 am »

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 03 September, 2008, 10:55:04 am »
Well done, Che!  I'd missed that option ;D
Getting there...

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #17 on: 03 September, 2008, 02:03:01 pm »
The 10yr old will learn a lesson today when he comes out of school and finds his bike gone  :o
I'm always telling him and have shown him how to lock it properly.
He locked it up today around the frame and not through it. I looped the lock over the bars and round the wheel, then took the bike back home. :demon:

His mum is going up there to pick them all up anyway, so at least the pain will only last for a minute or so until she tells him where it is.

rae

« Reply #18 on: 04 September, 2008, 09:33:15 pm »
Next week - chainsaws! 

Thankfully they can't start them yet.   When I do catch them trying to play around with them, I will show them some photographs.   Really nasty photographs that make you wonder how the hell the guy is still alive after taking a saw in the face. 

Nothing wrong with guns as long as you don't make silly mistakes.  I'm in the process of getting a .22 rifle - of course it will be locked up properly and not left on the ground loaded....

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #19 on: 05 September, 2008, 09:39:21 am »
The 10yr old will learn a lesson today when he comes out of school and finds his bike gone  :o
He locked it up today around the frame and not through it. I looped the lock over the bars and round the wheel, then took the bike back home. :demon:

His mum is going up there to pick them all up anyway, so at least the pain will only last for a minute or so until she tells him where it is.

So how did it go?

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 05 September, 2008, 09:48:05 am »
He's not back from his interview with the Child Protection Team yet ;)
Getting there...

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #21 on: 05 September, 2008, 09:54:46 am »

So how did it go?

..d

He locks it properly now ;D
She told him to go and get his bike and he came back in tears, then waited till they were half way home (about 5 minutes) before telling him.
Was a bit sheepish when I asked him if he was going to lock it properly yesterday.
He loves going out on his bike. Don't know where he got that from  8)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #22 on: 05 September, 2008, 09:56:12 am »

Says the man who took his to meet us lot at Mildenhall  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #23 on: 05 September, 2008, 10:22:08 am »

Says the man who took his to meet us lot at Mildenhall  ;D

Er....

Er...

Don't tell anyone! ;D
Getting there...

alan

« Reply #24 on: 05 September, 2008, 01:19:46 pm »

Is it just me that used to eat OXO cubes then? nomnom, salty goodness...  :thumbsup:
No it's not only you... :)