Author Topic: Flu - how long is a victim (human or ferret) infectious?  (Read 933 times)

Flu - how long is a victim (human or ferret) infectious?
« on: 20 December, 2010, 12:52:39 pm »
So, Tim's got proper unable-to-get-out-of-bed flu. He's had it since Thursday. I've had an on-and-off sore throat since the tenth of December, and have been feeling lethargic and coughing for the last couple of days, but not as severely as Tim. Kitty-the-ferret (yes, ferrets can get human colds and flu - they are used in medical research) has been coughing and wheezing all morning. Wellesley-the-ferret is so far looking unaffected.

The question is, for how long will we all be infectious? We have several vulnerable family members that we musn't infect with flu, but would like to see them for Christmas. Anyone know if we're no longer in the transmitting-germs state?
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Re: Flu - how long is a victim (human or ferret) infectious?
« Reply #1 on: 20 December, 2010, 01:20:15 pm »
I vaguely think the standard advice for young kids is not to go to school, playgroup etc until 48 hours after the end of any symptoms.  Could be mis-remembering though, and I'm not sure what level you qualify at.

Our offspring laid low nearly a full set of grandparents last year after a round trip of plague-spreading.  :smug: (none properly old or vulnerable, mind) 

Wouldn't chance it too much - they'll understand, they probably fully understand what a bad bug could mean to them.

Julian

• samoture
Re: Flu - how long is a victim (human or ferret) infectious?
« Reply #2 on: 20 December, 2010, 05:02:24 pm »
Children are extraspecially infectious, though.  A website called CDC says so so it must be true.  ;D

The interwebs reckons infections from 1 day before symptoms start and then 5 - 7 days after, so if Tim started the lurgy on Thursday he should be un-infectious by Friday.  I have no idea about ferrets.  I hope you all feel better soon.

PS Is it swine flu?  Apparently it's back for the winter.