Author Topic: Pre-empting hayfever season  (Read 930 times)

Pre-empting hayfever season
« on: 25 April, 2013, 09:57:11 pm »
Summer is now finally on it's way and in about a month or so the grass pollen will start to affect millions of hayfever sufferers.

I have found that my cycling performance is at it's worst during the hayfever season despite being in the best physical condition, presumably due to lack of lung capacity and abundance of phlegm. Is there anything one could use just for cycling to alleviate these problems aside from standard antihistamine treatment? I dunno an inhaler or something?

I don't even get hayfever particularly bad, but I find it really hampers cardiovascular exercise.

Answers on a postcard...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Pre-empting hayfever season
« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2013, 10:17:18 pm »
Hayfever exacerbates my asthma, far more so than cold.  It's worse in early summer (I'm allergic to both tree and grass pollens).  In addition to oral antihistamines, eye drops and steroid nasal spray to manage the allergy, I use steroid inhalers for asthma, but I'm not sure they'll achieve much if it's just postnasal phlegm going to the lungs.

I find xylometazoline nasal spray is effective as a short-term remedy for being able to breathe at night.  Sudafed type decongestants might also be worth trying.

Talk to your pharmacist and/or GP, anyway.  If they're feeling helpful, they may have useful ideas.

Other than that, do more evening/night riding:  It's not as hot and there's less pollen (and indeed traffic) about.

Re: Pre-empting hayfever season
« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2013, 09:50:24 pm »
yep same here Kim allergic to grass, trees, fur & feather oh & good old house dust, this is why I chose a career  in farming :)

last couple of years my hayfever  has got worse, when hay making as the dust/pollen lands on my skin within a few seconds I'm covered in a rash,

anyway they've given me Loratadine to try and some nasal spray and we don't do hay making now but I've recently started a gardening/handyman

service, so plenty of lawns to cut soon :)

Not a lot of use to the op, but I would certainly have a chat with my doctor as there is new stuff coming out all the time.