Author Topic: Southend Cycle Town - part 2  (Read 237318 times)

Re: Southend Cycle Town - part 2
« Reply #775 on: 30 September, 2010, 09:20:05 am »
Some of rode along the new farcility at the end of last weekend's FNRttC.  I couldn't help but think that Southend could now use a new slogan:
Southend Council — Redefining 'crap'

Not quite as well as Flatus though.   ;D
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Clandy

« Reply #776 on: 30 September, 2010, 03:27:25 pm »
My mistake. The shrubbery removal is nothing to do with safety issues, it is part of the sea defence renewal:

Dog walkers worried work is harming wildlife in Gunners Park (From Echo)

I realise we need sea defences, but I can't say I'm happy at the impact this will have on the nature reserve.

« Reply #777 on: 30 September, 2010, 03:28:05 pm »
More Greenway work, Springfield to Southbourne Grove, starts.

Springfield Drive build outs.

The bollards now have signs (are they facing the right way?)

New barriers at Prittlewell chase.

Roolz and destructions. No mention of dogs!

Full size image Clicky

Gravel is still loose!  ::-)

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #778 on: 01 October, 2010, 06:46:18 pm »
Noticed today work has started on the inadequate door zone by Adventure Island. I seem to recall one of the safety audit issues with this was it wasn't wide enough. It doesn't look any wider now, just a different colour tarmac instead of hatching.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EDz0sBY0Xvo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/EDz0sBY0Xvo&rel=1</a>

And the word is that if the new red line does not work then they will put in low concrete bollards similar to kerb stones. Why didnt they just build out the kerb in the first place, it would have saved a lot of time and wasted money.

The councils parking enforcment contracters were supposedly going to start ticketing cars mounths ago if they were parked over the line. It's still not happening though because the council won't start parking enforcement until they have put up signs telling people how to park properly.
Never argue with an idot....
They just bring you down to their level
then win on experience.

2 Flat Erics You Tube Channel

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #779 on: 07 October, 2010, 07:42:49 pm »
Noticed today work has started on the inadequate door zone by Adventure Island. I seem to recall one of the safety audit issues with this was it wasn't wide enough. It doesn't look any wider now, just a different colour tarmac instead of hatching.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EDz0sBY0Xvo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/EDz0sBY0Xvo&rel=1</a>

I thought that was a new bus lane!!!   ;D
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #780 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:22:00 pm »
Oh, fecking hell no!    >:( No, no, no, no, no!

Thorpe Hall Avenue  :-[ :-[

I despair!

Although I'm swamped at work and don't have much time at all now for cycle campaigning or chatting in here, I have not been able to ignore this and other related comment I've heard re this scheme, coupled with my own feelings on the plans I've been supplied.

The consultation closes tomorrow, so I have just sent this email to Rob Tinlin (Southend Chief Exec), the three ward Councillors, and cc'd the Evening Echo.  I haven't bothered contacting the Cycle Town project staff as I'm still awaiting any form of response to my previous emails (as usual) despite them promising a good two way communication between us in order to work constructively on cycling in the town.

Dear Sirs,

Please do NOT go ahead with the plans for cycle lanes in Thorpe Hall
Avenue due to the below reasons.

These plans are based on the failed implementation of cycle lanes in
Prittlewell Chase:-
 - The parking bays are of insufficient width to cater for all vehicles
to park in.  Therefore they intrude into the door buffer zone.

- the 0.5m buffer zone, whilst of minimum recommended guideline width,
does not prevent vehicle doors being opened into the cycle lane
 - the 0.5m buffer zone implemented in Prittlewell Chase in reality is
less than 0.5m in width.

- the 1.5m cycle lane, whilst of the minimum recommended width, allows
no cyclist room to manoeuvre should there be a hazard in their path; be
it an opening vehicle door, pothole, or other unforeseen situation.
 - As proven in Prittlewell Chase the painted cycle lane restricts the
cyclist into maintaining a dedicated course which may not be the safest
route.  The Prittlewell Chase lane in reality is not as wide as the
published 1.5m, in some cases reducing to just 0.43m!

- the 3m traffic lane may be sufficient to allow safe passage of small
vehicles (cars) but is not of sufficient width to cater for all vehicles
such as buses, HGVs, refuse vehicles, etc
 - on Prittlewell Chase these wider vehicles intrude into the cycle lane
on a regular basis, putting cyclists in danger.  Worse, now that drivers
can clearly see that there are dedicated areas for cyclists and
motorists, they neither slow down when passing cyclists nor give them
sufficient passing distance.  Cyclists are no longer able to use their
bikeability training and control the surrounding traffic.  It is
extremely alarming to be passed by a large vehicle travelling at 30mph
just two inches from your right elbow.

I am more than willing to meet on site in Prittlewell Chase to discuss
these statements and to demonstrate why the Thorpe Hall Avenue scheme
should not copy this.

The plans as proposed only provide for the straight carriageways, and
abandon cyclists in the areas of greatest danger, namely major
junctions.  e.g. at the roundabout with Acacia Drive no facilities are
provided; cyclists travelling east on Southchurch Boulevard and wanting
to turn right onto Thorpe Hall Avenue via the roundabout are not catered
for; at the junction with Thorpe Esplanade the cycle facility is
inconveniently passed from the carriageway to the pavement; between the
seafront to Woodgrange Drive there are rarely any parked cars so the
effect will be to have a two lane carriageway with a cycle lane in
between the two lanes.

It has been demonstrated in the past that introducing cycle lanes
increase the speed of passing traffic and reduces the passing distance
that drivers give to cyclists.  A situation now experienced in
Prittlewell Chase, which greatly increases the danger to cyclists.
(http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopModules/Articles/ArticlesView.aspx?TabID=0&ItemID=290&mid=13641)  In a meeting I had with Paul Mathieson & Neil Hoskins of the cycle town project both stated awareness of this research and also that other Councils are removing lanes as a result, therefore I am disappointed that the same flawed designs are being followed in a town claiming to have a Cycle Town status.

A better option would be to follow the original strategy as agreed
between the project and the Cycle Group, namely to use cycle logos
(diagram 1057) on the carriageway instead of dedicated lanes.  These
would allow cyclists to choose the safest road position, as determined
by the excellent bikeability training provided by the Council's staff,
whilst also alerting drivers that they should expect cyclists on the
road in the vicinity.

I have cc'd The Evening Echo since their editorial of 24/08/2010
commented that cyclists should put forward proposals instead of just
complaining.  In November 2008 local cyclists put forward three options
for Western Esplanade, only for the Council to fail to consult further,
to apparently ignore our options, to completely fail to address the core
requirements that we stated cyclists needed in this area, and as a
result to implement a scheme that has made cycling in that area more
dangerous than it was before.  Please do not repeat the mistake of
ignoring the cycling community input.

Kind regards,

Nuttycyclist,
On behalf of CTC, the National Cyclists' Organisation CTC Homepage - CTC the UK's national cyclists' organisation

With regards the Prittlewell Chase scheme I am aware that some people, such as Domestique, have no major qualms about the scheme but do know that vehicles intrude into it; I trust that my balanced comments and proposal above do not go against these views.  I have tried to remain factually focussed and with the needs of all cyclists in mind, be it from the novice to the experienced and from young to old.

« Reply #781 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:35:07 pm »
Highlights from last nights cycle forum meeting.

...... Neil Hoskins assures us that the loose top surface is only temporary. The loose stuff should bed in or be swept aside after a few weeks of use leaving a solid surface. Part of the reason for choosing this surface was to increase the noise of tyres and footsteps on a shared path (peds can hear a cyclist or other peds approaching from behind which is probably a good idea in an unlit muggers paradise).

Wish I'd had the chance to be there instead of slaving away to pay the mortgage.

Errr....    if it was chosen deliberately then why is it only temporary?   Either it remains loose, crunchy and warns pedestrians that a cyclist has just lost control and fallen off, or it is swept aside and provides a good cycling surface that is silent.

Kind regards,

Mr Confused.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #782 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:40:41 pm »
The worst cycle lanes I have seen are in Hamlet Court Road, near the junction of Canewdon Road.

This is how it used to be. The cycle lane has been shoehorned between the parking are on the left and the land for traffic.

Bear in mind that the "central reservation" is actually a parking area.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #783 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:48:24 pm »
Maintenance. Winter maintenance (i.e. gritting of the cycle paths). This was discussed but the overall impression that we were left with was that it is probably not going to happen. The reasoning is that a major cycle path like the eastern/western esplanade gets a maximum of 500 cyclists a day on a sunny summers day. On a freezing icy winters day they expect only a handful of the hardiest cyclists to still be out and about. Basically the argument is that the numbers do not stack up to warrant spending the time and money on gritting the cycle paths.

I note from last week's Standard Recorder that Southend have announced that they have stockpiled "super salt grit" in preparation for the winter.  This is Thawrox Plus, and is mixed with molasses to stick to the road surface much longer.

errr....

Isn't this the stuff that cyclists and motorcyclists have been commenting on because it makes the non-icy roads more slippery than anything other than pure ice?
UK bikers skate on sticky grit • The Register

« Reply #784 on: 08 October, 2010, 05:17:20 pm »
The worst cycle lanes I have seen are in Hamlet Court Road, near the junction of Canewdon Road.

I always thought it wasnt a parking area  :-\
I am sure there was an incident some years ago when everyone who was parked in the central reservation was given tickets  :-\
Despite that being on the doorstep, I really dont know for certain though.
The filter lane though, well that sucks and isnt used by me   :(

I also have doubts about what the proposed route is going to achieve.
Tbh I am getting t the point when whatever the council and other big employers in the town really dont care so long as car drivers are kept happy.

Clandy

« Reply #785 on: 09 October, 2010, 09:28:17 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nySs1cEq5rs&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/nySs1cEq5rs&rel=1</a>..?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #786 on: 09 October, 2010, 09:30:42 pm »

I always thought it wasnt a parking area  :-\
I am sure there was an incident some years ago when everyone who was parked in the central reservation was given tickets  :-\
Despite that being on the doorstep, I really dont know for certain though.
The filter lane though, well that sucks and isnt used by me   :(

When I went to pick Dez up from Westcliff Station last Saturday night, it was full of parked cars. I don't go there very often though so that could just have been Saturday night.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #787 on: 14 October, 2010, 11:11:34 am »
On page five of the Echo today a piece from Flewitt says that the Thorpe Hall cycle lane won't be built. Well done Nutty et al who grinked.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #788 on: 14 October, 2010, 12:13:31 pm »
On page five of the Echo today a piece from Flewitt says that the Thorpe Hall cycle lane won't be built.

Falls off chair in amazement.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #789 on: 14 October, 2010, 12:40:14 pm »
'Kin 'Ell!!!!    :o
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #790 on: 14 October, 2010, 12:47:23 pm »
On page five of the Echo today a piece from Flewitt says that the Thorpe Hall cycle lane won't be built.

Having recovered, I went out and bought the paper.

I have now called for smelling salts and oxygen!

Mind you...

Quote from: Mr Flewitt in the paper
"In the future we will be looking at having pre-consultations about any schemes."

I've only been calling for that, and offering my services free of charge, for the last ten years  ::-)   Also, what's the point of the Cycle Forum that Myself, wowbagger, Fatbloke, 2_Flat_Erics, and other members of cycling organisations and the public attend?  I thought we were supposed to be part of this pre-consultation - even though we have been ignored to date...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #791 on: 14 October, 2010, 12:53:30 pm »

How's the chair?  ;) ;) ;D

« Reply #792 on: 14 October, 2010, 03:27:30 pm »
Page 8 of today's echo has a piece on a "Tweed Ride" which will feature some vintage bikes and will set off from Southend Pier at 7pm on Friday and head for Old Leigh.

Would anybody be interested in joining me in a ride along the seafront Cycle Track from Chalkwell Shelter to Southend pier on Friday evening, starting at around 19:05?

montysboy

« Reply #793 on: 14 October, 2010, 03:31:21 pm »
Why not dress up in tweed and join in the fun of the official ride instead?

« Reply #794 on: 14 October, 2010, 03:41:53 pm »
Because I want to see what the effect of two groups of cyclists meeting each other on an underwidth path is; especially as the last of the rush hour traffic will still be going past a couple of inches from the cyclists.

I'll happily turn around and join the fun of the ride afterwards, I'm already wondering whether I can strip down the Sturmey on the Moulton tonight so that I can be on an older bike. 

I'm impressed by the rides that the Council have put on and how well they've got bums on saddles (even though cycling numbers have increased nationally during the same period).  It's just a shame that their engineering departments are undermining these efforts by building such sub standard infrastructure.

montysboy

« Reply #795 on: 14 October, 2010, 03:47:13 pm »
I've been wanting to join those rides for a long time, but have never got home form work in time - they are not at a commuter friendly time unfortunately....   :(

I am working from home this week so am wondering whether to turn up on a modern bike but just dressed in tweed - did it say that pashley's were a requirement  ;D

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #796 on: 14 October, 2010, 05:13:27 pm »
Page 8 of today's echo has a piece on a "Tweed Ride" which will feature some vintage bikes and will set off from Southend Pier at 7pm on Friday and head for Old Leigh.

Would anybody be interested in joining me in a ride along the seafront Cycle Track from Chalkwell Shelter to Southend pier on Friday evening, starting at around 19:05?

If I feel up to it I may pootle along on the 1950's BSA starrider.
Never argue with an idot....
They just bring you down to their level
then win on experience.

2 Flat Erics You Tube Channel

Clandy

« Reply #797 on: 14 October, 2010, 07:59:58 pm »
Because I want to see what the effect of two groups of cyclists meeting each other on an underwidth path is; especially as the last of the rush hour traffic will still be going past a couple of inches from the cyclists.

It would also be interesting to see the effect lots of white lights heading towards them on their left will have on westbound drivers...

« Reply #798 on: 14 October, 2010, 11:24:54 pm »
I'm waiting for the clocks to change, at which point on the first dark rush hour I will be testing the lighting situation I commented on way way back at the start of this thread.

e.g. Southend Cycle Town - part 2

« Reply #799 on: 15 October, 2010, 05:07:14 pm »

Bugger.   Work has got in the way.  I can't get there.