Author Topic: Stud time?  (Read 9882 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Stud time?
« Reply #25 on: 31 January, 2019, 01:37:42 pm »
Compacted snow is mostly ridable on any studded tyre, but if it's relatively fresh you can get to the point where the tyre grips well enough, but the layers of snow shear and take your wheel with it.  This is more like sliding on mud than on sheet ice, so if you're used to off-road riding you're relatively unlikely to end up on your arse.

Not had that as an issue yet. How deep does the snow need to be for this to happen?

I found it was a problem last December when I went out to play (with the Ice Spikers that had been gathering dust for a year and a half since I bought them) in the ~100mm of snow that came down overnight.  I'd dropped the pressure right down to the sweet spot (maybe 12-15PSI) for the virgin snow in the nearby park, and when returning home by road discovered that riding *in* the freshly-formed vehicle ruts was a bit exciting for this reason.  I suspect that higher tyre pressure would have solved the problem - which I didn't experience on the way out - but I wasn't going to muck about inflating tyres when all of 1.5km from home.

I've experienced something similar with a Marathon Winter on the rear wheel of the trike on partially re-frozen foot-trodden snow, but it's just a momentary traction issue when you have an extra wheel.

« Reply #26 on: 31 January, 2019, 01:45:21 pm »
I've ridden a few miles on Marathon Winters and don't believe that they have the Marathon anti-puncture layer. I believe that the 'winter' tyres are built on the marathon XR tyres. They actually puncture quite easily, in my experience.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 31 January, 2019, 01:58:12 pm »
I've ridden a few miles on Marathon Winters and don't believe that they have the Marathon anti-puncture layer. I believe that the 'winter' tyres are built on the marathon XR tyres. They actually puncture quite easily, in my experience.

I don't think I've actually had a visitation on one, but they're certainly not up to the levels of puncture protection that you ideally want if your fingers are going to freeze in the time it takes to change a tyre.  Hence the new Marathon Winter Plus model, presumably.

« Reply #28 on: 06 February, 2019, 09:49:40 am »
Winters arrived. They work perfectly. Ice has vanished, even before they were fitted on the bike.

Actually, I lie. There is still black ice in the mornings on the fen roads. I'm still going to use the studded tyres for a while, simply because I can't afford another knock on my noggin. Can use the short route to work (bike to local station, 2.5miles) for a while, then I'll try the riverside cyclepath. That wasn't great on previous tyres, they weren't so good on grip, but the winters are a bit more suitable.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #29 on: 14 December, 2022, 07:56:29 pm »
I think it is definitely stud time.

Feeling motivated to fit the studded tyres so I can ride.

Not felt motivated to ride for ages, but the idea of crunchy roads and white fields is quite beguiling.

anyone else have the studs on?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 14 December, 2022, 08:15:47 pm »
I fitted clicky winter tyres to not one but two of my bicycles yesterday.  This ought to ensure a mild winter, but the weather gods obviously aren't paying sufficient attention.

« Reply #31 on: 14 December, 2022, 09:49:26 pm »
My studded tyres in the shed are comfortably over 10 years old. The studs might be ok, but I’m slightly worried about the rubber.

« Reply #32 on: 14 December, 2022, 10:07:28 pm »
With the forecast for 15° next week, you'll need to be quick.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #33 on: 15 December, 2022, 11:14:31 am »
I think it is definitely stud time.

Don't they make a mess of the rollers?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #34 on: 15 December, 2022, 05:31:54 pm »
Popped out for a brief ride at lunchtime. Great difficulty standing - we have almost no snow, but everywhere is sheeted with ice.
Nice slow (very unfit) ride up onto the hills, then a bit of comedy off-roading. fun until I started sliding downhill on rock-hard wet ice. Well, that was kind of fun too (getting going again back uphill was difficult!)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #35 on: 18 December, 2022, 10:47:55 pm »
I was having a very successful mixed mode bumble around in the sno with studded tyres flat pedals and walking boots for when the hills got a bit steep for me. Came to a bridge and forgetting that I was not clipped in decided to bunny hop the expansion joint. Cue flailing feet and now have a very sad looking boot as the front tyre ground large chunks of leather away...
I did though stay upright!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #36 on: 18 December, 2022, 10:57:27 pm »

We've had a mostly dry week with temps down to -5°.

This evening it's rained. The pavements are basically a sheet of ice. Even train platforms are iced over. With announcements to be careful getting off the train due to the ice.

I have been *very* glad that I had my Kahtoola Nanospikes with me. Walked straight across the ice with no issues.

Fantastic.

Have yet to find the courage to do battle with the marathon winters in the Brompton tho.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/