Author Topic: Bicycle powered smoothie maker  (Read 5448 times)

Bicycle powered smoothie maker
« on: 09 November, 2010, 06:49:42 pm »

As seen at Reading Uni today.  Direct drive from a modified dynamo to the blender.

Q

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Bicycle powered smoothie maker
« Reply #1 on: 09 November, 2010, 10:53:49 pm »
We've had occasional access to this at Brent Cyclists and Camden Cyclists.

Much effort and fair amount of faff needed to produce a pint of smoothie. Quite lot of washing up needed afterwards too.

Methinks you could produce more drink with less effort using conventional hand tools.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 09 November, 2010, 11:10:54 pm »
Methinks you could produce more drink with less effort using conventional hand tools.

*fails to find the picture of the hand drill with a fork[1] in the chuck from pancake dayn-lots*

[1] Sadly a spork wasn't available.

« Reply #3 on: 10 November, 2010, 09:26:41 am »
Two guys, one cup.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2010, 07:46:08 pm »
There was one set up at the York Rally, and it's wasn't all that much faff - just chopped fruit and a bit of juice or yoghurt in, lid on, pedal, bingo.  Whatever machine you used, you'd have to prep the fruit a bit anyway.

It was a bit different, as it had the blender rigged to the front wheel which was lifted off the ground and set up to be chain driven.  It meant the rider could see the smoothie in production, and added incentive to sprint.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

ellieeasit

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2011, 05:36:39 pm »
Does anyone have any contact details of where I can hire one of these from? I am organising a Bike to Work Week Event and would love to have one of these there!

« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2011, 07:44:56 pm »
Does anyone have any contact details of where I can hire one of these from? I am organising a Bike to Work Week Event and would love to have one of these there!

Here's one, based in Manchester.

Smoothie Stars

This is the one I saw at York Rally, mentioned above.

Smoothie Bikes - Home
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 24 May, 2011, 03:26:23 pm »
Cycletastic in Kilburn, London have it.

http://cycletastic.org.uk/items-available/

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #8 on: 13 June, 2011, 06:03:21 pm »
We've got some too - based in West London.

www.londonbikehub.com

A shitter and a giggler.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #9 on: 27 June, 2011, 11:05:50 pm »
LCC have one for loan to their members -  probably the one Helly ended up with. As she notes - it's stupidly inefficient, a pig to clean after each use, especially as a nearby supply of drinking water is hard to find at the average bikefest and helps to encourage the notion that cyclists are a bunch of mindless yoghurt knitters.[1]

So far I've managed to get out of LCC HQ without it (and the bike to which it is attached) and have a special, evil, look for any member of our local group who suggests it might be a good idea to borrow it for the next event.

[1] I wasn't surprised to see that there was one of these on the Sustrans stand at the last of these events I was at.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie