Author Topic: Belgian brevets in 2020  (Read 6931 times)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: Belgian brevets in 2020
« Reply #25 on: 21 November, 2019, 06:54:07 pm »

01/07/20   Herentals   1200 km

I'm glad to see this is still running - probably the easiest 1200 I've ridden, and the most enjoyable.

And pre-registration is required for this event (a bargain at 160 euros given that includes 3 nights in hotels).

All you need to know about previous editions in this thread.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26 on: 21 November, 2019, 08:41:53 pm »
Unfortunately PBP Audax finishes the same day as the Herentals 1200 starts, so Herentals will stay on my bucket list for a while longer.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #27 on: 12 January, 2020, 10:19:07 pm »
I was thinking of riding the Lier 200k on 9 May. This would be my first Belgian 200. I have the route sheet, but does anyone has a GPX of last year’s ride which would give me a better idea of what to expect? I’d much appreciate any help.

« Reply #28 on: 12 January, 2020, 11:27:37 pm »
I have a copy so if you send me a pm I can mail it to you. (No guarantees they won't change it though)
It's not a difficult route, mostly flat and it takes you through 3 provinces of eastern flanders as the name would suggest. Three Cafe stops/controls and you are never really far from a town or village for supplies. It's on my list too but it clashes with a Dutch 200km event in Nijmegen that weekend.
Regards,

Alan

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #29 on: 12 January, 2020, 11:42:42 pm »
ooh what's the Nijmegen event? I've been twice, it's one of my favourite places. Did my Nijmegen-Bonn ride with no sleep on an eventful summer's day, true type 3 fun!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #30 on: 13 January, 2020, 03:11:11 am »
ooh what's the Nijmegen event? I've been twice, it's one of my favourite places. Did my Nijmegen-Bonn ride with no sleep on an eventful summer's day, true type 3 fun!

Nijmegen? Try the Dutch thread?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #31 on: 14 January, 2020, 05:19:43 pm »
I've just come across Borders of Belgium which begins on 3rd September. Registration opens on Friday. I'm quite tempted. €104 entry, two nights in a B&B, two evening meals and two bag drops seems very reasonable. Shouldn't cost the earth to get there either.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #32 on: 14 January, 2020, 06:15:55 pm »
I've just come across Borders of Belgium which begins on 3rd September. Registration opens on Friday. I'm quite tempted. €104 entry, two nights in a B&B, two evening meals and two bag drops seems very reasonable. Shouldn't cost the earth to get there either.
It's a great ride.
Beware Belgium is not flat the middle 600 packs on as much climbing as the Bryan Chapman and with steeper gradients

There will be few shops open through the night, stock up on food and water at Roubaix or even before.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #33 on: 14 January, 2020, 08:20:11 pm »
Agree that it is a great ride. Though the road surface may be worse than what you're used to in the UK...

It may be nice to sleep a bit in the formula-1 hotel in Roubaix. And bring warmish clothes and gloves, in 2018 it was just above freezing and foggy in the early morning; I dreaded every little hill as getting down was sooo cold...

Steeper than BC, really? (could be, but I don't remember it as such) It did give me 7.5AAA points.

Well organised and very friendly volunteers at those two controls; definitely recommended!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #34 on: 14 January, 2020, 11:38:40 pm »
Agree that it is a great ride. Though the road surface may be worse than what you're used to in the UK...

It may be nice to sleep a bit in the formula-1 hotel in Roubaix. And bring warmish clothes and gloves, in 2018 it was just above freezing and foggy in the early morning; I dreaded every little hill as getting down was sooo cold...

Steeper than BC, really? (could be, but I don't remember it as such) It did give me 7.5AAA points.

Well organised and very friendly volunteers at those two controls; definitely recommended!
You probably couldn't see how steep those Ardennes river valleys were in the freezing fog. Nothing like that on BCM except for kings. Or maybe it just felt steeper as I was carrying all my own stuff.

Sleeping in the f1 may be a good bet, allows for the petrol station after Roubaix to be open when you get there. But j really enjoyed a long stay at the expensive hotel opposite the hostel at the first overnight stop.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #35 on: 19 January, 2020, 08:12:04 pm »
To keep my RRtY going I decided to ride the Bruges event yesterday,  while the route didn't look all that challenging in practice it was. From 60 to 150km it was quite lumpy, nothing more than 40 or 50m but it never stopped. Luckily the weather was great, not too much wind either, not really a winter brevet but I'm not complaining! 
Regards,

Alan

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #36 on: 19 January, 2020, 10:20:29 pm »
maybe if one asks politely, one may be permitted to use the historic velodrome showers!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #37 on: 29 January, 2020, 07:18:48 am »
I've started pondering over routes for the Oudenburg Flèche. Yesterday evening I was checking the SNCF website once again and discovered that there's currently a good connection from Lille to Rouen (TER, 3 hours, TER takes bikes). Provided that there's the usual wind from the south/southwest that should provide an easy ride to Oudenburg.
My idea is to take this connection on thursday late afternoon, stay in a Formula 1 or hostel in Rouen and start out from there on friday.
Anyone interested in this idea?

« Reply #38 on: 03 February, 2020, 09:17:06 pm »
I've started pondering over routes for the Oudenburg Flèche. Yesterday evening I was checking the SNCF website once again and discovered that there's currently a good connection from Lille to Rouen (TER, 3 hours, TER takes bikes). Provided that there's the usual wind from the south/southwest that should provide an easy ride to Oudenburg.
My idea is to take this connection on thursday late afternoon, stay in a Formula 1 or hostel in Rouen and start out from there on friday.
Hi Ivo,
What kind of route are you thinking of? I might be persuaded to do (mostly) coastal route. 
This is 398km (straight to Dieppe, Eurovelo 4 to Nieuwpoort, canal to Oudenburg. The  Eurovelo section can be cut short in many places.   

« Reply #39 on: 03 February, 2020, 09:21:22 pm »
Hi Ivo,
What kind of route are you thinking of? I might be persuaded to do (mostly) coastal route. 
This is 398km (straight to Dieppe, Eurovelo 4 to Nieuwpoort, canal to Oudenburg. The  Eurovelo section can be cut short in many places.   

I have 2 planned routes:

https://www.openrunner.com/r/10956180
and
 https://www.openrunner.com/r/10956188

I've squeezed a few km off the first one so both are now 361km.

Version B desinged on staying at the Boulogne Sud Formula 1 or or Premier Classe hotel the night before

« Reply #40 on: 05 April, 2020, 10:03:24 am »
Belgian update

As per everywhere, the next few audax rides in Belgium are cancelled. The next one to run is supposed to be a 300k....  :(
However, it has been decided to re-jig the calendar and when we can ride, do a few 200s, to get us back into the swing of it all.
I will re-post when the new version appears.