Author Topic: This is not a tour. Welsh rides in the spirit of Mike Hall - 2/3rd June 2018.  (Read 63775 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
They're not all up online yet, but the results will be here: http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/this/events/
Are all finishers up yet? Just curious as a quick tally shows ~ 110 finishers now and there were 500+ registered riders I believe? Yes it was challenging (at least the 300A was) but 80% DNF/HD? Did AUK members on the whole do better than laymen (for lack of a better term)?
I have no idea of the actual numbers on TINAT, but high-profile events tend to have very high non-starter rates (DNS); especially when there is a low entry fee. [Look-up Blacksheep's 1300k he put on round Scotland. ]

80% does seem too high, even for events as tricky as this!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

My video effort (12min) captured on the Sunday 100B ride.  (Llandrindod Wells-Abergwesyn-Tregaron-Claerwen-Elan-LW)

"TINAT Audax: Claerwen via Devil's staircase"      https://youtu.be/u96yVrWK4ms    Guest appearances by Kona Ken (among others).

Apologies if the music is not your cup of tea (was nearly Beethoven's Egmont), and for the VIRB's image stabilisation, such as it is, being a tad lacking in places.   :)

edit.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

I have no idea of the actual numbers on TINAT, but high-profile events tend to have very high non-starter rates (DNS); especially when there is a low entry fee. [Look-up Blacksheep's 1300k he put on round Scotland. ]

80% does seem too high, even for events as tricky as this!

The 300A had around an 80% DNS rate judging by the number of unclaimed cards left on the table, which was a big surprise. A lot of people missed out on a great route.

My video effort (12min) captured on the Sunday 100B ride.  (Llandrindod Wells-Abergwesyn-Tregaron-Claerwen-Elan)

"TINAT Audax: Claerwen via Devil's staircase"      https://youtu.be/u96yVrWK4ms    Guest appearances by Kona Ken.

Apologies if the music is not your cup of tea (that or Beethoven's Egmont), and for the VIRB's image stabilisation, such as it is, being a tad lacking in places.   :)

Thanks for that, Andy, I enjoyed it very much.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
#unfinishedbusiness

So, TANIT 600 from Wed...

Bala/Betws/Waunfawr/Bwlch-y-groes/Tywyn/Machynlleth/Llanidloes/Elan Valley/Tregaron/Dolgoch YH then Upper Chapel/Llandindod/Hay/Kington/Kington/Knighton/Newtown/Talerddig/L. Vyrnwy/Bala.

On the hottest days of the year :facepalm:  I'm gonna DIE! ;D

I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
Can I make a suggestion?

(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

#unfinishedbusiness

So, TANIT 600 from Wed...

Bala/Betws/Waunfawr/Bwlch-y-groes/Tywyn/Machynlleth/Llanidloes/Elan Valley/Tregaron/Dolgoch YH then Upper Chapel/Llandindod/Hay/Kington/Kington/Knighton/Newtown/Talerddig/L. Vyrnwy/Bala.

On the hottest days of the year :facepalm:  I'm gonna DIE! ;D

TANIT.  This Audax Needs Iced Tea? 

Did some of Ffordd Ddu NCN82 and the amazing views of the Mawddach estuary last week. 
(click to show/hide)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
#stillunfinishedbusiness

Well, it killed me off again...a lack of fitness, and stupid rookie error[1]...

Llynnau Mymbyr, early am, heading to Pen-y-Pass

Pont-y-Gain. Trawsfynydd to Llanuwchllyn road, which I think is nicer than the Tregaron mountain road

NCN 82, looking over Barmouth to the Lleyn Peninsula.

NCN 82. looking back along Carig-las (Cadair Idris)

WTF, you lazy sods.  The gardenvalley chair of solitude, Hafren Forest...

The moon over Claerwen Reservoir, stupid o'clock

Sunset over Lake Vyrnwy

[1]  I was expecting to get to Dolgoch[2] by 2am - 7am I got there :facepalm:  Wandering the ruff tracks overnight wasn't the best move, and given we were staying at Llanuwchllyn, I should have had the brains to just go South and get it out of the way in daylight hours, rather than fritter away time on good roads that could have waited until night.

[2[ Only 3 decades of passing and repassing, and I finally get to sleep, albeit for an hour, at the YH :thumbsup:
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

#stillunfinishedbusiness

The moon over Claerwen Reservoir, stupid o'clock

Audacious.  Claerwen is a pretty remote spot so must have been super quiet at night, and not the easiest track even in daylight...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------