Author Topic: Why you should use decent pads for your rim brakes  (Read 48844 times)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Re: Why you should use decent pads for your rim brakes
« Reply #75 on: 09 August, 2008, 11:27:38 am »
How do OE Campag (Centaur) blocks compare with Salmon KS? Should I swap them to prolong rim life?
Pen Pusher

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #76 on: 09 August, 2008, 12:11:29 pm »
The Campag blocks I used a few years ago regularly picked up bits of metal.  I won't give Campag blocks another chance until I hear they are using a compound similar to Kool Stop's!

If however you don't get this problem with your Campags, you won't get much or any improvement in rim life by switching to Kool Stop.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #77 on: 09 August, 2008, 12:39:56 pm »
Yup; the UCI!

You're not even allowed to train for cyclocross on a bike with disc brakes (no idea how the hell they check for that though!)

???

That's ridiculous. Why on earth would they want to control the way you train?

It must be a myth, surely?
OK, you can't use less important races for training if you've got discs, but that must be all.
Evidence?

I'd suspect the justification for banning them is keeping all bikes similar. If you've got a number of people riding together, one being able to brake where the others can't is likely to lead to pile-ups.

« Reply #78 on: 10 August, 2008, 06:06:07 pm »
So far these rims have done 836.11 miles using these green Swissstop Flash pads.
Rim wear is non existent.

The first pic is before I washed the block.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #79 on: 10 August, 2008, 06:17:30 pm »
You'd get similar rim kindness with Kool Stops.

What'd be interested to know from anyone who's used both brands is: do Swisstops stop you any better to justify the extra expense?  The price is very high, innit?

« Reply #80 on: 10 August, 2008, 06:32:40 pm »
What'd be interested to know from anyone who's used both brands is: do Swisstops stop you any better to justify the extra expense?
I have both.  About 3 months ago I bought some Swiss Stops because I have one machine that just does not brake so well for some reason.  I bought them having read rave reviews; to quote one "it was like throwing an anchor out the back".  Truthfully I detect no difference.

Are they kind to rims?  I've not used the green Swiss Stops long enough to say, but I'd say the Kool Stops are pretty good in that respect.  I think that both Swiss Stops and Kool Stops are very much better than original Shimano or Campag blocks.

Before anybody comments- yes my brakes are set up correctly, I've been doing it for 40 odd years and I do know what I am doing.

« Reply #81 on: 10 August, 2008, 06:42:56 pm »
I agree. Koolstops on the TCR stop just fine and are very kind to the Mavic rims.
Swissstops on the MonstaThorn, stop just fine and are very kind to the DT Swiss rims.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #82 on: 11 August, 2008, 02:29:32 pm »
Hmmm, this is becoming expensive.
On the 'tart up the commuter' theory I seem to have gone from 'get new wheels & transmission'  to 'my brakes suck: buy new disc able fork, fit disc brake, shotblast and re-powder coat frame then get new wheels & transmission'.  :o
££££££££
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #83 on: 11 August, 2008, 02:40:26 pm »
When I was in the Alps earlier in the year, I noticed that my pads were a bit worn and bought some new ones - I only had a choice of either Swiss Stops or some very cheap ones already in cassettes,

I opted for the 26 euro Swiss Stops all weather pads and have to say that I noticed a marked improvement over the Dura ace pads they replaced, particularly in the wet.

When the pads wear out in the 105 brakes I have on my commuting bike, I'll definitely get something as good as the Swiss Stops, I like being confident in my braking power, especially in the wet.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #84 on: 11 August, 2008, 02:58:43 pm »
My views of SS green flash

SwissStop Green Flash pads (DA Type)
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #85 on: 11 August, 2008, 04:46:06 pm »
Thanks for that, J-r-J.  I should give them a go sometime.  Such a high price for such small simple items (that wear out) is outrageous, though.

Jacomus

« Reply #86 on: 11 August, 2008, 04:52:39 pm »
Thanks for that, J-r-J.  I should give them a go sometime.  Such a high price for such small simple items (that wear out) is outrageous, though.

It isn't very much really is it?

£20 for 2 pairs of inserts (i.e. 4 pads)

They look as though they will last very well, GruB would be able to testify to their longevity better than me, they are excellent to use, and are nice to your rims... etc

Thats the same price as taking your partner to see a movie, except they last a lot longer!
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #87 on: 11 August, 2008, 04:57:43 pm »
£20 for four little bits of rubbery stuff is taking the piss.

Jacomus

« Reply #88 on: 11 August, 2008, 05:09:37 pm »
£20 for four little bits of rubbery stuff is taking the piss.

Well don't buy them then!

Why not try these they're shit and made from a combo of sandpaper and cheese, only less effective. They came on Emily's bike as OE, and were full of bits of rim after the first couple of stops.

It's your money and your bike.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #89 on: 11 August, 2008, 05:16:24 pm »
I might end up buying them, but that doesn't stop me having a moan! :)

Actually I've got to repeat myself because I so outraged at the price: £20 for four brake block refills is taking the piss!  That's got to be one of the most outrageous prices in cycling history!

I just hope they are really are better than Kool Stops.

Jacomus

« Reply #90 on: 11 August, 2008, 05:19:16 pm »
I might end up buying them, but that doesn't stop me having a moan! :)

Actually I've got to repeat myself because I so outraged at the price: £20 for four brake blocks is taking the piss!  That's got to be one of the most outrageous prices in cycling history!

I just hope they are really are better than Kool Stops.

I'm not convinced it is outrageous - £20 for the most important part of your bike once your moving, the part that makes you stop again.

For me, their performance is worth their price, IMO KS Salmons were overpriced for their performance.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #91 on: 11 August, 2008, 05:25:39 pm »
I'm not convinced it is outrageous - £20 for the most important part of your bike once your moving, the part that makes you stop again.
Well you might argue it's the calipers themselves that are important - and they don't cost a lot more than the pads!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #92 on: 11 August, 2008, 05:38:20 pm »
You can be quite safe with average bog standard brake blocks, but better ones increase enjoyment as well as rim life.  OK, for that, I'm willing to have the piss taken out of me!

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #93 on: 21 August, 2011, 07:16:25 pm »
50 minutes wet commute on Thursday, I started with new clean wheels. The rear brake had Koolstop black pads, very noisy and as the pic shows, quite messy

the front one had Koolstop Salmon.....

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #94 on: 21 August, 2011, 07:27:29 pm »
Yebut rear rims tend to get messier than fronts anyway for obscure reasons.

A better test would be to have salmon on one side and black on the other.  Not that it's worth bothering.  I have sixteen Kool Stop salmon pads on my four bikes.

« Reply #95 on: 21 August, 2011, 07:29:09 pm »
I have sixteen Kool Stop salmon pads on my four bikes.

That's the way to do it!  :D

fuzzy

« Reply #96 on: 22 August, 2011, 01:08:01 pm »
50 minutes wet commute on Thursday, I started with new clean wheels. The rear brake had Koolstop black pads, very noisy and as the pic shows, quite messy

Valve core nipple thingy looks a bit slack.....

« Reply #97 on: 22 August, 2011, 01:22:18 pm »

This is true, in wet conditions the front tyre flicks up a load of mucky, gritty, spray, which the rear wheel passes through. The result is that the rear wheel takes more of a hammering under wet braking.

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #98 on: 22 August, 2011, 02:53:15 pm »

Valve core nipple thingy looks a bit slack.....
mmm the tire was about to get inflated... and some day I'll align the inner tube properly to get the valve at the right angle.

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #99 on: 22 August, 2011, 03:15:59 pm »

This is true, in wet conditions the front tyre flicks up a load of mucky, gritty, spray, which the rear wheel passes through. The result is that the rear wheel takes more of a hammering under wet braking.

A lot of the powdery black substance deposited on the rear rim and tyre looks like its made of dissolved black brake pad though. There were no mudguards on the bike. I would have tried a black pad in front if I hadn't binned it already.