Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391135 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #875 on: 08 October, 2016, 10:52:57 am »
Has anyone had an ECE from late September credited?

I know Martin was away around that time. He kindly checked my brevet from abroad, but I knew it wouldnt get on the system until at least his return to the UK.

Don't want to hassle the chap (as there is no rush), so I thought I'd ask around, just to get an idea whether mine got missed!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #876 on: 16 November, 2016, 07:16:23 am »

Does anyone have details, ideally old route cards or a gpx for the Dovedale and Staffordshire Moorlands 160 Audax, which I believe started in Clowne?
I'm guessing it's not run anymore. I was hoping to make a DIY GPS from it.

« Reply #877 on: 17 November, 2016, 09:49:19 am »
Have you seen this write up? There might be just enough detail to piece together the route...

http://www.meiring.org.uk/pdm/Audax/2004_Clowne_160.html

« Reply #878 on: 17 November, 2016, 02:04:17 pm »

Yes, that's the only reference I can find on it. I'll try and put a route together from that ride report if I hear nothing else.

« Reply #879 on: 19 December, 2016, 05:20:25 am »
Am I right in thinking that a 500km DIY would count as the "400" leg of an SR and earn me 5 points?
Eddington Number = 132

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #880 on: 19 December, 2016, 05:43:31 am »
Yes
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #882 on: 16 January, 2017, 02:10:26 pm »
Virtual DIY cards, I’ve lost count  :facepalm:
I bought some individually, then two lots, used some, DNS a couple, had a DNF GPX failure on one and now can’t work out how many I have left.
When I send off an entry, will the system know if I have a paid for card?  Is there any way of seeing what cards I have?
I’m not that fussed, except I wouldn’t want to do a ride only to find it wasn’t valid because I hadn’t paid for a card.
Thanks

« Reply #883 on: 16 January, 2017, 02:15:08 pm »
Your DIY organiser will be able to tell you what you have outstanding. Pop him an email.

'The system' isn't universal.

Imagine that Alas Smith & Jones sketch about post office bank accounts.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #884 on: 16 January, 2017, 02:36:53 pm »
There's no central record of virtual brevets.
You just have to keep track yourself.
The DIY orgs usually keep track on a spreadsheet or the back of a fag packet or something.

If you were to submit an entry and then rode it,  and it turned out you had miscounted and were out of cards,  all that would happen is you'd have to top up your stock of brevets before the org would validate it.

They are not looking for admin technicalities to non validate.

« Reply #885 on: 16 January, 2017, 02:45:25 pm »
Thanks Boab and Feanor, perfect answers I reckon, saved me writing one  :)

« Reply #886 on: 16 January, 2017, 02:52:39 pm »
Thanks all, I'll ask the organiser.
Then keep better count :-[

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #887 on: 26 January, 2017, 04:00:02 pm »
I bought some individually, then two lots, used some, DNS a couple, had a DNF GPX failure on one and now can’t work out how many I have left.
When I send off an entry, will the system know if I have a paid for card?  Is there any way of seeing what cards I have?
I’m not that fussed, except I wouldn’t want to do a ride only to find it wasn’t valid because I hadn’t paid for a card.
Thanks
Every time I use one my DIY organiser tells me how many I have left in the acknowledgement email. Do you have the information in your last recieved email from yours?

Or just drop him an email to ask.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #888 on: 27 January, 2017, 10:20:29 am »
Thanks
Every time I use one my DIY organiser tells me how many I have left in the acknowledgement email. Do you have the information in your last recieved email from yours?

Or just drop him an email to ask.
Thanks, all sorted now and keeping better count.

« Reply #889 on: 29 January, 2017, 08:25:45 pm »
With the retirement of Steve Snook what does this mean for people aiming for AAA RRTY?

I understand that DIYs aren't going to be able to checked for AAA points. Is it the case that AAA rated perms will still count?

What about riding an AAA calendar event as a DIY?

« Reply #890 on: 29 January, 2017, 08:48:41 pm »
Oliver Iles is the new AAA Man, and AAARTY is in safe hands!

AAAs will go on being available for GPS DIYs.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #891 on: 02 February, 2017, 12:53:15 pm »
Hello all, long time reader, first time poster.

I'm planning to do my first DIY on Sunday as "Advisory by GPS". I've had my route and controls approved and paid for a virtual brevet.

The AUK website says that it's advisable to collect alternative evidence in addition to GPS in case the track doesn't record for whatever reason. Should this include something at the start point as well as intermediate controls and the finish point? Is there anything which can be used other than receipts?

Cheers.

2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #892 on: 02 February, 2017, 01:08:57 pm »
Other than receipts, I tend to use selfies taken with snapchat (I look adorable with the puppy filter).

« Reply #893 on: 03 February, 2017, 08:48:35 am »
(I look adorable with the puppy filter).

I can vouch for that.

« Reply #894 on: 09 March, 2017, 02:14:54 pm »
My prefered GPS recording device is the Strava Android app. Can you use a GPS track downloaded from Strava for proof of a mandatory DIY ride?

The detailed instructions at aukweb make it sound like possibly not?

"Processing the file in some software or websites can remove some of those elements and give the appearance of tracklog created by a computer.
AUK expects ‘raw data’ as far as possible."

Thanks!

« Reply #895 on: 09 March, 2017, 04:00:08 pm »
Yes, you should also get something at the start and finish. That way you can show that everything was within the time limits.

« Reply #896 on: 09 March, 2017, 05:49:36 pm »
Speak to your friendly (yes, really!) local DIY organiser - better to agree in advance what he'll expect to see from you ...

Speaking (naturally) from a position of complete ignorance, my naive assumption would be that the app generates a track which is then uploaded to Strava at the end (rather than, say, relying on a constant data link to send a stream of position updates so the track can be generated on the site). If it's possible to extract this raw track - maybe it's as simple as it being saved to something like an Apps/Strava/GPX folder on your device - I'd guess that's the best format to submit, as unprocessed as possible.

« Reply #897 on: 10 March, 2017, 01:04:52 am »
You can go to the Strava website and select Export as GPX from the spanner menu. That's not really any different from grabbing it direct from the device.

As always, you should think about having a second GPS device (even a second phone running Strava) as there are so many ways for a recording to go wrong.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #898 on: 10 March, 2017, 01:46:55 am »
If it's possible to extract this raw track - maybe it's as simple as it being saved to something like an Apps/Strava/GPX folder on your device - I'd guess that's the best format to submit, as unprocessed as possible.
Not possible as far as I can tell. At least not easily. Don't think you can access the app data folder unless you have rooted your phone. And I suspect it records the track in some non-standard format anyway.

Yes, its easy to export a GPX or TCX from the Strava website. It seems to be mostly 'raw data', including heart rate and cadence. Not sure if it would have been processed with Strava's elevation corrections, but that shouldn't make much difference for audax.

There are plenty of other Android apps that can record a track, and save as GPX format. They may be more reliable and use less battery than the Strava app.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #899 on: 10 March, 2017, 01:13:44 pm »
My prefered GPS recording device is the Strava Android app. Can you use a GPS track downloaded from Strava for proof of a mandatory DIY ride?

The detailed instructions at aukweb make it sound like possibly not?

"Processing the file in some software or websites can remove some of those elements and give the appearance of tracklog created by a computer.
AUK expects ‘raw data’ as far as possible."

Thanks!

I used the Strava Android app to validate my DIY, sending the GPX track to the organiser, and it was fine. However on other rides I've occasionally had issues with Strava missing out sections of the rides, joining up two points with a straight line. So proof of passage is a good idea for backup.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000