Author Topic: Team Sky Announcement  (Read 17332 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Team Sky Announcement
« Reply #75 on: 27 February, 2009, 11:23:59 pm »
Indeed, TinO. I think that is what has sparked ire and mirth, rather than the content of their message.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #76 on: 28 February, 2009, 08:06:26 am »
I'm sure people can think of less savoury sponsors in the past.

Some that were unsavoury, and some that went that way!

I almost ended up riding for Durex years ago (I was fine with that, but some team members were Catholics and were very unhappy with the prospect)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #77 on: 28 February, 2009, 06:10:44 pm »
Bit surprised at the negativity here.  Sky are putting a sizeable bunch of cash in to our sport at both a grass-roots and elite level and folks just want to be smart-arse about it.

British cynicism?

Very surprised and disappointed here.

If one does not care about competitive cycling, one can ignore the "Racing" board and be "more constructive" elsewhere...

As one who has been "smart arsed" about this subject I would offer the following ...

Firstly, Did the thread start in Racing?  I thought it was started in Rides and Touring?

Secondly, I think Sky's sponsorship is welcome, very welcome.  I don't give a rat's bottom about racing but enjoy the TdF and would like to see GB do better.

Thirdly, yes, I think some British cnynasism is at work here.  I can't see what's wrong with that.  It should be possible to take the pi55 and be supportive at the same time.

StanThomas

« Reply #78 on: 28 February, 2009, 09:55:33 pm »
Well, we're going to get a chance to 'put up'. Team Sky have a block entry of 50 places in the Polka Dot Challenge. Anyone want to give them a try?

« Reply #79 on: 01 March, 2009, 08:32:27 am »
Well, we're going to get a chance to 'put up'. Team Sky have a block entry of 50 places in the Polka Dot Challenge. Anyone want to give them a try?

Which isn't a race!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #80 on: 01 March, 2009, 08:37:36 am »
I almost ended up riding for Durex years ago (I was fine with that, but some team members were Catholics and were very unhappy with the prospect)
What do they have against Australian adhesive tape?  I can't find anything about that in the Bible.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

StanThomas

« Reply #81 on: 01 March, 2009, 07:20:12 pm »

Which isn't a race!

Could be, if we wanted it to be? YACF audaxers versus Team Sky?

« Reply #82 on: 01 March, 2009, 10:12:52 pm »
What do they have against Australian adhesive tape?  I can't find anything about that in the Bible.

You are actually very near  reality! At the time London Rubber Company (Durex) sponsored a motor racing team. The sponsorship was not allowed in Ireland, and was transferred for the week to an Irish brick company called --- Durex!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #83 on: 04 March, 2009, 02:25:00 pm »
Oh dear, Cav has said, in fairly strong terms, that he's just not interested in the Sky offer.
Getting there...

Cat

« Reply #84 on: 04 March, 2009, 08:36:10 pm »
Ah well theres plenty of other good riders.

Its good that Sky are sponsoring a team... so long as you can still watch TdF etc on freeview. And getting a British rider to win the TdF would be great if a little far fetched en ce moment.

God forbid they take cyling off freeview. How else would those who dont find it incredibly dull get their fix??

« Reply #85 on: 04 March, 2009, 10:56:05 pm »
Oh dear, Cav has said, in fairly strong terms, that he's just not interested in the Sky offer.
Lots can change in 2 years.  At present Cav has everything he wants/needs from a team, as long as that continues he's not likely to want a change, but who knows what will happen?

BTW I think it's a good thing, he'd cost a lot and is pretty high maintenance, which you don't need at startup time. Chance for others to develop and shine.

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

bikenerd

« Reply #86 on: 05 March, 2009, 08:57:28 am »
God forbid they take cyling off freeview. How else would those who dont find it incredibly dull get their fix??

ITV are losing money at the moment, as was all over the news yesterday.
Hopefully their Phil'n'Paul show for the TdF won't be one of the casualties of the money saving exercise.

fuzzy

« Reply #87 on: 06 March, 2009, 07:06:36 pm »
Well, I'm all for a Team GB attempt at the TdF. If it is sponsored by Sky, who cares. As long as it is sponsored and funded by someone who doesn't do a runner like the new pro team a few years ago that signed a number of top riders and staff then suddenly stopped playing.

The team will get my support.

Well done Sky :thumbsup:

BTW Sky, as you read this thread (if you read it), you may well come to the conclusion that many folk here are complete arses. Well, fear not. Stick with us and you will soon realise- you were right- they ARE arses- and we love them for it :-*

« Reply #88 on: 06 March, 2009, 07:57:21 pm »
BTW Sky, as you read this thread (if you read it) ...

Don't hold your breath, the last time the user was active was "2009-02-26T09:30:30Z", half an hour or so after they posted the OP.
Actually, it is rocket science.

ChrisO

« Reply #89 on: 07 March, 2009, 02:12:04 pm »
Why would you want Cav in a team whose stated ambition is to win the TdF ?

Have any of the great sprinters of recent years ridden for podium-chasing teams ? McEwen, Hushovd, Boonen, Cipollini, Petacchi. Only Zabel who was on Telekom.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #90 on: 07 March, 2009, 09:04:57 pm »
Bit surprised at the negativity here.  Sky are putting a sizeable bunch of cash in to our sport at both a grass-roots and elite level and folks just want to be smart-arse about it.

British cynicism?

+1 any one sticking cash in to British Road racing can't be all bad, plus Dave Brailsford should be a good influence.   :thumbsup:
 Save the piss taking for people who have settled in "Eh peeps"  ;D

PS does this mean we get discount on SKY +  ;)

"Don't stop pedalling"

simonp

« Reply #91 on: 07 March, 2009, 09:20:11 pm »

British cynicism?

+1 any one sticking cash in to British Road racing can't be all bad, plus Dave Brailsford should be a good influence.   :thumbsup:
 Save the piss taking for people who have settled in "Eh peeps"  ;D

PS does this mean we get discount on SKY +  ;)

I don't think cynicism is the right word.  I liken it to the "why don't you post something about cycling" posts.

LindaG

« Reply #92 on: 19 July, 2012, 01:01:58 pm »
(Ahem)

Bump!  We have exalted company within our numbers.

fuzzy

« Reply #93 on: 19 July, 2012, 01:21:17 pm »
Beat me to it LindaG- I was looking for this thread to remind myself exactly what the original stated aims were :thumbsup:

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #94 on: 19 July, 2012, 01:56:22 pm »
(Ahem)

Bump!  We have exalted company within our numbers.

Brad posting from his mobile? Dave Millar tweeting YACF TT info? Cav giving directional advice in Audax?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #95 on: 19 July, 2012, 02:15:23 pm »
After expending so much energy in the Pyrénées the cry has finally been made ...

"We need pickled eggs and we need them now!"

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #96 on: 19 July, 2012, 02:32:19 pm »
And of course, Lance's famous corner cutting (different team, I know, but same game) was obviously inspired by the Thursday Night Pubbe Runs and their COR element specifically.

I wonder if each Arrivee has a suitably placed pub selling Copper Dragon and chips?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

simonp

« Reply #97 on: 19 July, 2012, 02:54:52 pm »
Can I ask that you insist the team wear beards please.

Sideburns not good enough?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #98 on: 19 July, 2012, 03:17:11 pm »
Can I ask that you insist the team wear beards please.

Sideburns not good enough?

I'm surprised Wiggle or some-such haven't started selling stick on Wiggo sideburns.  I'd buy a pair.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #99 on: 19 July, 2012, 03:19:43 pm »
Cut-out-and-keep sideburns in The Sun the other day.

a great mind thinks alike