Author Topic: Red Kites  (Read 12179 times)

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
Red Kites
« on: 23 January, 2011, 05:39:53 pm »
On the edge of Welwyn Garden City, of all places.  They were around here today and yesterday.

It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

border-rider

Re: Red Kites
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2011, 05:42:46 pm »
Def. kites :)

« Reply #2 on: 23 January, 2011, 05:43:32 pm »
Forked tail on a raptor = Red Kite.

Seeing them over Welwyn Garden City shouldn't really be a surprise, they have been spreading from the Chilterns for years now.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #3 on: 23 January, 2011, 05:54:35 pm »
They've spread well into Northants and even into Leicestershire. I saw one or two in the Lambourn Downs yesterday.

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 23 January, 2011, 05:59:19 pm »
They've spread well into Northants and even into Leicestershire. I saw one or two in the Lambourn Downs yesterday.

They've been in the Lambourn Valley for a long time.  There wear  couple of pairs there when we lived in Lambourn; saw them over the garden quite often

I saw the first one in that area about 15 years ago, near Didcot. It was sufficiently unusual then that people were pulling over to look.

« Reply #5 on: 23 January, 2011, 05:59:23 pm »
There's a large colony around the M40. Here's a rather good walk around the Chiltern's for 'em http://www.chilternsociety.org.uk/dloads/walk-leaflets/general/RedKitewalkJuly07.pdf

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 23 January, 2011, 06:05:48 pm »

They've been in the Lambourn Valley for a long time.  There wear  couple of pairs there when we lived in Lambourn; saw them over the garden quite often

I saw the first one in that area about 15 years ago, near Didcot. It was sufficiently unusual then that people were pulling over to look.
They're now several-a-day in Didcot (my record is 7 in one place). They were released/nurtured in Watlington (near the M40 cutting where most people see them).
At Christmas we actually saw buzzards flying amongst kites over the rubbish tip (+1,000 gulls of course!). That was a first. (Buzzards outnumber them around Lambourn.)

So they're all over the Chilterns, and I've seen a few in the Lambourn Downs, but I haven't seen any in the Cotswolds - which are as close to Watlington as Lambourn is. Any advance on that?

(Didn't know about Northants/Leics.)

Didcot also gets a few smaller brown raptors - possibly Marsh Harriers? Yet to see one close enough to be sure.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

border-rider

« Reply #7 on: 23 January, 2011, 06:19:47 pm »

Didcot also gets a few smaller brown raptors - possibly Marsh Harriers? Yet to see one close enough to be sure.

I'd say so.  I saw what I think was one outside Chilton a few times.

« Reply #8 on: 23 January, 2011, 07:42:10 pm »
They're now several-a-day in Didcot (my record is 7 in one place). They were released/nurtured in Watlington (near the M40 cutting where most people see them).
At Christmas we actually saw buzzards flying amongst kites over the rubbish tip (+1,000 gulls of course!). That was a first. (Buzzards outnumber them around Lambourn.)

So they're all over the Chilterns, and I've seen a few in the Lambourn Downs, but I haven't seen any in the Cotswolds - which are as close to Watlington as Lambourn is. Any advance on that?
They've been common over Reading for years, but until recently, I'd not seen any further south. SW of Reading, I used to see quite a few buzzards, but now they've been joined by kites.

Their spread is definitely uneven. Conditioned by food supply? Nesting sites?

"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #9 on: 23 January, 2011, 08:19:42 pm »

They were introduced to Rockingham Forest near Corby and appear to be doing very well there.  I guess that they can sneak over the border on day trips into Leicestershire.

« Reply #10 on: 24 January, 2011, 12:45:56 pm »
One was spotted yesterday at Huntley, a few miles west of Gloucester.

iakobski

« Reply #11 on: 24 January, 2011, 01:27:41 pm »

They were introduced to Rockingham Forest near Corby and appear to be doing very well there.  I guess that they can sneak over the border on day trips into Leicestershire.

Yes, had a pair circling over my house yesterday. They frequently block the single track roads round here (Rockingham Forest), the wingspan of a fully grown one virtually spans the road.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #12 on: 24 January, 2011, 02:14:55 pm »
They're sneaking south from the Chilterns at an alarming rate and can often be seen over Uxbridge so perhaps they are going to go urban too.

(might eat the foxes  ;D)
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

border-rider

« Reply #13 on: 24 January, 2011, 02:18:53 pm »
We saw a fair number of them doing just that (eating a fox) on the Mille Cymru, on the road from Aberystwyth to Devils Bridge.  They're primarily scavengers, though, so it was a very dead fox that seemed to have been run over and chucked over the wall.

I used to see them in the Lambourn Valley following the farmer ploughing fields, and picking off insects and stuff from the earth.

« Reply #14 on: 24 January, 2011, 02:21:02 pm »
I was photographing birds at Stanborough this morning an an elderly couple had seen Red Kites off the A414 by the travellers  encampment earlier.

« Reply #15 on: 24 January, 2011, 08:26:29 pm »
Its nice to see them spreading. Moved to west wales, not far from Tregaron 28 years ago, at that time there was 5 breeding pairs in the cambrian mountains.
Not only were the nest sites  a state secret , the gurkhas protected them as part of their operational duties on exercise. Every now and again when you are out on the mountains , you would see soldiers and thats what they were doing.

I now see them on a daily basis and at certain times of the day , generally an hour before dusk you can see 30 plus in one hit .

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #16 on: 24 January, 2011, 08:34:19 pm »
Those of us in the gruppetto on The Little Willy audax saw loads of kites on Saturday.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #17 on: 24 January, 2011, 09:21:35 pm »
Its nice to see them spreading. Moved to west wales, not far from Tregaron 28 years ago, at that time there was 5 breeding pairs in the cambrian mountains.
Not only were the nest sites  a state secret , the gurkhas protected them as part of their operational duties on exercise. Every now and again when you are out on the mountains , you would see soldiers and thats what they were doing.

I now see them on a daily basis and at certain times of the day , generally an hour before dusk you can see 30 plus in one hit .

I was in that area round about that time and I remember being made up to have seen a pair of kites.  Later that year, we went to Minorca and I was almost disappointed to find they are like starlings in number there!

« Reply #18 on: 24 January, 2011, 09:44:28 pm »
There are always red kites hovering above some houses down the road from where my parents-in- law live, in Berkshire. I've counted a couple of dozen at a time.

Lovely to see them floating around on the thermals.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #19 on: 25 January, 2011, 01:01:31 am »
They've become so common by us (South Ceredigion - North Carmarthnshire), that we  look up wondering, "Is that a Buzzard?  Oh no, it's just a kite".
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #20 on: 25 January, 2011, 01:18:44 am »

Mis-read as
Lovely to see them floating around in their thermals.

Bit old, are they, by you?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #21 on: 25 January, 2011, 08:16:30 am »
There was a breeding colony set up in North Hampshire some years back, so now they are frequently seen around the A34, and the Northern part of Hampshire generally.  Occasionally seen in South Hampshire, but buzzards are the most frequently seen bird of prey round here (Waterlooville area).  On the bird front, I am disappointed that my "anti-heron protection force" a bunch of crows, have buggered off, as we gave up providing specific crow food, as the bloody pigeons ate it all.  Strangely our anti pigeon wire mesh house over the ground feeder has disappeared overnight.  A pretty odd thing to steal, or has a fox got its stupid head stuck in it, and run away in panic?
Wombat

« Reply #22 on: 25 January, 2011, 09:34:32 am »

Mis-read as
Lovely to see them floating around in their thermals.

Bit old, are they, by you?

It has been a bit parky recently.  ;D

« Reply #23 on: 25 January, 2011, 10:28:24 am »
Still haven't spotted Red Kites in WGC but this fella tried to overfly my head yesterday

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24 on: 25 January, 2011, 11:03:13 am »
Still haven't spotted Red Kites in WGC but this fella tried to overfly my head yesterday

"Tried" ? Was there a bird/hat collision?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles